Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] vitaQuake - Quake port for PSVITA

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
Deathscreton

Re: [RELEASE] vitaQuake - Quake port for PSVITA

Post by Deathscreton »

Rinnegatamante wrote:
MuskratDesman wrote:But what about Qurtal (Portal on the Quake engine that came out on the PSP)?
Link to the page on moddb http://www.moddb.com/games/quartal
Don't even know what this is but according to the desc, it uses Kurok engine that is a strongly modified version of Quake engine with a lot of new stuffs. (Tbh, that mod looks terrible btw, it would be a lot better to port Aperture Science from smealum to PSVITA at this point, it would probably be simpler and with a lot better results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_YR-zEEWc
Hmm... There's an idea. Maybe I'll look into this when I feel a little more confident.
Advertising
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Finally spent some time with it. Awesome port!

Can you clarify the naming of the music files?

Should they start with track001.ogg or should the first track be track002.ogg? Also, two or three zeros?

On the psp I think it started with track 2 because track 1 on the cd was a data track.

Thanks!

EDIT: I figured it out, I think the tracks have to start with number 2. I am still getting three error messages on boot up "Can't load autoexec" and two more. Is there a way of getting rid of them?
Advertising
Berion2

Post by Berion2 »

All shareware files placed in in correct path.
PSTV, latest (? 2.10) version of Quake port.
Attachments
quake_error_confcfg.png
quake_error_confcfg.png (85.71 KiB) Viewed 10773 times
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

Berion2 wrote:All shareware files placed in in correct path.
PSTV, latest (? 2.10) version of Quake port.
Press START.
If you want, visit my website: http://rinnegatamante.it :D
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

vitaQuake v.2.5 available for download, now with hardware accelerated renderer!

Changelog:
- Removed Game Resolution, Depth of Field, Always Run settings from Options menu.
- Added Fog Rendering, Dynamic Shadows, Dynamic Torch Lights settings in Options menu.
- Moved to hardware accelerated renderer powered by vitaGL.
- Added several graphics effects to the standard glQuake renderer.
- Now game will run at fixed 960x544 resolution.

Credits:
- MasterFeizz for ctrQuake source which i studied to understand how winQuake works.
- Ch0wW for several improvements and code cleanup.
- frangarcj, xerpi and Davee for helping during the journey that lead to the creation of vitaGL.
- All my Patreon supporters:
- Arkanite
- Styde Pregny
- Billy McLaughlin II
- XandridFire
- AnOtHeROnE
- Count Duckula
- Mark Knasiak
- Edd
- Defkyle
- Davenor
- Samuel Batista
- Jaden Emrich
- Elwood Blues
- Justin
- Pirloui
- Setiyagung
- Ramerson Wesley Araújo
- temp_anon
- Gelson Silva
- gnmmarechal
- Bryan Hanbury

Download: http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/10
maken

Post by maken »

Hey! This is absolutely awesome work! The vitaGL support is freaking awesome. Native res at 60fps is a beautiful thing to see! Shame not a lot of games actually made for the system run that way. :lol:

v2.5 is really great, but I do want to point out some issues I've found playing it for the past thirty minutes or so. I played a E1M1 of the main game and everything seems to be running pretty great. No hiccups, not even once! Underwater effects aren't working at all though, which makes some parts of levels unplayable due to the inability to navigate through the areas. There is some noticeable texture glitching in some areas, but more often than not these are repeated textures and not unique ones like for buttons or doors so it isn't too big of an issue.

Mods are still working, but the mod selection menu is not. I've noticed that the game boots a lot quicker now, so maybe it is too fast to register the R button being held to bring you into the mod menu (unless the hotkey changed; I tried a few other buttons to no avail). Editing the ux0:/data/Quake/mods.txt file with the game folder you want to launch still works okay though. I tested this with the official Hipnotic map pack. One thing I'd recommend if the mod menu isn't going to work anymore is to allow add a mod selection option to the settings menu similar to the one the DirectQ port has (pictured).

I did notice that enemies run at a significantly lower framerate than the environment, but I think that is because model interpolation is disabled. I tried enabling it through the console, but it wouldn't recommend any of my winQuake commands (unless I had the wrong ones).

One thing I would like to add that isn't a bug report but rather a feature request is the option to disable texture filtering and change the particle type from circles to squares. I tried changing the settings to allow for both via the console, but the commands weren't recognized. I know those may seem like odd requests though, but for old school Quake purists, the "crunchy" look is pretty nice to have!

