PS4 Jailbreak: Official tools and news for PS4 Jailbreak, latest 2017 updates directly from the PS4 hacking scene. You just got yourself a new PS4, and are looking for a PS4 Jailbreak / PS4 Custom Firmware solution? Then bookmark this page, as it will be kept up to date with the latest, greatest, and simplest solutions available for Playstation 4 CFW.
PS4 Jailbreak – the current status
A note on game backups/piracy: people have found ways to pirate games on the PS4 with Raspberry pi (a technique known as the Brazilian Jailbreak) in 2014. See below for details. It is unclear if this technique still works on latest firmwares.
In October 2017, Fail0verflow published a technical description of a Kernel exploit running up to Firmware 4.05 included. Although nothing has been released yet, there’s currently nothing preventing a release of a PS4 Jailbreak for firmware 4.05 based on this writeup. We believe it is only a matter of time for a working release.
In March 2017, a PS4 Webkit exploit was released for Firmwares up to 4.07. Although not a full jailbreak, this is the most recent known public exploit since a Webkit exploit released on firmware 3.55 in August 2016. In October 2017, Qwertyoruiop, the hacker behind the webkit exploit, and a famed iOS hacker, stated he has a PS4 5.00 Jailbreak. This has not been released yet.
It is currently possible to Jailbreak your PS4 if you are on firmware 1.76 or below. The full files to Jailbreak the PS4 and/or run Linux have been released here. We have an article to help you find a 1.76 PS4 to buy. The dlclose exploit lets you run Linux on your PS4, or run your own PS4 native code.
For people running on a firmware higher than 1.76, it is generally recommended that you stay on as low a firmware as possible, as new hacks will eventually surface. Your current best bet however is to get a 1.76 PS4.
- Linux on the PS4 (Fail0verflow)
- CTurt PS4 Kernel Exploits
- PS4 Brazilian Jailbreak
- Jailbreak PS4 News & rumors – Fake exploits
PS4 Jailbreak – Linux on the PS4
In December 2015, Fail0verflow showed at the CCC hacking convention that they have Linux running on the PS4. They later on released all the required source code to run Linux on PS4, but not the required PS4 Jailbreak. Hacks have now been released for some models of PS4 to run Linux. Fail0verflow demonstrated Linux running on PS4 again, on Firmware 4.0x at the end of 2016.
Careful examination of the Fail0verflow 2015 presentation showed that the Fail0verflow crew were running their exploits through the Webkit 1.76 exploit, meaning their console was running on Firmware 1.76 at the time. in the 2016 Presentation, Fail0verflow member Marcan confirmed his PS4 was running on firmware 4.05.
Fail0verflow have stated that many kernel exploits exist on the PS4, and they are “easy to find”.
Linux on the PS4 – News
- PS4 hacks: Fail0verflow demonstrate linux running on PS4 Firmware 4.05 (2016/12)
- Release: Fully operation dlclose exploit + Linux for PS4, by kR105 (2016/04)
- SteamOS on the PS4 a possibility in the near future? (2015/12)
- Fail0verflow: “For the PS4, we’re trying something new” (2015/12)
- Linux on PS4: Fail0verflow Showcase Linux on the PS4, run a Pokémon demo (2015/12)
- Linux on PS4: More confirmation bubbling up from the scene (2015/12)
- Fail0verflow to announce a Jailbreak on PS4? (2015/12)
PS4 Jailbreak – CTurt Kernel exploits (BadIRET, dlclose)
In December 2015, hacker CTurt confirmed he has a PS4 jailbreak. He later revealed a second exploit. Both exploits have been released, in particular the dlclose exploit has been releasesd on PS4 firmware 1.76 and below, and is fully functional.
