Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

A small questiont about a common system in games

The PlayStation Mobile SDK and Unity for PlayStation Mobile can be downloaded here: http://www.playstation.com/psm/
konit_oo

A small questiont about a common system in games

Post by konit_oo »

Hello guys. I've played a lot with Unity3D so far, so my friends and I decided to make a game, though not for vita but for android. The game itself will be a 3D one, something like an arena, imagine cspsp but with lol, cs and so on elements. So, I have in mind that usually in the more serious game development the developers use a system, which name I'm investigating, which loads just game objects and pieces of map in a radius around the player and the rest remains kind of inactive, neglected, obsolete... I cannot find the proper word in English (poor, poor dictionary :) ). I assume you get the idea, so if anybody knows about this, please tell me what should we look for to get faster in this matter. If I can apply this and somehow save some precious CPU power it would be extra. :D :D :D
As far as I know Unity doesn't do so by default.
Advertising
AbyssDweller

Re: A small questiont about a common system in games

Post by AbyssDweller »

Pretty sure you posted this in the incorrect place. Anyways as a Unity3d user myself, making such a thing should be quite simple depending on what exactly you are going for. Although I have not made a system like that myself, I would probably try putting a box collider (trigger) as a child on the player and enable all objects within the area and disable them when they are outside the range. Obviously tag them so only certain ones disappear. There are many other ways to go about it if that doesn't work though.

Code: Select all

gameObject.SetActive (true);
Just google enabling objects for more info, I think that will work.
Advertising

Return to “PSM & PSM Unity”