EDIT: Turns out I was using the wrong commands to disable texture filtering. It is possible via the console by putting in "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"; this will make the textures appear in their raw, crunchy glory. The "r_particles 2" command is supposed to work in some engines to enable square particles, but it might not be enabled by default in QuakeGL-based engines.

This forum post has a lot of info on console commands I tried, along with some info on the other ports out there and how each one can get the retro "look" of the original DOS version of the game.

I was super stoked to see development on the port resumed! VitaGL is amazing and so is Quake, so seeing this is truly awesome! Thank you for all the effort you've put into putting this together!
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

maken wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 am Hey! This is absolutely awesome work! The vitaGL support is freaking awesome. Native res at 60fps is a beautiful thing to see! Shame not a lot of games actually made for the system run that way. :lol:

v2.5 is really great, but I do want to point out some issues I've found playing it for the past thirty minutes or so. I played a E1M1 of the main game and everything seems to be running pretty great. No hiccups, not even once! Underwater effects aren't working at all though, which makes some parts of levels unplayable due to the inability to navigate through the areas. There is some noticeable texture glitching in some areas, but more often than not these are repeated textures and not unique ones like for buttons or doors so it isn't too big of an issue.

Mods are still working, but the mod selection menu is not. I've noticed that the game boots a lot quicker now, so maybe it is too fast to register the R button being held to bring you into the mod menu (unless the hotkey changed; I tried a few other buttons to no avail). Editing the ux0:/data/Quake/mods.txt file with the game folder you want to launch still works okay though. I tested this with the official Hipnotic map pack. One thing I'd recommend if the mod menu isn't going to work anymore is to allow add a mod selection option to the settings menu similar to the one the DirectQ port has (pictured).

I did notice that enemies run at a significantly lower framerate than the environment, but I think that is because model interpolation is disabled. I tried enabling it through the console, but it wouldn't recommend any of my winQuake commands (unless I had the wrong ones).

One thing I would like to add that isn't a bug report but rather a feature request is the option to disable texture filtering and change the particle type from circles to squares. I tried changing the settings to allow for both via the console, but the commands weren't recognized. I know those may seem like odd requests though, but for old school Quake purists, the "crunchy" look is pretty nice to have!

EDIT: Turns out I was using the wrong commands to disable texture filtering. It is possible via the console by putting in "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"; this will make the textures appear in their raw, crunchy glory. The "r_particles 2" command is supposed to work in some engines to enable square particles, but it might not be enabled by default in QuakeGL-based engines.

This forum post has a lot of info on console commands I tried, along with some info on the other ports out there and how each one can get the retro "look" of the original DOS version of the game.

I was super stoked to see development on the port resumed! VitaGL is amazing and so is Quake, so seeing this is truly awesome! Thank you for all the effort you've put into putting this together!
Underwater bug is caused by lightmaps. (For reference, using r_fullbright solves the issue but disables shadows). Currently looking for a fix.
Model interpolation was not a feature of standard GLQuake, got added with unofficial GLQuake 1.13. It's something i'll add in future releases for sure btw together with bumpmapping and some other extra features.
GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR is not implemented in vitaGL. The only two texture modes available are GL_NEAREST and GL_LINEAR. Stick with GL_NEAREST to disable linear filtering.
big_Sakis25

Post by big_Sakis25 »

The update is awesome. Really a great improvement thanks to the vitaGL. Congrats on that!
I do have some suggestions that I'm pretty sure you already know.
I agree with all the above from maken, the underwater levels are unplayable without proper rendering.
When I enable the fog I think the draw distance is very close to you and limited. An option to adjust this will be fine.
Enemy animations are choppy without model interpolation.
Also player move speed seems very fast for me. Is there an option to adjust this?
Those where my suggestions for a more perfect experience. Other than that it's still amazing to play.

Thanks again for the great work you do and for this awesome port.
I can't wait for bumpmapping!
Colanwiser

Post by Colanwiser »

I'm excited for the coming updates. I can't believe how cool this is, it's like an official game. A couple things I noticed, all the sprites seem to be the same color, no blood. I blasted through the first few levels, but I'm gonna hold off finishing the game until I can see some blood. Also, underwater navigation is pure luck finding your way around. About bump mapping, does that mean we'll see lights bouncing off the textures? Does the engine judge that automatically? Anyway, thank you, I'm super excited to see this kind of home-brew on my vita.
stranno

Post by stranno »

Video of the 2.5 version.

Great work Rinnegatamante. It works flawlessly, except some slowdowns here and there when there are many enemies on screen, underwater and when there are lots of effects (usually close explosions). I want to try that sweet mod support.

I hope you can add the vitaGL hardware acceleration to your Q2 port.
Last edited by stranno on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HENkaku”