Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Release] Higurashi: When They Cry Vita Port

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
MyLegGuy

[Release] Higurashi: When They Cry Vita Port

Post by MyLegGuy »

(Except for the screenshots, the OP is completely spoiler free.)
v2.9.4.1 is out! (2/18/20)
dmaskell92's PS3 patch Meakashi v1.0 is out! (11/18/17 11:04 AM)
v1.7.3 Script Converter is out! (5/31/20)

This is a port of the Higurashi: When They Cry remakes available on Steam and MangaGamer. It supports the updated character graphics and the PS3 Graphics & Voices patch. As of 11/18/17, all of the ones that are out work. Meakashi only works if you install the PS3 Voices & Graphics patch too.

This requires the files from the Steam or MangaGamer versions of any of MangaGamer's Higurashi remakes.

The script converter is made with C#. If you're on Windows, you can run it with the .NET Framework that you probably already have. If you're on Linux or macOS, you need a program called Mono to run it. I've personally tested this on Debian 9. If it doesn't work, make sure you update the .NET Framework or Mono.
PS3 Patch Installation (text tutorial)
This is done BEFORE you use the script converter.

The PS3 patch is being changed so often that I can't keep up.
For now, I don't think I'll support the version where they mod the game's code.
Here are instructions for installing the release right before the DLL changes.

AUTO INSTALLER (Windows & Linux only)
====================
Step 1 - Download my auto-installer.
Step 2 - Extract the ZIP file.
Step 3 - Run HigurashiPS3AutoC. Windows users can double click the program. Linux users can run "run.sh."
Step 4 - When prompted, enter the game you want to install the patch for.
Step 5 - When prompted, enter 6. This is the option labeled "Install the older Higurashi-Vita compatible version."
Step 6 - When prompted, enter the file path to your game instillation's data folder. If the program can automatically detect the location, you can just press enter without typing anything to use the example.
Step 7 - Wait for it to finish. This can take a while depending on your internet speed and computer speed.

MANUAL INSTRUCTIONS
====================
Step 1 - Find your StreamingAssets folder. For me, chapter 2's StreamingAssets folder was at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Higurashi 02 - Watanagashi\HigurashiEp02_Data\StreamingAssets.
Step 2 - Head here.
Step 3 - Select one of the files you see on the Github page. The file you choose depends on which chapter of the game you are patching. For example, if I was patching chapter 2, Watanagashi, I would open "watanagashi.urls"
Step 4 - After you open the file, you'll see a bunch of URLs. Download all of them by copying and pasting them into your browser's URL bar. There should be 4 in total.
Step 5 - Unzip all of the files you just downloaded.
Step 5.5 - After unzipping the files you downloaded, you should see folders with names like "Update", "SE", "CG", and "CGAlt".
Step 6 - Move these folders into your StreamingAssets folder. If done correctly, you should be asked if you want to overwrite some files. Choose to do so.
PS3 Patch Installation (video tutorial)
Setup (text tutorial)
You need to actually own the games on Steam. Link to the first chapter on Steam for $5.99.

Step 0 - If you want the PS3 Voices & Graphics patch, install it first. Refer to the instructions in this post.
Step 1 - Download the script and image converter.
Step 2 - Extract the ZIP file.
Step 3 - The next step is to get the files from the Higurashi game you want. It's slightly different if you bought the game from MangaGamer. For Steam, right click on of the Higurashi game on Steam and click "Properties" at the bottom of the menu. Then click "LOCAL FILES" and then "BROWSE LOCAL FILES".
Step 5 - A folder will be opened showing the game's files. Look inside the folder called HigurashiEpXX_Data. Copy the folder called "StreamingAssets".
Step 6 - Paste StreamingAssets in the same directory as the extracted script converter program.
Step 7 - Run HigurashiVitaCovnerter.exe.
Step 7.2 - When prompted by the program, enter 0 because we're converting for the Vita.
Step 7.5 - As a quick way to check if the conversion worked, check if your StreamingAssets folder was renamed.
Step 8 - When it's finished, take the StreamingAssets folder and put it at ux0:data/HIGURASHI/Games/.
Setup (video tutorial)
Usage
On the title screen, you can load a game folder to play the game in an elegant, user friendly way. If it says that no preset files were found, you've done something wrong. Make sure you remembered to convert the game files and put them at ux0:data/HIGURASHI/Games/.

