Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Rejuvenate is a native homebrew platform for PS Vita. Read more about Rejuvenate here.
User avatar
King Clyde
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by King Clyde » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:44 am

hgoel0974 wrote:I think L+R+Start should be easy enough to press?
Also the PS Button is not accessible from PSM
Oh, I wasn't aware that the PS Button wasn't available; but L + R + Start sounds perfect.
Advertising

Sakuryu
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm
Contact:

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by Sakuryu » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:07 am

I'm not a modder yet, When I have time I plan on hopping into small stuff but I like all of these ideas. I think Yifan is right in his choice to have the maximum amount of system compatibility but I also think everyone needs to have a backup just in case this digging in the sandbox doesn't let us break out into the main system. If I might make a suggestion is there a button designation we can make a call to for the back touch screen? I never use the thing and it's awkward, how about a call to that for a force close function but like select+backscreen for 5 seconds or a button pressed a certain number of times in a succession. I know I'm probably just crowding the thread but I felt like I should add my 2 cents. and say Thanks, I love what you guys are doing, never quit, keep it going !
Advertising
~`~ Fly on Coldbird, Hope your future endeavors bring you to higher skies away from the scum that's polluted the new world. We'll miss you! ~'~

User avatar
hgoel0974
Retired Mod
Posts: 2154
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:42 pm
Location: Maia, Pleiades Nebula

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by hgoel0974 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:32 am

The problem with that however is that you can't just assume that no one else will use the rear touchpad. Thanks for the suggestion though.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"

Sakuryu
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm
Contact:

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by Sakuryu » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:18 am

hgoel0974 wrote:The problem with that however is that you can't just assume that no one else will use the rear touchpad. Thanks for the suggestion though.
True, True, I might be the only person who finds it an annoyance, and hey someone might use it better than the game programmers, maybe multi touch hotkeys or something. If you guys need graphics I might be able to help. Especially 3D graphics.
~`~ Fly on Coldbird, Hope your future endeavors bring you to higher skies away from the scum that's polluted the new world. We'll miss you! ~'~

User avatar
internally-Blazed
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:17 am

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by internally-Blazed » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:41 pm

hgoel0974 wrote:
yifanlu wrote:There's a reason UVL was designed to load SCE ELFs rather than a custom executable format (like .3dsx). That's because in theory any homebrew that UVL can run will also be loadable by the system loader. That means when we get a kernel exploit, there doesn't need to be any recompilation.

So if we wish to keep this theme, the format should also fit with sony's packaging format. That means LiveArea XML for everything. I don't want to use a custom format because it would go unused as soon as a kernel exploit comes out. But if we repurpose existing LiveArea and SFO stuff in a way where after we get a CFW all you have to do is install the homebrew with package installer (sig patched), that would be the best route.
I believe this makes sense, we should aim for as much compatibility with the existing systems as possible. I suppose that takes care of most of the problems, while keeping compatibility in mind, I suppose it'd be better to use a vblank hook instead of custom function calls. So that leaves the exit combo
Agreed, its better to not use a custom format. Stick to what we already have to ensure max compatibility for the future, a lot less headaches.
Im a dragon in the scene. I've modded everything i can get my hands on :)

Learning C for the vita :)

User avatar
hgoel0974
Retired Mod
Posts: 2154
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:42 pm
Location: Maia, Pleiades Nebula

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by hgoel0974 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:31 am

As for the exit combo stuff, I've decided that at least for my loader, the loader will be responsible for the exit checking but the menu/homebrew will have the ability to set the exit combo. Of course this introduces a custom import but since these aren't critical functions that would break a homebrew, it won't matter if they don't get resolved when eventually a kernel exploit is discovered and released.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"

173210
Guru
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by 173210 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:12 am

* Homebrew information format
http://vitadevwiki.com/index.php?title=Packages_(.PKG)
Or just you can use only ELF.

* Path formats
Good.

* Function calls
Multitasking is hard work. Can you implement it?

