PS4 Jailbreak / PS4 Custom Firmware for Dummies

PS4 Jailbreak: Official tools and news for PS4 Jailbreak, latest 2017 updates directly from the PS4 hacking scene. You just got yourself a new PS4, and are looking for a PS4 Jailbreak / PS4 Custom Firmware solution? Then bookmark this page, as it will be kept up to date with the latest, greatest, and simplest solutions available for Playstation 4 CFW.

PS4 Jailbreak – the current status

In October 2016, a PS4 4.01 Jailbreak was demonstrated at the GeekPwn 2016 convention. This PS4 Jailbreak was later confirmed to work up to firmware 4.05 included. However, none of the groups in possession of the exploit have committed to releasing it so far. In December 2016, Fail0verflow demonstrated Linux running on PS4 Firmware 4.05.

It is currently possible to Jailbreak your PS4 if you are on firmware 1.76 or below. The full files to Jailbreak the PS4 and/or run Linux have been released here. We have an article to help you find a 1.76 PS4 to buy. The dlclose exploit lets you run Linux on your PS4, or run your own PS4 native code.

For people running on a firmware higher than 1.76, it is generally recommended that you stay on as low a firmware as possible, as new hacks will eventually surface. Your current best bet however is to get a 1.76 PS4.

Additionally, people have found ways to pirate games on the PS4 with Raspberry pi  (a technique known as the Brazilian Jailbreak) in 2014. See below for details. It is unclear if this technique still works on latest firmwares.

Quicklinks

PS4 Jailbreak – Linux on the PS4

In December 2015, Fail0verflow showed at the CCC hacking convention that they have Linux running on the PS4. They later on released all the required source code to run Linux on PS4, but not the required PS4 Jailbreak. Hacks have now been released for some models of PS4 to run Linux. Fail0verflow demonstrated Linux running on PS4 again, on Firmware 4.0x at the end of 2016.

PS4 Jailbreak - Emulator on ps4 - Pokemon on PS4

Emulator on ps4 – Pokemon on PS4

Careful examination of the Fail0verflow 2015 presentation showed that the Fail0verflow crew were running their exploits through the Webkit 1.76 exploit, meaning their console was running on Firmware 1.76 at the time. in the 2016 Presentation, Fail0verflow member Marcan confirmed his PS4 was running on firmware 4.05.

Fail0verflow have stated that many kernel exploits exist on the PS4, and they are “easy to find”.

Linux on the PS4 – News

PS4 Jailbreak – CTurt Kernel exploits (BadIRET, dlclose)

PS4 Jailbreak 1.76

In December 2015, hacker CTurt confirmed he has a PS4 jailbreak. He later revealed a second exploit. Both exploits have been released, in particular the dlclose exploit has been releasesd on PS4 firmware 1.76 and below, and is fully functional.

CTurt PS4 Jailbreak – Older News

PS4 Jailbreak – the Brazilian PS4 Jailbreak (2014)

Although not an actual “PS4 Jailbreak” that would allow to run unsigned code, it’s been confirmed that people have found ways to pirate games on the PS4, without the use for any advanced hack. With the use of a simple raspberry pi, electronics stores in Brazil have been able to dump the licenses of games from a PS4 to another, enabling them to pirate games. This technique is also known as PS4 NOR Cloning.

PS4 Jailbreak explained (the Brazilian Method)

In the Brazilian “Jailbreak”, it seems the PS4 NOR is dumped to a memory card. Reading/Writing Data from a PS4 that has the right games “activated” on it seems to be the technique that has been used by hackers in Brazil to Jailbreak the PS4. Videos have been showcasing the use of a Raspberry PI and free software JAISPI to perform the dump. Note that it is recommended that you do not try to reproduce this unless you know exactly what you’re doing.

It is believed a similar NOR dump technique has been used by the Brazilian stores selling pirated games.

PS4 Jailbreak News – Real exploits.

Historical information that led to the 1.76 PS4 Jailbreak, as well as information on ongoing hacks for the PS4.

