Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Unsafe Homebrew Rant

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
ANU815

Unsafe Homebrew Rant

Post by ANU815 »

Please don't take this the wrong way. I can't express how thankful I am for all of the work that has been done in the Vita scene. I really appreciate that team Molecule and thefl0W/TN were looking to protect all of us as much as possible. However, I find the "unsafe" homebrew feature to be pretty inconvenient. Console hacking scenes from day 1 have been risky to users. There have even been a small handful of cases where malicious brew was released that nuked/bricked devices or stole IDPS. However, I've never had to turn on an "unsafe" homebrew setting and clicked "yes" when installing every, single application before like we do with henkaku and vitashell. This was really inconvenient recently when loading brew and games on a brand new Vita with a 128gb SD2Vita. I tried using the vitashell "install all" option, only to have to check back every 5 minutes to click "yes" for the warning about unsafe apps. Considering I needed to go out of my way to install henkaku, then enso, then vitashell proof enough that I understand that some apps may be harmful to my Vita and I'm willing to take the risk installing them? Hopefully this is taken as constructive feedback.
Advertising
OperationNT

Re: Unsafe Homebrew Rant

Post by OperationNT »

This subject has been discussed many times when Henkaku was launched 1 year ago.
On the PS Vita, a bricker is really easy to make in less than 10 code lines and, at the opposite of most other hacked consoles, there is no public common way to create a full NAND backup and restore it when the console is bricked.

You can still keep the option to run "unsafe" homebrew permanently active if you like to live in a dangerous world.
But I strongly advise you to, at least, use this program in order to "lock" capabilities of homebrews or dumps you don't trust before running them on your PS Vita:
https://github.com/MPTSakurada/SafeDump ... s/tag/v1.1
Advertising
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

If you want to get rid of those warnings, you can download your homebrews with VHBB. It will never ask about your permission.
If you want, visit my website: http://rinnegatamante.it :D
ANU815

Post by ANU815 »

@OperationNT thanks for sending along that app. I'll give it a shot. I guess at the very least it would be nice to have an option in henkaku settings to disable this feature. Maybe it will happen as the VSH plugin and/henkaku settings evolve.

@Rinn good idea, thanks for sharing.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

OperationNT wrote:This subject has been discussed many times when Henkaku was launched 1 year ago.
On the PS Vita, a bricker is really easy to make in less than 10 code lines and, at the opposite of most other hacked consoles, there is no public common way to create a full NAND backup and restore it when the console is bricked.

You can still keep the option to run "unsafe" homebrew permanently active if you like to live in a dangerous world.
But I strongly advise you to, at least, use this program in order to "lock" capabilities of homebrews or dumps you don't trust before running them on your PS Vita:
https://github.com/MPTSakurada/SafeDump ... s/tag/v1.1
This^
It exists because the "community" thought bricking random peoples systems was fun,. It can be disabled in a single option in the settings if you don't want it.

*Lock*
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

Return to “HENkaku”