Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PS1 screen resolution in Adrenaline-6

You have questions and can't find another subforum to ask? Go here
Predator0808

PS1 screen resolution in Adrenaline-6

Post by Predator0808 »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering about actual resolution of PS1 emu, that is part of Adrenaline-6.
As we know, PSP resolution is 480 x 272 pixels.
Highest PS1 resolution is 640 x 480 pixels.
PS Vita resolution is 960 x 544 pixels.
As I got to know from this site:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/inves ... or-article

"PSP was Most PS1 titles run at a humble 256x224"

Also, I got to know from another site:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-plays ... ution.html

"PSP renders PSX games at whatever their native resolution is (mostly 320x240p)"

Adrenaline uses default PSP resolution, which is 480 x 272 pixels, stretched to PS Vita's screen (4.3-inch vs 5-inch).
Adrenaline-6 has also option to use Screen mode PSP 2.0x at PS1 emu - which results in exactly PS Vita's screen resolution.

So here is my question: does anyone know, what really means that Adrenaline's Screen mode PSP 2.0x?
Is it 2x (256 x 224) or 2x (480 x 272) or even 2x (320 x 240) ?
Or we are getting, let's say regular 320 x 240 resolution - but it is only stretched 2x, but not doubled?
TheFlow does not mention this detail in release notes. How do you think guys?

Thanks for all inputs!
Advertising
Gensosuikoden

Re: PS1 screen resolution in Adrenaline-6

Post by Gensosuikoden »

It just refers to the degree the image is being upscaled (stretched / enlarged via approximation and interpolation), not natively up-rendered.

Because the PS Vita screen has a higher resolution than PSP (2x on both axis so 4 times the pixel count), rendering the image at 1.0x (the original PSP game resolution) results in the image being much smaller (half the resolution, 25% the pixel count) than full screen with black bars on every side. This is because the Vita is mapping the image at a pixel ratio of 1:1.

If you have a square with 2m on each side, the area is 4m squared, right? If you then double the length of each side, the area becomes 16 meters squared because 4 x 4 = 16. So, in order for the PSP game to fill the full screen, the screen size has to be set to 2.0x, doubling both vertical and horizontal resolutions to multiply the pixel count by 4.

With respect to PSP hardware and games, the same applies. Anything running at sub-native PSP resolution was upscaled in order to fill the PSP's screen in full. If you're playing one of those games on Adrenaline then you're getting an image internally rendered at sub-native PSP resolution but upscaled to the standard PSP resolution (1.0x size) before then being further upscaled by the Vita to fill more of the screen if you choose any size bigger than 1.0x.
Advertising
Predator0808

Re: PS1 screen resolution in Adrenaline-6

Post by Predator0808 »

Thanks for detailed explaination @Gensosuikoden! ;)

Return to “Support”