Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] Enigma game for Vita

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
rsn8887

[RELEASE] Enigma game for Vita

Post by rsn8887 »

Download Link:
https://www.github.com/rsn8887/enigma/releases

Overview
=====
This is my Vita port of Enigma, a skill/puzzle game inspired by Oxyd on the Atari ST and Rock'n'Roll on the Amiga.

The object of the game is to uncover pairs of identically colored Oxyd stones. Simple? Yes. Easy? Certainly not! Hidden traps, vast mazes, laser beams, and, most of all, countless hairy puzzles usually block your direct way to the Oxyd stones … If you are new to Enigma, you may want to take a look at a few [screenshots](http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/screenshots.html) or peek at the [user manual](http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/manual_1.2 ... nigma.html).

Homepage
======
Detailed information about the game can be found here:
http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/index.html

Thanks
======
Thanks to my supporters on Patreon: Andyways and CountDuckula.

Thanks to @usineur for his libkbd-vita code for easy use of touch keyboard text entry.

Thanks to the developers of VitaSDK and other developers on the Vita for making this possible, in no particular order: @devnoname120, @TheOfficialFlow, @yifanlu, @Rinnegatamante, @cpasjuste, @xyzz, @xerpi, and many others.

Thanks to the many developers of the original game, such as the main developers Thomas Bernhardt, Raoul Bourquin, Siegfried Fennig, Martin Hawlisch, Daniel Heck, Ronald Lamprecht, Andreas Lochmann, Petr Machata, Nobby, Nat Pryce, Jacob Scott, Sven Siggelkow, Ralf Westram, and many many others.

The full credits are at http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/credits.html .

Special thanks to Meinolf Schneider / Amekudzi for the original Oxyd games on Atari ST and PC which inspired Enigma.

Installation Instructions
=====
- Install the .vpk
- Extract the contents of data.zip into ux0:data/

NOTE: I recommend using FTP transfer to copy the files over (~10,000 small files in data.zip). There is one report (thanks @ji11x38) that using the Vitashell "SELECT Button: USB" option to copy files directly from a MacOS computer to the Vita via USB caused the files to not transfer correctly, causing Enigma to crash on startup.

Vita-exclusive features
=====
- game controller support: analog joystick mouse controls and button mappings
- front and rear touch controls with left/right mouse click gestures
- complete level packages with >3,000 levels and pre-calculated preview screenshots
- Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo support (Vita supports only a limited number of BT devices, tested working with Jelly Bean BT keyboard and mouse combo ASIN:B06Y56BBYP and with the standalone Jelly Comb Bluetooth Wireless Mouse ASIN:B075HBDWCF)

Vita Controls (controls updated with version 1.08)
=====
Left analog stick = analog control of the marble and mouse pointer
Square / L-trigger = select menu items, use object in game (left mouse button)
Triangle / R-trigger = cycle through inventory items (right mouse button)
Cross = ok in menu (return)
Circle = back / in-game menu (escape key)
Start = help screen (F1)
Select = destroy marble and remove one life (F3)
R-trigger + Select = restart level (shift-F3)

Dpad in menu = quick-select menu items (arrow keys)
Dpad left/right in game = quick-change mouse speed
Dpad up/down in game = cycle through previous messages

Front touch = analog control of the marble and mouse pointer
Rear touch = analog control of the marble and mouse pointer
Single finger tap = select menu items, use object in game (left mouse button)
Dual finger tap = cycle through inventory items (right mouse button)

Dual finger tap works by holding one finger down and quickly tapping with a second finger somewhere else.

Mouse sensitivity can be adjusted in options or in-game via dpad left/right. The setting affects analog joystick, touch, and real bluetooth mice.

Build Instructions
=====
Enigma needs xerces-c and inet. To prepare compilation:

- with a text-editor, load the file $VITASDK/arm-vita-eabi/include/netinet/in.h. Inside the file, replace "struct" with "inline struct" on line 45 and 49.
- download or clone my xerces-c repo from [here](https://www.github.com/rsn8887/xerces-c) into a folder called xerces
````
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=$VITASDK/share/vita.toolchain.cmake -Dmutex-manager=nothreads -Dnetwork=OFF -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -Dsse2=OFF -Dthreads=OFF -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF ../xerces/

make -j10
make install -j10
````
You should now have the file
````
$VITASDK/arm-vita-eabi/lib/libxerces-c.a
````
and a whole bunch of header files in
````
$VITASDK/arm-vita-eabi/include/xercesc/
````
- Clone the Enigma repo into a folder called Enigma and compile
````
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../Enigma
make enigma.vpk -j10
````

Changelog
=====

- Improve controls with bluetooth mouse by re-compiling with latest SDL-Vita

- Improve keymap, map left/right mouse buttons also to L/R for better playability.

- prevent accidental clicks when moving marble using touch

- map dpad as arrow keys to quick select menu items and quick-select mouse speed in game
- map L to 'F1' (help), X to 'Return' (ok), O to 'ESC' (back)
- update help texts to reflect Vita controller mappings

- enable touch keyboard in menu, useful for name entry and level search
- increase smoothness of mouse pointer motion in gui
- remove the missing translations

- fix missing soundsets in audio menu

- updated data.zip to include many more levels with corresponding thumbnail previews and many more sound sets.

