Latest version: Release 4 (26 Mar 2018)
Github repo: link
This is a Vita port of the Xash3D-FWGS engine, which is a FOSS recreation of the GoldSrc engine on which games like Half-Life and Counter-Strike run.
You've probably already heard of this port, but I decided to create this thread here as a more or less centralized way to get feedback.
- hardware-accelerated rendering at native resolution via vitaGL;
- multiplayer, both over LAN and online (untested);
- mod support via integrated launcher;
- touch controls (very basic);
- runs most versions of HL, including Steam, WON and Uplink.
Download (latest release):
VPK (~1.6 MB)
data.zip (~8.5 MB)
If you have a previous release of vitaXash3D installed with the full version of Half-Life, download the new data.zip and extract it to ux0:/ again, replacing everything.
If you have a previous release installed with Uplink, you'll have to delete the xash3d folder and reinstall from scratch.
- Install the VPK.
- If you have a full version of Half-Life installed, copy the valve directory from it to ux0:/data/xash3d on your Vita.
If you don't have a copy of Half-Life, download this archive containing the Half-Life Uplink demo and extract it to ux0:/.
- Extract data.zip to ux0:/. Replace everything if prompted.
- Half-Life (and HL: Uplink)
- Blue Shift
- Opposing Force
- Counter-Strike (client only)
- LEFT ANALOG: move player
- RIGHT ANALOG: move camera
- LTRIGGER: secondary fire when in game, turn on onscreen keyboard when in console
- RTRIGGER: primary fire
- CROSS: use, select menu option
- SQUARE: reload
- CIRCLE: jump
- TRIANGLE: duck
- LEFT, RIGHT: change weapon
- UP: last used weapon
- DOWN: flashlight
- START: open/close menu
- SELECT: open/close console (only works in-game)
The integrated mod selector detects all folders you have inside ux0:/data/xash3d as mods and lists them for selection.
To install a mod, just copy its folder (e. g. darkstar for USS Darkstar, bshift for Blue Shift, gearbox for Opposing Force) to ux0:/data/xash3d, but make sure to not replace any files.
Additional game libraries
This is a list of all the game libraries I have ported to the Vita that are not yet stable enough to be included in a mainline release. Use at your own risk. To install these, first install the mod they're for, then follow the instructions on the release page for the library.
- Counter-Strike server (includes bots)
Read this before asking questions:
- The port is still very much a work in progress. Performance is subpar and there are numerous issues I've yet to fix. FPS is usually between 20 and 60, depending on the amount of stuff onscreen.
- Right now only Half-Life, Blue Shift, Opposing Force and Counter-Strike game libraries have been ported to the Vita. They are included in data.zip since Release 3 (CS since Release 4).
- To enable debugging features and ability to open console in the menu, run the game in debug mode by pressing TRIANGLE instead of CROSS in the mod launcher. This will also write the console log to ux0:/data/xash3d/engine.log.
- If you're having trouble aiming, try turning on Autoaim in Configuration -> Controls -> Adv controls and/or lowering analog sensitivity for Pitch and Yaw in Configuration -> Gamepad. You can also invert any axis on either analog in the same menu by ticking the appropriate Invert checkbox. Pitch and yaw seem to be swapped for some reason, though.
- Saving takes a really long time, sometimes up to two minutes, loading is also slow, but not as much. This is a known issue and I'm working on fixing it. When the game hangs at a random point or when you enter a new map, it's probably autosaving, so wait until it finishes. If you want, you can disable autosaves in Configuration -> Game options.
- Multiplayer works with any Xash3D server as long as it's compatible with this port, meaning it has to be running the same mod/game as you on either Xash3D-FWGS v0.19 or Xash3D build 3366, otherwise it will probably crash during connection. Hosting a server on your Vita and joining it also should work, at least over LAN.
- The game will download any maps and resources you don't have when you join a server automatically, as long as you enable Allow download in Configuration -> Game options.
- Playing multiplayer and running other mods requires the full version of Half-Life.
- You can install Uplink as a mod alongside the full version by copying just the uplink folder from the Uplink archive linked above.
- If you need to navigate number menus like this one in Counter-Strike, install the CS server library linked above. It includes a new touch button that pops up a numeric keypad when used.
- Expect every new release to be incompatible with some or all saves from previous releases.
- If your question is not answered in this section, check the README and the issues list on Github first.
- Uncle Mike & co for Xash3D and FWGS team for Xash3D-FWGS;
- Vita SDK Team for the Vita SDK;
- Rinnegatamante for vitaGL, vitaQuake/vitaQuakeII and general advice;
- ArkSource for the Live Area stuff;
- KINGGOLDrus for some launcher graphics;
- everyone on the #henkaku and #vitasdk IRC channels for help and/or testing.