Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
maken

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by maken »

fgsfds, you are an absolute God to me now. I love Doom so much. Having a proper port with music support is all I've ever wanted, and here it finally is. Thank you, thank you so much. I don't know jack about code, but I know some design things. Maybe I could whip up some livearea assets (not that they currently aren't nice)? :)

One thing I am trying to fix by looking at the config files is the turning speed. I don't know it is because I have auto-run enabled or not, but turning is very jerky. Shooting can be a little hit or miss (literally) sometimes, it feels a bit like there is a delay between pressing the trigger and when the weapons are fired.
deathblade200 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:29 pm so I'm not saying this in a d.ick way but is there no way to scale the graphics so they aren't pixelated? I mean even the 3ds version is less pixelated
To be fair, the 3DS's screen is almost 1/4 the size resolution wise as the Vita's, hence why it doesn't look pixelated there.

Edit: Made some stuff and submitted it as a pull request on github!
Advertising
deathblade200

Post by deathblade200 »

I actually double the resolution on the 3ds which you aren't able to do on the vita to make it look crisp
Advertising
Last edited by deathblade200 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fgsfds

Post by fgsfds »

maken wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 pm ...
When the run button is held (or always run is enabled), the first several ticks of turning happen at normal speed, after that you start rotating fast. It's vanilla Doom behavior, presumably to allow fine aim control. I suppose it's more suited for keyboards than analog sticks, that's why I plan to add a "mouse mode" for the right analog for more precise control in the next releases. I have also noticed some input delay, not sure why it happens yet.

Thanks for the LiveArea stuff, it's pretty nice. I merged your pull request.
deathblade200 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:18 pm I actually double the resolution on the 3ds which you aren't able to do on the vita to make it look crisp atleast not yet
Chocolate Doom doesn't have official support for 2x resolution. Crispy Doom does, but it doesn't support anything except Doom, so I ported Chocolate instead. I guess I could try adding it to the Vita port later.
deathblade200

Post by deathblade200 »

fgsfds wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:20 pm
maken wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 pm ...
deathblade200 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:18 pm I actually double the resolution on the 3ds which you aren't able to do on the vita to make it look crisp atleast not yet
Chocolate Doom doesn't have official support for 2x resolution. Crispy Doom does, but it doesn't support anything except Doom, so I ported Chocolate instead. I guess I could try adding it to the Vita port later.
yeah I figured it didn't after even trying it on my computer but I'm not one of those people that are like extremely a.nal about graphics (I played this game when I was like 3 years old when it came out and still play a lot of retro games lol) I'm just used to playing doomgles which just makes the pixels look very apparent to me after getting used to the crisp textures
fgsfds

Post by fgsfds »

deathblade200 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:27 pm ...
DoomGLES probably uses bilinear filtering on level textures and sprites themselves. This is not possible in Chocolate Doom, as the entire game is rendered in software, and I can only apply various filters to the resulting frame, which is why stuff like scale2x would probably look like ***. 2x resolution would somewhat improve things for you, though, if I manage to implement it.
deathblade200

Post by deathblade200 »

fgsfds wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:44 pm
deathblade200 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:27 pm ...
DoomGLES probably uses bilinear filtering on level textures and sprites themselves. This is not possible in Chocolate Doom, as the entire game is rendered in software, and I can only apply various filters to the resulting frame, which is why stuff like scale2x would probably look like ***. 2x resolution would somewhat improve things for you, though, if I manage to implement it.
oh I know it won't look as good but it would look much better than it currently does I mean currently it looks about the same as the ps1 version of doom
AntiZen

Post by AntiZen »

To be clear: this is not do-able on 3.67?
fgsfds

Post by fgsfds »

It turns out Chocolate Doom does not fully support FreeDoom, so be wary of savegame overflows and other limit-related bugs when playing it. It seems to work fine at least on the first few maps of both Phase 1 and Phase 2, though, and you can still use Phase 1 as an IWAD to play Ultimate Doom PWADs and FreeDM to play Doom 2 PWADs. There should also be a config option in chocolate-doom.cfg that lets you disable the savegame and demo limits.
Chex Quest is fully supported and the game loads the DEH patch automatically when chex.wad is named properly. Chex Quest 2 is a PWAD that uses Chex 1 (chex.wad) as an IWAD, it should also work. Chex 3 will probably crash, though.
I'm adding Chex, FreeDoom 1 & 2 and FreeDM to the launcher game list for the next release.
AntiZen wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:29 am To be clear: this is not do-able on 3.67?
It's not, as it requires HENkaku.
deathblade200

Post by deathblade200 »

so how do you setup OGG with this? all I've found is how to use flac which doesn't seem to work with this version (yet anyway)
fgsfds

Post by fgsfds »

deathblade200 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:13 am so how do you setup OGG with this? all I've found is how to use flac which doesn't seem to work with this version (yet anyway)
All I know is this, as I haven't actually tested this feature. The VIta port should look for music pack configs in ux0:/data/chocolate/music if you enable Digital music in the launcher. There is a link for an OGG music pack for Hexen on that page, maybe you can try checking if that works.
FLAC isn't supported yet because there seems to be no libFLAC port for the Vita.

Return to “HENkaku”