Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Tutorials] PS2 Thread: Softmod, game backups, homebrew

b4sk8

Re: [Tutorials] PS2 Thread: Softmod, game backups, homebrew

Post by b4sk8 »

Well opened my ps2 fat and tried this with a DVD+R and I tried more than I should and now my ps2 won't read disk but it still spins and tries to read any suggestions
Advertising
Tonakai

Post by Tonakai »

PCMGR wrote:I got a question.
I got a chipped phat ps2.
Freemcboot can be installed on a memory card (removable medium)
Can I use a backup of a game required to install that on one memory card directly,then use that memory card on an other (hackable) ps2,or does it have to be the same ps2?Basically,my original ps2 laser sorta died...

Also,are the save files (from usb loaded games) still saved in the softmod memory card,do they get saved in a second memory card,or the usb medium?
Since your fat PS2 has a hardmod, you can use that to launch uLaunchELF and install FMCB to your memory card. Once that's done, you can use that memory card on whatever console you wish assuming it's a hackable model.

Download this noobie package which contains everything you'd need: sksapps.com/exploit/freevast/Noobie_Package.rar. If I recall correctly, all you really need is the INSTALL folder, and FREE_MCBOOT.ELF.

Run FREE_MCBOOT.ELF through uLaunchELF and the installer should then appear, so simply install it to the memory card.

In answer to your second question; Once FMCB is insalled on a memory card, it will still function like any other card so you can save games to that, or a second memory card - whatever you wish. As far as I remember though, a game run through USB will not save to the USB device itself as FMCB has no reason to modify the saving protocol of a game.
Advertising
PCMGR

Post by PCMGR »

Tonakai wrote:
PCMGR wrote:I got a question.
I got a chipped phat ps2.
Freemcboot can be installed on a memory card (removable medium)
Can I use a backup of a game required to install that on one memory card directly,then use that memory card on an other (hackable) ps2,or does it have to be the same ps2?Basically,my original ps2 laser sorta died...

Also,are the save files (from usb loaded games) still saved in the softmod memory card,do they get saved in a second memory card,or the usb medium?
Since your fat PS2 has a hardmod, you can use that to launch uLaunchELF and install FMCB to your memory card. Once that's done, you can use that memory card on whatever console you wish assuming it's a hackable model.

Download this noobie package which contains everything you'd need: sksapps.com/exploit/freevast/Noobie_Package.rar. If I recall correctly, all you really need is the INSTALL folder, and FREE_MCBOOT.ELF.

Run FREE_MCBOOT.ELF through uLaunchELF and the installer should then appear, so simply install it to the memory card.

In answer to your second question; Once FMCB is insalled on a memory card, it will still function like any other card so you can save games to that, or a second memory card - whatever you wish. As far as I remember though, a game run through USB will not save to the USB device itself as FMCB has no reason to modify the saving protocol of a game.
Thanks for the answer.
In order to launch the uLaunchElf I should use the iso found on psx scene forums right?
What do I have:
[spoiler]Nothing to lose.[/spoiler]
Tonakai

Post by Tonakai »

Ah, I assumed you'd be able to run .elf files off the bat, since your console is hardmodded, but I've always used a softmod, so I've very little knowledge in that department.

Anyway, the iso should work fine.
PCMGR

Post by PCMGR »

Tonakai wrote:Ah, I assumed you'd be able to run .elf files off the bat, since your console is hardmodded, but I've always used a softmod, so I've very little knowledge in that department.

Anyway, the iso should work fine.
No harm done,I am basically completely clueless as to what exactly my second ps2 can do :P

Do I need to include open ps2 loader in order to boot games off the hard drive into that package? (Also,I assume ESR patching the backups is also necessary even now,should I want to use burned backups)

Need to note I do not have a network adapter/card/w/e it is called.
What do I have:
Tonakai

Post by Tonakai »

PCMGR wrote:No harm done,I am basically completely clueless as to what exactly my second ps2 can do :P

Do I need to include open ps2 loader in order to boot games off the hard drive into that package? (Also,I assume ESR patching the backups is also necessary even now,should I want to use burned backups)

Need to note I do not have a network adapter/card/w/e it is called.
Yes, you will need both OPL and ESR for definite. I would also put uLaunchElf onto your MC so that you can copy things from a USB device onto the memory card and Free McBoot Config in order for you to customise things (you can use this to change menu colours, skip gameboot and things like that).

You should be fine without a network adapter assuming that you've got a USB that is compatible wih the console, if not you're in a bit of trouble.

Also, be aware that when you install FMCB onto your card it will by default be linked to slot 1, so if you put it into the other slot, it won't load. This is a bit of a nuisance, but there's an easy fix for it.

I don't remember the exact steps right this second though, so I'm going to go boot up my PS2 so I can tell you how to do this accurately.

Edit: I had a little trouble remembering how to do this so I'll get back to you on this tomorrow.
PCMGR

Post by PCMGR »

I found out that ps2 slims with datecode 9000 8D and later won't work,and that ones with 8C might work.
Does the ps2 brick or sth if you use it on an unsupported slim (particularly,8C ones)
What do I have:
RandQalan

Post by RandQalan »

PCMGR wrote:I found out that ps2 slims with datecode 9000 8D and later won't work,and that ones with 8C might work.
Does the ps2 brick or sth if you use it on an unsupported slim (particularly,8C ones)
No it will not brick FMCB is only soft mod uses DVD update feature that is not perm too boot other software
PCMGR

Post by PCMGR »

I went through the process and installed it on a mc but it doesn't seem to run?
What do I have:
RandQalan

Post by RandQalan »

PCMGR wrote:I went through the process and installed it on a mc but it doesn't seem to run?
Then it looks to be one of 90000 models that have MC DVD update removed

Return to “Tutorials”