Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Additional Anti spam measure

DiabloNocturnia

Re: Additional Anti spam measure

Post by DiabloNocturnia »

I couldn't figure out where else to post this, so here seems my best bet. I m having problems logging into the forums using my
android phone, i ve tried with firefox,chrome, opera and the default browser and I keep getting a message saying that my IP
has been banned by antispam for malicious behaviour, yet i can log in with my laptop that is tethered thru my android phone. The issue has only started in the last 1 to 2 weeks after i d been away from the forums for a month or so.Any suggestions?
Advertising
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

DiabloNocturnia wrote:I couldn't figure out where else to post this, so here seems my best bet. I m having problems logging into the forums using my
android phone, i ve tried with firefox,chrome, opera and the default browser and I keep getting a message saying that my IP
has been banned by antispam for malicious behaviour, yet i can log in with my laptop that is tethered thru my android phone. The issue has only started in the last 1 to 2 weeks after i d been away from the forums for a month or so.Any suggestions?
yeah it seems that the new antispam software has been very restrictive, even a moderator got banned by it :?
best bet is to wait for wololo's response
Advertising
DiabloNocturnia

Thanks for the response. I nearly had a heart attck, i logged out on my laptop and couldn t get back in, thought I'd miss any ninja releases that may happen. Had to mask my IP to log in and set my login to auto login, hopefully that will work until it gets sorted :)
DiabloNocturnia

Still having major problems logging in, have to go through different proxy servers everytime i login which is every 15-20 minutes when i get automatically logged out. Strange stuff
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

DiabloNocturnia wrote:Still having major problems logging in, have to go through different proxy servers everytime i login which is every 15-20 minutes when i get automatically logged out. Strange stuff
What is the error message you are getting? Have you read the initial message, and tried to follow the recommendations on it?
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
DiabloNocturnia

At the moment I'm getting a 503 error when trying to login, but this has just cropped up now. Usually it gives me a red and white page saying that my IP has been automatically blocked as spam or malicious behavior. I think that its blocking my internet providers ip as all my devices are tethered through my android phone. I ve searched the forums extensively before posting about this problem.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

DiabloNocturnia wrote:At the moment I'm getting a 503 error when trying to login, but this has just cropped up now. Usually it gives me a red and white page saying that my IP has been automatically blocked as spam or malicious behavior. I think that its blocking my internet providers ip as all my devices are tethered through my android phone. I ve searched the forums extensively before posting about this problem.
Can you send me a list of your IP(s) that got banned, in a PM? I can dig the log and see if I can help. The system is mostly automated and ip based (some isps are considered "poisonous" by the system as they are used by spammers), but it is also possible that your browser is triggering some weird behavior in it

sixastrix

Post by sixastrix »

DiabloNocturnia wrote:I couldn't figure out where else to post this, so here seems my best bet. I m having problems logging into the forums using my
Same problem with me, wololo. I usually get the creepy red and white stopforumspam forbidden page when login from my android phone directly, but can login when using laptop or vita tethered through my phone. But, yesterday I couldn't login even using usual tethering method to my vita. This time I feel relieved when I am able to login from my university network.
*sometimes I feel paranoid and guilty if my quick login session just to check the ninja is considered malicious behavior >.<, haha
Oh, yeah, one more thing I want to report if it matters: If I try to access login page several times when I got blocked, I ended up getting 503 Service temporarily unavailable
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

sixastrix wrote: Oh, yeah, one more thing I want to report if it matters: If I try to access login page several times when I got blocked, I ended up getting 503 Service temporarily unavailable
Yeah, that's the expected behavior: the system gives you 3 warnings with an explanation on how to fix the issue, then simply "blocks" you.
I changed the behavior so that the "block" only lasts 4 hours (it was set to last 1 year by default, and that was the minimum possible value without hacking into the code) but that still needs to be tested/confirmed.

When you get a message about stopforumspam, it is *essential* that you contact stopforumspam.com/removal to ask them to remove you from their database *before* you try logging on /talk again, otherwise you'll end up being banned, for 4 hours (if my latest change works), or until you contact me (if it doesn't).

This red message / 503 banning is completely not related to the ninja release, so if you got the message for that don't be too worried.
*however*, using proxies, etc... to bypass the block could make you end in our "suspicious" list, which means you end up being one of the last people to get the message. So if you get the stopforumspam warnings, please contact stopforumspam asap to get removed from their DB.

Sorry for the completely unfriendly experience here, we had to end up with very extreme antispam measures in order to fight against the thousands of bot registrations we would get every day. I realize the system is hurting legit users :|

DiabloNocturnia

It's quite a strange issue. I find that occasionally I can login normally, but 4 out of 5 times I'll get that stopforumspam page, yet when I go to their website there s no record of my IP being banned. I'm thinking that because I'm using my phones broadband my
IP address is constantly changing and that is causing my woes. I'm hoping that when I sign in and set it to auto login on each visit it may rectify the situation. After waiting a year there is no way I'm going to miss upcoming events :)

I've checked this out more and my guess was right. This morning my IP address was banned so I saved the stopforumspam page that popped up containing my IP address , I just checked their site and that IP is in someone elses name and has been banned, but since this morning my IP has changed to one which is not banned. I found that turning off my phones data connection and turning it back on gets me a new IP address which I can keep doing until I get one that hasn t been banned. This means I no longer need to go through a proxy....... I hope :)

Return to “Announcements”