You may want to have a look at the settings. From there, can change the bust (character art) location. The options are "CG" or "CGAlt". Normally, "CG" is the original graphics and "CGAlt" is the Steam graphics. If you have the PS3 patch then "CG" is the PS3 character sprites. When changing the bust location, a sample image will be shown. You may also want to overclock the CPU if you're using the PS3 patch. If you're having trouble hearing the voices over the background music, you can lower the BGM volume and increase the SE volume. If you're not using the PS3 patch, and you want the text to start where the background starts, instead of at the edge of the screen, you can change that. If you want the message box to be darker, you can change that. If you read fast then you can change the text speed.

After loading a game folder, one of two things can happen. If it's your first time loading that game folder, you get a menu where you can either choose a chapter to start on or start a brand new game. If you've already played using that game folder before, you'll be brought to a menu. From there, you can go to the next chapter, go to a previous chapter, view TIPS, and exit.

While in game, you can press circle to toggle the text box, hold square to fast forward, press SELECT to activate Auto Mode, press triangle to access the settings, press START to access the textlog, and press X to advance.

Access the in-game menu to configure auto mode's speed. The bigger the number, the more time it waits after text is displayed. The number is in milliseconds. Hold L and press left or right to add or subtract 200. Don't hold L to add or subtract 500. Activate auto mode in game by pressing SELECT.

ADV mode is exclusive to the PS3 patch. You can choose to enable it when running the script converter, you can't toggle it in the PS Vita application.

You can put the game's data files on uma0 instead of ux0 if you want. If the uma0 folder is there, it's used.
About "preset" files and the engine
See the wiki:
https://github.com/MyLegGuy/Higurashi-Vita/wiki
You can find info about making preset files, what each command does, and more.
Please report any crashes or things that don't work in chapters 1-4.
Known issues and bugs
* Color inversion commands do nothing. This isn't used too often. Added in v2.4+.
* "Films" are used to change the screen. Ones that tint the screen a color should look fine. Ones that do anything else, like making everything black and white, are just replaced with a white filter. This may be changed eventually, but it's a small thing and I think it doesn't look too bad.
* "Filters" are used when drawing backgrounds and busts to give them a fancy entrance. I don't know how to program this well, so backgrounds and busts have simple fade in and fade out transitions. It still looks good.
Depicts two of the main characters and one of the game's settings.
So, almost no spoilers. I just thought I'd point it out because I said this is a completely spoiler free thread.
Screenshots
Normal graphics. Only takes up part of the screen. There is a setting to make the text start where the background starts, instead of at the side of the screen.
PS3 graphics. Takes up most of the screen.Image
Sexy main menu
Upgrading to game folder setup (Text Tutorial)
This tutorial is for if you're upgrading from Higurashi-Vita <= v2.3 to Higurashi-Vita >= v2.5.

Step 1 - Select the option on the main menu to upgrade to game folder setup. (If the menu option isn't there, you're good.) What we're doing here is adding preset files to StreamingAssets folders.

Step 2 (One StreamingAssets) - If you only have one StreamingAssets folder, select the preset that goes with it and be done. For example, if ux0:data/HIGURASHI/StreamingAssets/ is a folder with the game files for chapter 2, I'd choose the chapter 2 preset file and that's it.

Step 2 (Multiple StreamingAssets folders) - If you have multiple StreamingAssets folders, choose the preset files that have StreamingAssets folders to go with them. When you have multiple StreamingAssets folders, they are named StreamingAssets_<preset filename>. So if I have StreamingAssets_Ch1_Onikakushi.txt as a folder and StreamingAssets_Ch2_Watanagashi.txt as a folder, I would choose the Ch1_Onikakushi.txt and Ch2_Watanagashi.txt preset files and that's it.

