Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[UPDATED v.1.2] vitaQuake - Quake port for PSVITA

Submit here your entries for the Revitalize Competition. Deadline is September 30th.
Rules can be found here: http://wololo.net/revitalize/
em4nu3l0

Re: [UPDATED v.1.1] vitaQuake - Quake port for PSVITA

Post by em4nu3l0 »

good job, just tested and running better than epsp ports, remarkable differences in texture´s quality and light effects, the lag present in some scenes in psp ports has disappeared, finally the native scene is moving forrware, I like and I can not wait for future updates.
Advertising
Camxpspx123
Banned

Post by Camxpspx123 »

in my opinion this is useless, nobody in 2015 play doom or quake , graphics are horrific and gameplay is boring.

Make a ps2/ps3 emulator please, or keep continuing lua player plus, but that's all ;)
Advertising
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

Camxpspx123 wrote:in my opinion this is useless, nobody in 2015 play doom or quake , graphics are horrific and gameplay is boring.

Make a ps2/ps3 emulator please, or keep continuing lua player plus, but that's all ;)
You completely right!

It's useless to port an engine like Quake engine which will allows you to create 3D games easier (Like Nazi Zombies Portable ).

It's better to waste time creating a PS2 emulator and run it on a CPU with 444 MHZ when PCSX2 runs at 10-15 fps on a dual core 2,4 GHZ and if i'm not satisfied for this beautiful result, i can also waste other time on a PS3 emulator when the only PS3 emulator for PC runs only homebrews at 1 fps!

Now that you opened my mind i'll surely work on a PS4 emulator which will runs easily Batman Arkham Knight on PSVITA.
If you want, visit my website: http://rinnegatamante.it :D
30Wditch

Post by 30Wditch »

Camxpspx123 wrote:in my opinion this is useless, nobody in 2015 play doom or quake , graphics are horrific and gameplay is boring.

Doom is awesome, Quake is awesome!
Still my most played FPS games to this date including Powerslave on the saturn.
Rinnegatamante wrote:New version available...
Runs a lot smoother now. I'm still tied to 333mhz but I'ts very good looking on the Vita.
Does your port support mp3 for the in-game music as well?
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

30Wditch wrote:

Doom is awesome, Quake is awesome!
Still my most played FPS games to this date including Powerslave on the saturn.
Rinnegatamante wrote:New version available...
Runs a lot smoother now. I'm still tied to 333mhz but I'ts very good looking on the Vita.
Does your port support mp3 for the in-game music as well?
Not at all right now, sound system is also a lot crappy (cause sceAudio is a real pain in the *** with A LOT of limitations).
Camxpspx123
Banned

Post by Camxpspx123 »

I'm sorry I did'nt wanted to be mean, and I didnt know that nazi zombie portable was made with this engine, so this is cool, keep continuing ! but true that there is a difference between uncharted vita and "doom" or quake btw
Wizigard

Re: vitaQuake - Quake port for PSVITA

Post by Wizigard »

Rinnegatamante wrote:
Difficulty on porting a game/engine depends on different things:

- Game dependencies: if a game massively uses a library not currently ported to the console you want to port to it will be much more harder. (Example: All the games using OpenGL for rendering)
- Source struct: If a sourcecode is not well structured (For example platform-dependant sources are in the same file of engine source files) it will be more time consumpting to adapt the source.
- Assembly calls: if a game uses some kind of assembly call and is not intendend to work on an architecture the console you want to port to has, you should adapt all these calls or emulate the CPU (Last one is how emulators work).

For Quake, adapting it it's not very difficult, if you check the repository you can see how simple it could be to port to another console.

Anyway, 90% of commercial games are wrote in C/C++ so you need a very good knowledge of these languages to make a game port.
Thank you for answers :P.

Also new version of Quake seems to be working smoother. I also like that you adressed problem with key mapping and adapted keys to vita enviroment. Before I could not exit the game well or load game because i could not confirm anything. Then I accidentaly hit reset controls button and they were reset to PC buttons :D.

There is one issue though with sound. When I don't run game for some time - I put Vita into sleep mode with Quake running and then turn it on after some time, then sound in Quake gets stuck. Then after while I get no sound at all and need to restart game which is a pain :c. I mostly need to reactivate rejuvenate license too because it's been more than 1 day, and run process from PC.
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Re: vitaQuake - Quake port for PSVITA

Post by Rinnegatamante »

Wizigard wrote:
Rinnegatamante wrote:
Difficulty on porting a game/engine depends on different things:

- Game dependencies: if a game massively uses a library not currently ported to the console you want to port to it will be much more harder. (Example: All the games using OpenGL for rendering)
- Source struct: If a sourcecode is not well structured (For example platform-dependant sources are in the same file of engine source files) it will be more time consumpting to adapt the source.
- Assembly calls: if a game uses some kind of assembly call and is not intendend to work on an architecture the console you want to port to has, you should adapt all these calls or emulate the CPU (Last one is how emulators work).

For Quake, adapting it it's not very difficult, if you check the repository you can see how simple it could be to port to another console.

Anyway, 90% of commercial games are wrote in C/C++ so you need a very good knowledge of these languages to make a game port.
Thank you for answers :P.

Also new version of Quake seems to be working smoother. I also like that you adressed problem with key mapping and adapted keys to vita enviroment. Before I could not exit the game well or load game because i could not confirm anything. Then I accidentaly hit reset controls button and they were reset to PC buttons :D.

There is one issue though with sound. When I don't run game for some time - I put Vita into sleep mode with Quake running and then turn it on after some time, then sound in Quake gets stuck. Then after while I get no sound at all and need to restart game which is a pain :c. I mostly need to reactivate rejuvenate license too because it's been more than 1 day, and run process from PC.
I'll try to see what i can do but at the moment there are no sample for sceAudio and trying to make it work good is not so easy cause it accepts only some samplerate and doesn't have a built-in loop mode for example (which is hardly needed for streaming like vitaQuake does [that's the motivation why the audio is a bit choppy]).
TheGrandPubaa

Post by TheGrandPubaa »

Just a couple of quick first impressions/comments. Firstly, when I try to invert the camera controls, it seems to invert horizontal as well instead of just inverting the vertical which is somewhat problematic. Secondly, I launched vitaQuake from PSP2Shell with no problems but when I went to quit the game, Unity closed rather than PSP2Shell booting back up.
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

TheGrandPubaa wrote:Just a couple of quick first impressions/comments. Firstly, when I try to invert the camera controls, it seems to invert horizontal as well instead of just inverting the vertical which is somewhat problematic. Secondly, I launched vitaQuake from PSP2Shell with no problems but when I went to quit the game, Unity closed rather than PSP2Shell booting back up.
Never used invert camera feature in any fps so i really didn't know that it inverts only vertical changes.
I'll patch it right now and it will be shipped with v.1.2.

Return to “Revitalize Competition”