Also check these other (real) PS4 hacks

A jailbreak is not the only way you can enhance your PS4 functionality! Check the following:

• PS4 Remote play – Developers found ways to port the PS4 Remote Play functionality to android and PC.

PS4 Jailbreak News & rumors – Fake exploits.

Although there is real progress being made on PS4 Jailbreaks and hacks, several sites exist with the goal of tricking you, pretending they have a PS4 Jailbreak for you. We debunk a few of those below, as always, beware of bad sites. When a PS4 Jailbreak is made available for your PS4, popular scene sites such as us at wololo.net will be the firsts to let you know.ps4 jailbreak - ps4 devkit

If you just found an unknown website that claims to provide a CFW or jailbreak for the PS4, be extremely careful. Such sites are usually trying to get you to answer some sort of survey in order to get the “hack”. This is how they make money in general (but this is not their only technique!), as they get paid for every person who completes a survey. These surveys will most of the time not lead you to anything, or in some cases they will let you download a file that has nothing to do with a PS4 jailbreak. Their explanations for the hack will usually be extremely fishy, for example asking you to copy some files on the PS4 hard drive without explaining how to actually do it, or things similar to that. They have fake comments on their site to make you believe their stuff is legit, and also use black hat techniques to build fake followers on twitter and facebook.

More generally, ask yourself about the odds that you are the first one in the world to find about a PS4 hack that nobody else knows about. Console hacking is our passion on this site, and we have dozens of community members scouting the internet for any verifiable piece of information. If something like that was legit, we would find out within hours. Again, when a PS4 jailbreak/Custom Firmware is made available, wololo.net and other reputable scene websites will be the first ones to let you know.

Please share this page with your friends whenever they think they have found a PS4 Jailbreak. This page will be updated with the latest progress on PS4 hacking.

1. Zmerk says:

Has anyone tried this new PS4 jailbreak [link to fake site ps4portal removed by moderator]

• Albert Barquero says:

It’s fake, you have to do a survey. If it were so easy, the people who really knows about hacking, wouldn’t try to install a running OS on the ps4 to see how to make profit with security fails.
      I have a running Fedora on 1.76 ps4 and waiting for news about install packages on it.
      Sorry for my english but i’m german 😉

• hyteyuke says:

Cant open the file need a password, I think this one is fake

2. Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve be mindful your stuff prior to and
    you are simply too wonderful. I actually like what you have received right here, really like what
    you’re stating and the way in which wherein you say it.
    You are making iit enjoyable and you still takke care of to keep it sensible.
    I can’t wait to read much more from you. That is reallly a tremendous website.

3. kddadon says:

With PS4 jailbreak would you be able to download free games from the playstation store?

4. Doron says:

that’s why i want to jailbreak the ps4 – becuse sony is milking us wherever they can(like increasing psplus subscription fee)

5. Satanh says:

I want 2 play ps 1-3 game disks on the ps4 . To say its impossible is not true as anyone who knows about technology knows sony just coded the ps4 so it Won’t regonize the s disks format . Its a matter of time b4 the locking codes are broken . I’m sure someone knows how to unlock the ps4

• tony says:

no, you obviously do not understand technology. The console needs to emulate the hardware of the past consoles it isnt just disabled its not possible in most cases. Some Officially released classic games cannot be ported for the PlayStation store simply because they do not emulate correctly.

Im sure ps2 and ps1 will run with no issue in the future when more exploits become available and interest grows but the ps3 ran on completely different hardware that is a bit tricky to emulate. So no,I highly doubt ps3 will ever play on ps4 unless its officially supported and ported by a game for game bases.

6. ravasquezgt says:

Update with the port of HENkaku its a PoC but counts!

7. spok says:

yo does any1 know if there will be CFW possible with new PS4 Pro like HW bugs or exploiting the different settings of launching games maybe? 🙂

8. Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thanks, However I am experiencing problems with your RSS.
    I don’t know the reason why I can’t subscribe to it.
    Is there anybody else getting the same RSS problems?
    Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!

