Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Black Friday Sale: Playstation Plus 1 Year subscription is $39.99 (33% off) on Amazon and other retailers, while supplies last.

My vita is completely unusable

You have questions and can't find another subforum to ask? Go here
Ayeron

My vita is completely unusable

Post by Ayeron » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Hey so recently I got a vita running 3.67 and I’ve had nothing but problems with it. A week or so after I got it, it started to act up. It basically acts as if someone is spam pressing the ps button constantly, which makes it completely unusable. It exits me out of games randomly and is doing this about 75% of the time. I have factory reset it and it didn’t work. I think it’s a problem with the button itself but I have no idea because I couldn’t find a single other person who has posted about this problem. If anyone has any idea how to fix it please let me know. Thanks!
Advertising

TimelessNL

Re: My vita is completely unusable

Post by TimelessNL » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:24 pm

I had this once on water damaged Vita I had to repair. The metal domes do not always completely dry after water ingress and oxidate.
I removed the dome itself and cleaned it. Then glued it back on.

You can however just buy a used PCB on ebay, it's much easier.
Advertising

CPUzX

Re: My vita is completely unusable

Post by CPUzX » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:08 pm

That's exactly it. Your issue is most likely water damage. I've had this happen to a PSP in the past and multiple PS2 controllers back in the day.
The main concern with the vita is that due to the nature of it being a console, moisture or water can seep in and not only cause a glitchy button, but it can also damage components on the board which in turn can cause invalid signals to be sent to the IO controller.
The most common cause for your issue is that water can quickly erode away the top layer of the conductive metal traces over time right below where the buttons sit on the PCB.
It's the same story with the rear touchpad; deep scratches too.
What you should probably try to do first is take the Vita apart and attempt to clean the contacts on the board with 99% isopropyl alcohol.
What I'd do is take all the PCBs out of the vita shell and place them in a dish with IPA in it and lightly scrub the button contacts with a toothbrush.

Alternatively you could try washing everything off in just water & dishsoap solution, but you have to make sure it is dry afterwards before putting it all back together.

Otherwise if that doesn't work, you could search for a replacement motherboard and take another risk, or it might just be easier to buy an entirely new Vita.

Don't know why I typed a wall on this.lol it could've probably been summarized in 2 lines

Return to “Support”