Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
jms209
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:27 am

How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by jms209 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:48 pm

It looks to be able to run PSP and PS1 games fine.
It can't run anything like Gamecube/PS2 onwards.

After developers learn a little more about it, can we see N64 and Sega Dream-cast emulators?
Maybe a DS emulator aswell.

So does the Vita have decent enough specs to run any of these at full speed, after some work?

Also is RetroArch going support more emualtors?
It also looks like RetroArch is still not in VPK format, so is not usable on HENkaku yet.
Advertising

User avatar
fate6
Big Beholder
Posts: 7599
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 am
Location: [fate6@Canterlot ~]$

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by fate6 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:50 pm

Take a look at what a high end smart phone can do, That.
Advertising
Image
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

jms209
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:27 am

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by jms209 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:45 am

fate6 wrote:Take a look at what a high end smart phone can do, That.
The only problem right now is optimization.
Even MGBA is slow on vita, guessing once they figure things out. we will get away better performance.
Also helps VItas resolution is 960x540 and not 1080p or QHD.

snk4ever
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 am

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by snk4ever » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:14 am

It is much less powerful than a current high-end smartphone.
The Vita uses ARM Cortex-A9 cores at max 444 MHz. The cortex A9 was used in the Samsung Galaxy S2 at 1.2 GHz (almost 3 times the clock).

PSP and PS1 work well because Sony did wonders in their own emulators. They must have some really skilled engineers.

You can expect everything the PSP has with better speed/compatibility. I think N64 is possible but won't run too well.
I don't believe in proper Dreamcast or Saturn either. No chance of seeing anything harder to emulate like GC or PS2.

DS could be possible only if Exophase does it (the guy who did gpSP and the glorious DS emulator on Pandora and Android), and I doubt he will.

User avatar
humbertosnk
Moderator
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:49 am

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by humbertosnk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:29 am

The main issue is the homebrews do not use the full potencial of the Vita, they uses only 1 core and ~25 MG ram when the machine have 4 cores, 128 MG video ram and 512 MG system ram.

eighthdayregret
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 am

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by eighthdayregret » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:17 pm

snk4ever wrote:It is much less powerful than a current high-end smartphone.
The Vita uses ARM Cortex-A9 cores at max 444 MHz. The cortex A9 was used in the Samsung Galaxy S2 at 1.2 GHz (almost 3 times the clock).

PSP and PS1 work well because Sony did wonders in their own emulators. They must have some really skilled engineers.

You can expect everything the PSP has with better speed/compatibility. I think N64 is possible but won't run too well.
I don't believe in proper Dreamcast or Saturn either. No chance of seeing anything harder to emulate like GC or PS2.

DS could be possible only if Exophase does it (the guy who did gpSP and the glorious DS emulator on Pandora and Android), and I doubt he will.
Where are you getting 444 mhz? The Vita's CPU is capable of 2 ghz.
Image
Vita WiFi/3G - 8GB - 32GB - OFW 3.36 - PS+
GoW PSP-2000 - 2GB - 8GB - 2x16GB - 2x16GB - 6.61 ME-2.3

maxivo
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by maxivo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:27 pm

eighthdayregret wrote:
snk4ever wrote:It is much less powerful than a current high-end smartphone.
The Vita uses ARM Cortex-A9 cores at max 444 MHz. The cortex A9 was used in the Samsung Galaxy S2 at 1.2 GHz (almost 3 times the clock).

PSP and PS1 work well because Sony did wonders in their own emulators. They must have some really skilled engineers.

You can expect everything the PSP has with better speed/compatibility. I think N64 is possible but won't run too well.
I don't believe in proper Dreamcast or Saturn either. No chance of seeing anything harder to emulate like GC or PS2.

DS could be possible only if Exophase does it (the guy who did gpSP and the glorious DS emulator on Pandora and Android), and I doubt he will.
Where are you getting 444 mhz? The Vita's CPU is capable of 2 ghz.
Vitas GPU is even more powerfull then thease fake specs !!!

Ronobono
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:57 am

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by Ronobono » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:39 pm

Wouldnt the vita be running quad core while the Galaxy 2 was dual core?

TehAce
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by TehAce » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:12 am

The vita has the same power as the Ipad 2 if I recall. They both have the same chip called PowerVR or something like.

eighthdayregret
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 am

Re: How powerful is the ps vita?(emulation wise)

Post by eighthdayregret » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:39 am

TehAce wrote:The vita has the same power as the Ipad 2 if I recall. They both have the same chip called PowerVR or something like.
Nope. ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore. Marvell Avastar 88W8787, to be specific.
maxivo wrote:Vitas GPU is even more powerfull then thease fake specs !!!
Fake specs?
Image
Vita WiFi/3G - 8GB - 32GB - OFW 3.36 - PS+
GoW PSP-2000 - 2GB - 8GB - 2x16GB - 2x16GB - 6.61 ME-2.3

Post Reply

Return to “HENkaku”