9. Howdy! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your
    site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when browsing from my iphone.
    I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be
    able to fix this problem. If you have any recommendations,
    please share. Thanks!

10. Amazing blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed ..
    Any suggestions? Cheers!

11. Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum
    it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.

I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any recommendations for novice blog writers?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it.

12. quinton says:

Can i have the password for the CFW Update pup ps4 jailbreak zip

13. grecee says:

ps4 is about to jailbroken even if your on ofw 4.00 just look on psxhax

14. Albert456 says:

To have this desire to play and not play anything. I would like to forget.

15. UdontNeedIt says:

I am very *** off at wololo for not even talking about the ps4 or its new firmware update 4.00… so what wololo cant even talk about the ps4 anymore seems to me they just shoveling *** at us about the psvita and covering up the fact that they cant report anything on the ps4 for a odd reason what makes matters worse they dont usually miss the heads up on the new firmware and what its actualy doing type of stuff… and i agree the vita does need stuff but damn bro throw some daily useful stuff out for ps4

• wololo says:

We just recently covered the 4.01 jailbreak. Apologies as my time is limited and I can’t cover all consoles at once. We’ll try to get better!

16. TRSI? says:

hey one known group TRSI anounced they will release something for PS4 soon and are looking for devs/testers – are they legit? (source: psxhax:)

17. Harley says:

I savour, lead to I found just what I used to be looking for.

You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you
    man. Have a great day. Bye

18. Brandie says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on supersonic reviews.
    Regards

19. First off I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if
    you do not mind. I was interested to know how you
    center yourself and clear your mind before writing.
    I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my ideas out there.
    I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the
    first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost simply just trying to figure
    out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints?
    Thanks!

20. Ahmed Nasser says:

Am I regretting that I updated from 3.55 to 4.00 ? 🙁
    Will be there at least a web-kit !!

21. Pedro Amaral says:

MAN! Gotta need some serious help here, tricky problem!
    • Im on 3.11 Brazillian Jailbreak, how can I update so I can run new games and update them?
    Or is there a way to removing this jailbreak without breaking my console?

Thanks!

22. I’m more than happy to uncover this web site. I want to to
    thuank you for your time for this fantastic read!! I definitely appreciated
    every bit of it and i also have you saved as a favorite to see
    nnew stuff on your site.

23. resep nasi goreng
    mengenai cara menurunkan berat badan
    penjelasan cara membuat anak

penjelasan jodoh
    mengenai resep mie ayam
    mengenai tutorial jilbab
    cerita cinta
    mengenai make up natural
    bayi baru lahir
    penjelasan masak apa hari ini
    masker wajah alami

tentang mawar hitam
    jerawat
    payudara wanita

29. resep spaghetti carbonara
    cara diet sehat
    cara menurunkan berat badan
    info resep masakan sehari hari
    tanda-tanda melahirkan
    mawar hitam
    resep makanan
    resep ubi
    tentang resep spaghetti carbonara
    resep selai nanas

30. cerita sedih
    arti mimpi bersetubuh
    apa itu model rambut panjang
    arti mimpi bersetubuh
    mengenai makanan sehat
    tentang tutorial make up natural
    model rambut pendek wanita
    ramalan cinta
    gejala kanker payudara
    resep cheese cake

31. resep udang
    mengenai mengatasi rambut rontok
    patah hatihttp://bit.ly/2dOYIYK
    Mengenai kondom wanita
    cara menebalkan alis mata
    resep pancake
    seks
    info cara membuat anak
    apa itu makanan sehat
    apa itu cara memperbesar payudara

32. apa itu cerita cinta sedih
    daerah sensitif wanita
    tentang daun mangkokan
    mengenai arti mimpi bersetubuh
    tentang resep makanan
    mengenai resep kue kering
    apa itu cara mengembalikan keperawanan
    penyebab kanker payudara