Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Rejuvenate is a native homebrew platform for PS Vita. Read more about Rejuvenate here.
King Clyde

Re: PSVita homebrew packaging standards discussion

Post by King Clyde »

fate6 wrote:Button combo needs to b kill, All homebrew should have an exit option IMHO.
Yeah that's true; if your game crashes you can just use the button combo to end the process.
Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

King Clyde wrote:
fate6 wrote:Button combo needs to b kill, All homebrew should have an exit option IMHO.
Yeah that's true; if your game crashes you can just use the button combo to end the process.
If something crashes then just switch out? Its going to have multitasking so just switch back to the menu and have an option to close the homebrew?
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
King Clyde

Post by King Clyde »

fate6 wrote:
King Clyde wrote:
If something crashes then just switch out? Its going to have multitasking so just switch back to the menu and have an option to close the homebrew?
Yeah, that makes sense, maybe an option to clear the part of the systems RAM used by applications so if you're running homebrew constantly you don't have garbage data still in your console's RAM which could easily improve performance.

I know at times when you have only 2 - 3 tabs open in your internet browser this happens and you cant do anything until you force close the application and then when you reload the exact same tabs again it works flawlessly.

Just a thought :mrgreen:
bodega

Post by bodega »

I agree with you when you said that every game should have a exit option, but i would suggest to include also a button combo to "force exit"
sorry 4 my bad english :)

Follow me on Twitter erBodega
Ryp

Post by Ryp »

Couldn't agree more with yifanlu. Make something compatible with the existing, eventually using some extensions
Ruben_Wolfe

Post by Ruben_Wolfe »

Isnt it obvious? the way to exit should be by long pressing the playstation button(or atleast some other rare pressing such as start+select).
Total_noob has done it, and it seemed to work just fine.
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

yifanlu wrote:There's a reason UVL was designed to load SCE ELFs rather than a custom executable format (like .3dsx). That's because in theory any homebrew that UVL can run will also be loadable by the system loader. That means when we get a kernel exploit, there doesn't need to be any recompilation.

So if we wish to keep this theme, the format should also fit with sony's packaging format. That means LiveArea XML for everything. I don't want to use a custom format because it would go unused as soon as a kernel exploit comes out. But if we repurpose existing LiveArea and SFO stuff in a way where after we get a CFW all you have to do is install the homebrew with package installer (sig patched), that would be the best route.
I believe this makes sense, we should aim for as much compatibility with the existing systems as possible. I suppose that takes care of most of the problems, while keeping compatibility in mind, I suppose it'd be better to use a vblank hook instead of custom function calls. So that leaves the exit combo
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
RikuKurai

Post by RikuKurai »

Holding the home button would be decent. Also, the Select+Start already used by VHBL is a good combo - not very easy to accidentally hit and unlikely to be used by homebrews together.
King Clyde

Post by King Clyde »

hgoel0974 wrote:I believe this makes sense, we should aim for as much compatibility with the existing systems as possible. I suppose that takes care of most of the problems, while keeping compatibility in mind, I suppose it'd be better to use a vblank hook instead of custom function calls. So that leaves the exit combo
Possible Combos:
Hold L + R
Hold the PS Button
Hold Select

Holding Select and the PS button would probably be the best exit combo due to 99% of emulators use L + R to go to the emulator menu (Although it was me who suggested this I have thought about it and realized this), another reason is Select is very rarely used and basically ignored BUT it is also used in emulators so although highly unlikely it could cause some minor problems. Holding the PS Button puts a settings screen up with brightness settings, wifi settings etc. so, that also has to be taken into consideration.
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

I think L+R+Start should be easy enough to press?
Also the PS Button is not accessible from PSM
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"

Return to “Rejuvenate”