* Exiting
Well, button combination should be an option. VHL can have settings with JSON.

* Memory Management
It doesn't take long to load menu again, at least on HBL. I don't think you have to concern that.
However, you are going to implement multitasking?
Donate!
Bitconin: 1Aq3NruiohEvUsGJAmHoXjTq764HDS5zef
Paypal: http://173210.github.io/

173210
Guru
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by 173210 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:20 am

hgoel0974 wrote:As for the exit combo stuff, I've decided that at least for my loader, the loader will be responsible for the exit checking but the menu/homebrew will have the ability to set the exit combo. Of course this introduces a custom import but since these aren't critical functions that would break a homebrew, it won't matter if they don't get resolved when eventually a kernel exploit is discovered and released.
Well, but isn't it confusing to change the exit combo by homebrews? The button combo is a way to force to exit when homebrews get stuck.
Donate!
Bitconin: 1Aq3NruiohEvUsGJAmHoXjTq764HDS5zef
Paypal: http://173210.github.io/

User avatar
hgoel0974
Retired Mod
Posts: 2154
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:42 pm
Location: Maia, Pleiades Nebula

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by hgoel0974 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:29 am

173210 wrote:
hgoel0974 wrote:As for the exit combo stuff, I've decided that at least for my loader, the loader will be responsible for the exit checking but the menu/homebrew will have the ability to set the exit combo. Of course this introduces a custom import but since these aren't critical functions that would break a homebrew, it won't matter if they don't get resolved when eventually a kernel exploit is discovered and released.
Well, but isn't it confusing to change the exit combo by homebrews? The button combo is a way to force to exit when homebrews get stuck.
Well, the homebrew doesn't have to change it, in fact I wouldn't recommend it, but the menu (which is also just a homebrew) can change it, allowing the user to configure that themselves. Since there seems to be confusion about this, the menu is treated as just like any other homebrew, it is NOT built into the loader.
173210 wrote:* Homebrew information format
http://vitadevwiki.com/index.php?title=Packages_(.PKG)
Or just you can use only ELF.

* Path formats
Good.

* Function calls
Multitasking is hard work. Can you implement it?

* Exiting
Well, button combination should be an option. VHL can have settings with JSON.

* Memory Management
It doesn't take long to load menu again, at least on HBL. I don't think you have to concern that.
However, you are going to implement multitasking?
For the info format, we've agreed on the pkg layout, for the memory management, it's true that it doesn't take long to load a menu again, but there's the problem of having that mix well with the multitasking, the menu should be able to retain its state and be immediately available for the multitasking to be clean. I know multitasking is hard work, but I'm figuring it out, it'd be easier if I could find info for pss_suspend_thread since there doesn't appear to be any other function to suspend a thread AFAIK.
Last edited by hgoel0974 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"

173210
Guru
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by 173210 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:46 am

hgoel0974 wrote:
173210 wrote:
hgoel0974 wrote:As for the exit combo stuff, I've decided that at least for my loader, the loader will be responsible for the exit checking but the menu/homebrew will have the ability to set the exit combo. Of course this introduces a custom import but since these aren't critical functions that would break a homebrew, it won't matter if they don't get resolved when eventually a kernel exploit is discovered and released.
Well, but isn't it confusing to change the exit combo by homebrews? The button combo is a way to force to exit when homebrews get stuck.
Well, the homebrew doesn't have to change it, in fact I wouldn't recommend it, but the menu (which is also just a homebrew) can change it, allowing the user to configure that themselves. Since there seems to be confusion about this, the menu is treated as just like any other homebrew, it is NOT built into the loader.
So menu will load something like hblconf.txt and change the button combination, right?
It makes sense that VHL just loads homebrews. It shouldn't get large.
Donate!
Bitconin: 1Aq3NruiohEvUsGJAmHoXjTq764HDS5zef
Paypal: http://173210.github.io/

Post Reply

Return to “Rejuvenate”