Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

GBA Flashcart with sleep support?

darkenvy

GBA Flashcart with sleep support?

Post by darkenvy »

*NOTE: I DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY AND YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER*

Hey fellow Wololors :)
I'm sad to see that we don't have a GBA thread!

Anyways, I dump my own roms (yes I actually do; but its not like I don't own all the GBA Pokemon games anyways so procurement isn't unlawful :P) using Rudolph's GBA Backup tool. I just snagged a gameboy micro from ebay and I am going to keychain it on my keys and be mega-nerdy! I beat all of my pokemon games so this is what I am trying to do:

Dump Roms from NDS (successful)
Patch Roms using IPS patch files (successful)
Find a GBA flash cart that supports sleep mode (???)

Some games on the GBA support sleep mode. A mode where the gameboy shuts off except for memory, awaiting L+R+SELECT to be pressed. This mode would be PERFECT for me and I remember hearing flashcarts having this feature. I feel like I am late to the flashcart party for the GBA so I am having a hard time doing research. Thanks again guys!

Check out these Pokemon romhacks if you like:
https://youtu.be/xVcnB9IVWwI

Please do not link me a LMGTFY or I will kick your **** :lol:
Advertising
PSVita 1 : Unboxed → 1.61 → Everybody's Tennis Exploit → 1.81 → Urbanix Exploit
PSVita 2 : 1.813.51 → Rejuvinate & TN-V
PSTV 1 : 3.35 → Whitelist Hack & Rejuvinate
PSTV 2 : Latest FW Always
reprep

Re: GBA Flashcart with sleep support?

Post by reprep »

Ez Flash IV has that feature if you use sleep patcher. http://www.kuwanger.net/gba/sleephack/

If your game has already a built-in sleeping function (few games like yoshi's island has it), you have to apply an additional patch to make it work with ez flash iv.
Advertising
darkenvy

Post by darkenvy »

Huh, would I have to use the EZ Flasher IV to get that feature? If I am patching the roms... it seems that would be a feature of the rom really...

I just tried to use that patcher, got it patched (using linux) and popped it in VisualBoyAdvanced (under wine) and the game will go to sleep (white screen) but not return. I am guessing this is a anomaly of emulation here. I didn't think that test would work but I wanted to be thourough before making a purchase.

Wonder if anyone has tried this with Gen3 pokemon games...
reprep

Post by reprep »

That app is ony for ez flash. I don't know maybe there are other apps for other flashcarts. And i can assure you it works as i have an ez flash iv and i sleep-patch my games with this app.

Also Ez Flash IV is the only modern gba flashcart you can buy now. Other alternative supercard has slowdowns in demanding games.
darkenvy

Post by darkenvy »

Oh perfect! Glad to hear you have pesonal experience. :P

Ez Flash IV are kinda pricey. If you don't want yours anymore let me know (I'll make an offer) :lol:
darkenvy

Post by darkenvy »

Just bought a EX Flash IV. A somewhat sketchy website but supposedly located in the states. Some users in reddit found success with this site so we will see if it comes in :roll:
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn »

Hi;

Yeah best card on the gba is the EZ Flash IV... by miles.
But yes as you already said yourself, you're late to the gba flash cart party... to be exact... 6 years.
Better you ditch the gba itself and use a nds or nds lite with the EZ Flash IV.
Reason: Longer battery life & does have backlight... orig gba has no backlight, for the micro I don't know.

Also you can use a nds for gba rom dumping even simpler because if you have a generic slot 1 card you can extract the gba rom directly there.

One word of advise: What ever you do, if you stick with gba or go nds and play with slot1 & slot2 combination... STAY AWAY from the Super Card SD mini SD and Compact Flash... THOSE HAVE ABYSSMAL compatibility and often require extensive patching of the rom... and even then, games like advance wars 1&2 WILL NOT RUN at all. Also super cards do not have real time clock built in... so NO time advancing in pokemon games.

I personally would go with nds lite and R4/Dstt and ez flash 3in1 extension. The 3in1 extension modul does work with rudolphs tool and eats EVERY gba rom from ram as well as flashed into it. Save game extraction and handling is also ok since saves are stored in ram and then you can dump them via command onto your slot1 card. Best is, a flashed game onto the 3in1 can directly be used on the gba.

But those are just some suggestions.
The internet is a bottomless barrel of sh*t, we try to fill it, everyday. But we fail, because its bottomless.
darkenvy

Post by darkenvy »

Thanks for the suggestions! I already have a NDS and rip my roms like-wise. I do in fact have 2 flashcart setups for the NDS. A slot1 cart and a slot1&2 cart setup. The slot1&2 setup is a passme and supercard LOL!

Maybe I wasn't so far from the GBA flashcart community; I simply did not use it for GBA roms. :lol: The whole point for me buying the EZ Flash IV is for the Micro however ;).
cracker

Post by cracker »

You can patch games with a tool but it can/will probably conflict with carts that use their own patching systems. My EZ4 is dusty and I haven't tried. You can get it at http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/tools ... -f223.html

Return to “General”