- decrease default joystick sensitivity (marble moved too fast when controlled with joystick)

- map r-trigger to 'restart' and select button to 'kill marble'

- initial Vita port release based on latest Enigma development version
Advertising
Last edited by rsn8887 on Thu May 03, 2018 12:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
rsn8887

Re: [RELEASE] Enigma game for Vita

Post by rsn8887 »

New version!

- updated data.zip to include many more levels with corresponding thumbnail previews and many more sound sets.
Advertising
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Another new version:

- enable touch keyboard in menu, useful for name entry and level search
- increase smoothness of mouse pointer motion in gui
- remove the missing translations

- fix missing soundsets in audio menu
ji11x38

Post by ji11x38 »

Hi rsn8887,

First of thanks a lot for the cool port you created, i was really looking forward to play it!

I have been following your intructions closely (been running several other ports with no hustle) but can not start the game, as an error occures on starting it.

Namely it´s "C2-12828-1", stating "Saved Core File Succeded. ux0:data/psp2core - 1521716995 - 0x0000052b0d-eboot.bin.psp2dmp"

Running any other software with no probs on my Vita 1000 with enso on 3.60..

Hope this helps you in any way! Looking forward to a reply and trying the game soon :P

p.s. reboot and redoing the steps didnt work. So far i only tried v1.04 of the program

tried installing newer version with no succes and i am also unable to take a look at the aformentioned log-file...
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

I suspect that something went wrong with extracting or transferring the files in data.zip. Data.zip contains 9891 small files with some long and strange filenames. Maybe your FTP client or copy method you used skipped some files...

I used Filezilla FTP client to transfer the files to the Vita.

I just did a fresh install and it works for me.

I suggest you try the following:
- download latest enigma_1.06.vpk and data.zip from github release page
- uninstall Enigma
- delete ux0:/data/enigma
- extract data.zip into some folder on your computer
- use Filezilla FTP Client to transfer the folder "enigma" to your Vita to ux0:/data/.
- you should see exactly 9891 files transferred with zero skipped files in the end. It takes a while to transfer all the files via FTP.
- use Vitashell to install the latest enigma_1.06.vpk and launch it. Enigma takes quite a while to load, about 30 seconds or so until you first hear the menu music and then see the menu appear.

Please post again so I know if this fixed your problem or not.

I originally used MacOS to extract and transfer data.zip files, but I just tried it with my Windows 10 desktop, and it also worked.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

New release

- map dpad as arrow keys to quick select menu items and quick-select mouse speed in game
- map L to 'F1' (help), X to 'Return' (ok), O to 'ESC' (back)
- update help texts to reflect Vita controller mappings
ji11x38

Post by ji11x38 »

Hi rsn,

And thanks for your quick feedback, i just redid all the steps you were suggesting.
Apart from 10.013 files being included in the data.zip (from the v1.06 release) and installing the new 1.06.vpk, the game still crashes...
As I am also on macOsX, and used the usb-connection of vitashell 1.83, i dont see me doing much wrong other than possibly wrong file-placement...

ux0:data/enigma is the final location for you? Which data.zip release are you using (maybe some changes were done and pushed, making a particular version and its predecessors useless)? Are you sure about the number of files? Is your hardware any diffrent than mine? And do i have to copy the "data" folder in enigma somewhere?!

I am not sure if the picture actually works, Image but it should give a hint on how my structure looks like.

Regards and thanks again,

JI

p.s. image should work via right-click "open in new tab"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi again,

I just unziped the file under win10 -> checking the properties it states " 9.891 Files, 122 Folders"... (same for the data.zip i unzipped via macOS). It seems that the mac file system reads the filenumber differently...
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Can you please try Filezilla Client FTP transfer exactly like I described, so we can continue to debug this?

The USB connection and FTP transfer methods are NOT the same at all. File name sometimes turn into UPPERCASE, file flags can be different, MacOS puts temp files automatically, etc.

Your number of files is ok (just depends on whether you count directories as files or not).

Filezilla however should show you the number I quoted.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Edit:
Another idea. Only try this if you CANNOT use the FTP method for some reason.

I have tried this before, but it was so slow that I quit. In principle it should work to extract data.zip directly on the Vita. However Vitashell is incredibly slow extracting Zip. So I made another archive which uses zero compression. Hopefully this speeds up extraction.

The file is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UoqTxo ... sp=sharing

- copy over the single data.zip file to your Vita using the USB method
- go into data.zip in Vitashell
- you should see the folder "enigma"
- mark it with square
- push triangle, select "copy"
- navigate to ux0:/data/
- push triangle, select "paste"
- Now Vitashell will extract it for you, preserving all filename cases etc.

Note this might not be a good method because it is too slow: only use it if you absolutely cannot use ftp for some reason. It might take hours.
ji11x38

Post by ji11x38 »

Thanks for comming back at me, again.

I was already trying the ftp-client as nothing else was working when you replied...
As i did not have a network at hand and could not get the vita to connect to a ad hoc network i created using my pc, i had to use my mobile phone as a router what made the file transfer everlasting...
You were right with your guess, the setup finally runs and usb-connection/namechanges are likely to be the culprits...

Thanks a lot! Maybe add this important not to you read me. Shell I also post a reply on github or are you going to do this/closesing the bug straight away?

Looking forward to play now!!! Thx,

JI

Return to “HENkaku”