Step 3 - Using VitaShell, make the folder ux0:data/HIGURASHI/Games/

Step 4 - Move all your StreamingAssets folders into ux0:data/HIGURASHI/Games/.
Upgrading to game folder setup (Video Tutorial)
This tutorial is for if you're upgrading from Higurashi-Vita <= v2.3 to Higurashi-Vita >= v2.5.
Sorry its shaky.
Credits -
dmaskell92 - PS3 patch Meakashi port
07th Mod - PS3 Voices & Graphics patch for PC
xerpi - libvita2d
See ux0:app/HIGURASHI/License/ for full license list

Download:
https://github.com/MyLegGuy/Higurashi-Vita/releases
Script converter download:
https://github.com/MyLegGuy/HigurashiVi ... r/releases
(Optional) PS3 Voice & Graphics patch easy installer:
https://github.com/MyLegGuy/HigurashiPS3AutoC/releases/
Advertising
Last edited by MyLegGuy on Sun May 31, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 85 times in total.
please reply
swit

Re: [Release] Higurashi: When They Cry Port

Post by swit »

Fantastic release. Higurashi, alongside Umineko and Steins;Gate, are some of the best VN out there.

I'm testing v1 and there is reproducable C2-12828-1 error right after onik_001.txt 2662 line:

Code: Select all

//「...圭一くん、お昼にしよ☆@
PlaySE(3, "s19/02/990200043", 256, 64);
OutputLine(NULL, "「…圭一くん、お昼にしよ☆」",
   NULL, "\"...Keiichi-kun, let's have lunch.☆\"", Line_WaitForInput);
OutputLineAll(NULL, "\n", Line_ContinueAfterTyping);
I think that star in above text may be a reason for this since it's the first time that it's used and the application crashes at this part.

Considering you're using icons made in paint here are all PIC0.png, ICON0.png and livearea resources from the retail Higurashi When They Cry Sui: https://www.sendspace.com/file/k69uw0

If I remember correctly Manga_Gamer's steam release of Umineko When They Cry uses the same engine as Higurashi, right? If this is the case hopefully that VN will be also supported in your project at some point. Also any plans for supporting console arcs?

I'm planning to read whole Higurashi in your Vita engine. Thank you very much for this effort.
Advertising
MyLegGuy

Post by MyLegGuy »

swit wrote:Fantastic release. Higurashi, alongside Umineko and Steins;Gate, are some of the best VN out there.

I'm testing v1 and there is reproducable C2-12828-1 error right after onik_001.txt 2662 line:

//「...圭一くん、お昼にしよ☆@
PlaySE(3, "s19/02/990200043", 256, 64);
OutputLine(NULL, "「…圭一くん、お昼にしよ☆」",
   NULL, "\"...Keiichi-kun, let's have lunch.☆\"", Line_WaitForInput);
OutputLineAll(NULL, "\n", Line_ContinueAfterTyping);
I think that star in above text may be a reason for this since it's the first time that it's used and the application crashes at this part.

Considering you're using icons made in paint here are all PIC0.png, ICON0.png and livearea resources from the retail Higurashi When They Cry Sui: https://www.sendspace.com/file/k69uw0

If I remember correctly Manga_Gamer's steam release of Umineko When They Cry uses the same engine as Higurashi, right? If this is the case hopefully that VN will be also supported in your project at some point. Also any plans for supporting console arcs?

I'm planning to read whole Higurashi in your Vita engine. Thank you very much for this effort.
I fixed the bug. Turns out, I just forgot the image files for the special characters.

Umineko runs on Ponscripter and only looks similar to Higurashi.

I don't like the startup image. Too many spoilers.
I changed the icon to Onikakushi's icon so it won't look ugly. I may change the live area's images eventually, but they're a low priority as you only see it when you launch the program, unlike the icon.

I'll add support for the console arcs as I play them. I don't know when I'll play them.

Also, I've added some additional instructions in the OP for installing the PS3 patch. Please follow them and run the script converter again. The images won't need to be converted again if you use the same StreamingAssets folder, so it'll go quick.
If you're wondering why
Because I'm using Lua to interpret the scripts, there can't be missing quotation marks or other errors.
The PS3 patch is made by humans, so it has some missing quotation marks.
However, I fixed them and pushed the changes to the Github page.
The installer for the PS3 patch uses the latest release on Github.
My changes are not in the latest release yet, so the correct scripts should be directly downloaded from the page.

