Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] HCL-Vita - Hydra Castle Labyrinth port for PSVITA

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
Rinnegatamante
VIP

[RELEASE] HCL-Vita - Hydra Castle Labyrinth port for PSVITA

Post by Rinnegatamante »

HCL-Vita v.1.1.1

HCL-Vita is a port of Hydra Castle Labyrinth for PSVITA.
Hydra Castle Labyrinth, originally Meikyuujou Hydra, is a freeware Indie platformer developed by E. Hashimoto, a.k.a. Buster, and released on his website. The original game was entirely in Japanese, but saw a translation patch months after its original creation.
The game hearkens back to early "Metroidvania" games like Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious and Legacy of the Wizard: the player explores an immense maze-like dungeon, collecting tools and keys that allow them to proceed deeper. Certain areas are cordoned off from the main dungeon area, and each presents a more linear zone with a boss at the end. The player can find new equipment to make themselves stronger as well.

Controls

Cross = Jump
Square = Attack
Triangle = Change current screen border
Select = Open Pause Menu
Start = Open Inventory
Up = Interact with objects and save points
DPad = Move the character

Credits

- EasyRPG Team for the audio decoder used to port the audio code.
- E. Hashimoto for the original game.
- SwItChBlAdEfUrY‏ and Brandonheat8 for additional screen borders.
- XandridFire, Billy McLaughin II, Styde Pregny, Jaden Emrich, Ramerson Wesley Araújo, temp_anon, Setiyagung, 2Mourty, Edd, gnmmarechal, Bryan Hanbury, Gelson Oris Maciel Silva for their awesome support on Patreon.

Screenshots
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Links

Sourcecode: https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/HCL-Vita
Download: http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/347

If you like my work, you can support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante
Advertising
Last edited by Rinnegatamante on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you want, visit my website: http://rinnegatamante.it :D
svenn

Re: [RELEASE] HCL-Vita - Hydra Castle Labyrinth port for PSV

Post by svenn »

Fun game, I will be testing it on my trainride this evening, thanks for the port !
Advertising
Berion2

Post by Berion2 »

I love metroidvanias.

Could You add option to change button mappings? Circle for jump and simultaneously square for attack is unhandy for me. Better choice would be cross for jump. I often accidentally pressing triangle in such mapping. :/

Could You make our hero going faster on ladder?

How can I opening chests? ;) None of the buttons works so I need some special item for this? I'm playing on PSTV.

Could You merge game resources and executable+meta into one package? And/or let the game reading it from uma0 (I don't want mount uma0 as ux0 because Vita OS making mess on it)?

And thanks for the port! ^^
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

Berion2 wrote:I love metroidvanias.

Could You add option to change button mappings? Circle for jump and simultaneously square for attack is unhandy for me. Better choice would be cross for jump. I often accidentally pressing triangle in such mapping. :/

Could You make our hero going faster on ladder?

How can I opening chests? ;) None of the buttons works so I need some special item for this? I'm playing on PSTV.

Could You merge game resources and executable+meta into one package? And/or let the game reading it from uma0 (I don't want mount uma0 as ux0 because Vita OS making mess on it)?

And thanks for the port! ^^
1) I'll probably move the jump action to X on next update.
2) No, it would break game balance since there are sections where you have to time your ladder climbing to avoid getting hit.
3) Up button. It's also listed on OP.
4) That would make adding new screen borders impossible. As for reading from uma0, it can be easily done by modifying the source code.
Berion2

Post by Berion2 »

Ad1. Thanks!

Ad2. Sure, I only played a little while.

Ad3. And seems it doesn't work. If chests are red boxes, I'm standing near any of them or at them, pressing up and nothing happens. In example saves by up in save points works. That's why I ask. ;]

Ad4a. I'm not sure what have in mind by screen borders. If "ux0:/data/HCL/borders/*.png", why not? "ux0:/app/" is not encrypted by PFS so anyone could add anything to i.e "ux0:/app/HYDCASLAB/data/borders/" or just repacked VPK and installing it again.

Ad4b. Could You just add this feature as seeking prioritize? In example game could checking first "ux0:/data/HCL/" if not find, trying load resources from "uma0:/data/HCL/".
Yadda

Post by Yadda »

Thanks for the port, unfortunately it doesn't work for me (vita 2k, sd2vita). When I try to start the game, I get the following error:

C2-12828-1
Saved Core File Succeeded.
ux0:data/psp2core-1510391272-
0x0000122fa5-eboot.bin.psp2dmp

-
In the dmp file it says it's a Data abort exception.
EPC SceLibKernel + 0x000003A0
Cause 0x00030004
BadVAddr 0x0000001C

There is some more info, do you need it?
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

Berion2 wrote:Ad1. Thanks!

Ad2. Sure, I only played a little while.

Ad3. And seems it doesn't work. If chests are red boxes, I'm standing near any of them or at them, pressing up and nothing happens. In example saves by up in save points works. That's why I ask. ;]

Ad4a. I'm not sure what have in mind by screen borders. If "ux0:/data/HCL/borders/*.png", why not? "ux0:/app/" is not encrypted by PFS so anyone could add anything to i.e "ux0:/app/HYDCASLAB/data/borders/" or just repacked VPK and installing it again.

Ad4b. Could You just add this feature as seeking prioritize? In example game could checking first "ux0:/data/HCL/" if not find, trying load resources from "uma0:/data/HCL/".
I'll see for the 4th points if i can find a nice way to deal with it.
For the 3th points: all standard controls are correctly binded in the code. It means that probably such chests are not available at that precise moment (requiring a key maybe?) if no controls open them.
Yadda wrote:Thanks for the port, unfortunately it doesn't work for me (vita 2k, sd2vita). When I try to start the game, I get the following error:

C2-12828-1
Saved Core File Succeeded.
ux0:data/psp2core-1510391272-
0x0000122fa5-eboot.bin.psp2dmp

-
In the dmp file it says it's a Data abort exception.
EPC SceLibKernel + 0x000003A0
Cause 0x00030004
BadVAddr 0x0000001C

There is some more info, do you need it?
Had you installed Data Files? Zip file must be extracted in ux0:data.
Yadda

Post by Yadda »

Duh, I hadn't unzipped it.
For anyone who runs into the same issue, just use Vitashell to go into the zip file, copy the HCL folder, then paste it into ux0:data, it'll automatically be unzipped by Vitashell.

Unfortunately the game is a pain to play unless you remap the controls. I'd much prefer the classic Super Mario layout: A (=O on a PlayStation controller) to jump, and B (=X on a PlayStation controller) to shoot (and run in Super Mario).

That layout has basically been standard for all platformers/sidescrollers for 30 years.
Berion2

Post by Berion2 »

@Rinnegatamante
Thanks.
About: up button. I'll play a little longer and see if some chests cab be open by up. I just read that up opening chests, and all chests are the same, that's why I was thinking it's not work.

@Yadda
All Europeans have thumb finger oriented to left, not right, so the best mapping be X for jump and [_] for attack. ;)) If sword would be mapped to circle, it forces to keep joypad in unnatural position for human. I never understand why Asians prefers this.
Yadda

Post by Yadda »

You can keep your thumb above both circle (A) and X (B) at once or move it up and down (like the hand of a clock) at the joint. It makes perferct sense for the higher button (circle, A) to represent jumping (because you jump up). That's why console games have used this control scheme for more than 40 years.

Return to “HENkaku”