CTurt PS4 Jailbreak – Older News
- CTurt publishes PS4 Kernel exploit technical details, decides to end hacking research on PS4 (2015/12)
- Cturt Confirms PS4 Kernel Exploit (2015/12)
PS4 Jailbreak – the Brazilian PS4 Jailbreak (2014)
Although not an actual “PS4 Jailbreak” that would allow to run unsigned code, it’s been confirmed that people have found ways to pirate games on the PS4, without the use for any advanced hack. With the use of a simple raspberry pi, electronics stores in Brazil have been able to dump the licenses of games from a PS4 to another, enabling them to pirate games. This technique is also known as PS4 NOR Cloning.
- New piracy technique on PS4 in Brazil confirmed to be real, Sony might take legal action
- Jailbreak on PS4: origins and game list
PS4 Jailbreak explained (the Brazilian Method)
In the Brazilian “Jailbreak”, it seems the PS4 NOR is dumped to a memory card. Reading/Writing Data from a PS4 that has the right games “activated” on it seems to be the technique that has been used by hackers in Brazil to Jailbreak the PS4. Videos have been showcasing the use of a Raspberry PI and free software JAISPI to perform the dump. Note that it is recommended that you do not try to reproduce this unless you know exactly what you’re doing.
It is believed a similar NOR dump technique has been used by the Brazilian stores selling pirated games.
PS4 Jailbreak News – Real exploits.
Historical information that led to the 1.76 PS4 Jailbreak, as well as information on ongoing hacks for the PS4.
- 2017/10/16: Hacker Qwertyoruiop claims victory on Firmware 5.00
- 2017/4/2: PS4 4.50 Jailbreak: qwertyoruiop progresses on PS4 Webkit hack, states he has a 4.50 kernel exploit
- 2016/10/24: PS4 4.01 Jailbreak showcased by Chinese hackers at Geekpwn convention
- 2016/04/02: Release: Fully operation dlclose exploit + Linux for PS4, by kR105
- 2015/12/30: Linux on PS4: Fail0verflow Showcase Linux on the PS4, run a Pokémon demo
- 2015/12/06: PS4 Hack: CTurt confirms PS4 Kernel exploit
- 2015/05/13: New piracy technique on PS4 in Brazil confirmed to be real, Sony might take legal action
- 2015/04/26: Jailbreak on PS4: origins and game list
- 2015/04/24: PS4 service for Jailbreak rumors incoming from Brazil
- 2014/10/24: Webkit exploit confirmed to run on PS4 firmware 1.76
Also check these other (real) PS4 hacks
A jailbreak is not the only way you can enhance your PS4 functionality! Check the following:
- PS4 Remote play – Developers found ways to port the PS4 Remote Play functionality to android and PC.
PS4 Jailbreak News & rumors – Fake exploits.
Although there is real progress being made on PS4 Jailbreaks and hacks, several sites exist with the goal of tricking you, pretending they have a PS4 Jailbreak for you. We debunk a few of those below, as always, beware of bad sites. When a PS4 Jailbreak is made available for your PS4, popular scene sites such as us at wololo.net will be the firsts to let you know.
If you just found an unknown website that claims to provide a CFW or jailbreak for the PS4, be extremely careful. Such sites are usually trying to get you to answer some sort of survey in order to get the “hack”. This is how they make money in general (but this is not their only technique!), as they get paid for every person who completes a survey. These surveys will most of the time not lead you to anything, or in some cases they will let you download a file that has nothing to do with a PS4 jailbreak. Their explanations for the hack will usually be extremely fishy, for example asking you to copy some files on the PS4 hard drive without explaining how to actually do it, or things similar to that. They have fake comments on their site to make you believe their stuff is legit, and also use black hat techniques to build fake followers on twitter and facebook.
More generally, ask yourself about the odds that you are the first one in the world to find about a PS4 hack that nobody else knows about. Console hacking is our passion on this site, and we have dozens of community members scouting the internet for any verifiable piece of information. If something like that was legit, we would find out within hours. Again, when a PS4 jailbreak/Custom Firmware is made available, wololo.net and other reputable scene websites will be the first ones to let you know.
Please share this page with your friends whenever they think they have found a PS4 Jailbreak. This page will be updated with the latest progress on PS4 hacking.