Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Percentage Of Console Owners With Modified Systems?

MadZiontist

Percentage Of Console Owners With Modified Systems?

Post by MadZiontist »

I'm not sure where to post this, so if an admin/mod could move it if incorrectly posted, then swell.

I googled this, and didn't come up with any numbers. I'm not sure if any are available. But what do my fellow mellowz here on Wololo think about what the percentage might be? Or has anybody ever come across any numbers? If I had to take a wild guess, based on the number of people I know irl, that have modified their consoles (whether it's a hardware or a firmware/system software mod)...I'd have to wager that it's between maybe 1-25%.

What do y'all think?
Advertising
PSP Star Wars 2001 TA-085v1 32GB 6.60 ME-2.3
PSV 1001 3G 64GB 3.60 HENkaku Enso
PSTV 64GB
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Percentage Of Console Owners With Modified Systems?

Post by fate6 »

Thats a pretty broad range but I think you're right about it being in that range.
If I had to pull a number out of my "A" then I would say 18%.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
deathblade200

Post by deathblade200 »

well considering I've never actually met another person able to do it themselves and that most people I know have me do it for them I would say it is a very small percentage
MadZiontist

Post by MadZiontist »

fate6 wrote:Thats a pretty broad range but I think you're right about it being in that range.
If I had to pull a number out of my "A" then I would say 18%.
Yeah it is a broad range. I was originally going to post a poll, but decided not to. I was going to have 4 options, so I guess I made the ranges broader and stuck with it in my OP.

This sure is a tough one to figure out, it seems. The one friend of mine that modifies his devices, really only roots his Android. He's certainly capable of installing CFW on his PS3, but hasn't. I could easily believe that 5% is more accurate than 25 or 18 percent. I think we're far more of a minority than maybe even we know, or the console manufacturers know. I think it seems like more ppl do it, possibly, cause we hang out online in places where everybody does it.

I understand electronics manufacturers protecting their IP and all. But it seems like they go way out of their way for such a small number of people that modify their stuff.
PSTV 64GB
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

The real problem at least for SCE is online cheaters, It only takes one to ruin a game.
Just take a look back at the beginning of PS3 CFW, There where no bans unless you cheated but it got so out of hand SCE started auto banning modded systems.

At least thats how I remember it.
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
MadZiontist

Post by MadZiontist »

fate6 wrote:The real problem at least for SCE is online cheaters, It only takes one to ruin a game.
Just take a look back at the beginning of PS3 CFW, There where no bans unless you cheated but it got so out of hand SCE started auto banning modded systems.

At least thats how I remember it.
I wonder why they never banned PSPs. I've never had a CFW'd PS3, and don't know what the scene is totally like, but it seems as though the PSP scene was bigger in its prime. I'm guessing because of many reasons. No trophies at stake (which are a HUGE deal for many), the PSN activity was never all that "hot", and the PS3 was (of course) their flagship console. But all that really explains is why they would ban a PS3, if it was an either/or proposition. I just wonder why it wasn't a both scenario. Glad it wasn't though!
PSTV 64GB
reprep

Post by reprep »

online gameplay wasn't very popular on PSP. Few games supported it.

But on PS3, it is a different story. CFW (or cheats to be more spesific) on online games ruin the experience for everybody, sony takes measures against it more aggressively.
Alpmaster

Post by Alpmaster »

reprep wrote:online gameplay wasn't very popular on PSP. Few games supported it.

But on PS3, it is a different story. CFW (or cheats to be more spesific) on online games ruin the experience for everybody, sony takes measures against it more aggressively.
Hey their was major cheaters back in the day with Medal of Honor on PSP. :p
Game On!

Return to “General”