I actually didn't find any errors in chapters 3 or 4. I found a few in chapter 2, and only one error in chapter 1.
please reply
swit

Post by swit »

Thanks for quick fix.

edit: false alarm. For some reason I thought that furiker_b.png animation in this onik_001.txt section:

DisableWindow();
PlaySE( 4, "wa_008", 128, 64 );
DrawScene( "black", 100 );
DrawBustshot( 5, "furiker_b", 0, 0, 0, FALSE, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 25, 5, TRUE );
PlaySE( 4, "wa_005", 128, 64 );
went into infinite loop but the button skipped it correctly (without button press furiker_b animation repeats itself). Probably I've tried to forward it before the animation was finished or something like that. Not a problem though.
MyLegGuy

Post by MyLegGuy »

swit wrote:Thanks for quick fix.

edit: false alarm. For some reason I thought that furiker_b.png animation in this onik_001.txt section:

DisableWindow();
PlaySE( 4, "wa_008", 128, 64 );
DrawScene( "black", 100 );
DrawBustshot( 5, "furiker_b", 0, 0, 0, FALSE, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 25, 5, TRUE );
PlaySE( 4, "wa_005", 128, 64 );
went into infinite loop but the button skipped it correctly (without button press furiker_b animation repeats itself). Probably I've tried to forward it before the animation was finished or something like that. Not a problem though.
Thanks for the report, I've fixed the bug.
I've also added auto mode. Check the "usage" section of the OP for details if you're interested.
please reply
Davenor

Re: [Release] Higurashi: When They Cry Vita Port

Post by Davenor »

Hi, will the port will be compatible with this version https://www.amazon.fr/dp/2953723501/ref ... KKFJTT1EVY ?

Because it is the only french version of the game, thank you.
MyLegGuy

Post by MyLegGuy »

Davenor wrote:Hi, will the port will be compatible with this version https://www.amazon.fr/dp/2953723501/ref ... KKFJTT1EVY ?

Because it is the only french version of the game, thank you.
I'm sorry, it's not.
This is a port of the improved Steam and MangaGamer version. The French one you linked seems to be the original version of the game in French, not the remake.
please reply
resistallyouwant

Post by resistallyouwant »

Hi, I'm trying to port russian version of this novel and I face with a couple of problems. When the text is displayed different symbols appear. Also, the text is moved to another line too soon, if the text is too much, then a black screen appears and nothing happens. In the English version of this I have not seen.
Attachments
symbols
symbols
2017-06-25-034321.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 40157 times
text lenght
text lenght
2017-06-25-034250.jpg (107.03 KiB) Viewed 40157 times
MyLegGuy

Post by MyLegGuy »

resistallyouwant wrote:Hi, I'm trying to port russian version of this novel and I face with a couple of problems. When the text is displayed different symbols appear. Also, the text is moved to another line too soon, if the text is too much, then a black screen appears and nothing happens. In the English version of this I have not seen.
Can you send me one of the script files in Russian for me to look at?

I've tried to fix the glitch where the text goes to the next line too early. I'm not 100% sure it will work.

The problem with the text going to the next line too soon can be fixed for sure once I have an actual Russian script file to test with.

(I've made it so there are a max of 60 letters on one line. If there are actually 60 letters, including spaces, then it's working.)

I've fixed the glitch where text runs out of space and the screen goes black.
With this fix, the text will be cleared when it runs out of space and start from the top again. It's not a perfect fix, so try to avoid running out of space after I fix the issue where not enough text is put on one line.

Here's an updated VPK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kx4l4seufyigc ... t.vpk?dl=1

Please try it and report the problems you have.
Also, this version has a text log you can access by pressing START. It's the next new feature. ;)
please reply
resistallyouwant

Post by resistallyouwant »

It works, thank you! :D no bugs have not noticed. I made screenshots.
(p.s. the scripts are old because the translate is made for a very old version of the PS3 patch)
Attachments
2017-06-26-032809.jpg
2017-06-26-032809.jpg (170.59 KiB) Viewed 40125 times
2017-06-26-032739.jpg
2017-06-26-032739.jpg (113.86 KiB) Viewed 40125 times
script.7z
(113.8 KiB) Downloaded 379 times

Return to “HENkaku”