[Suggestion] Quests/Tasks

Suggestion about adding, unlockable, tasks, rewards and credits to the game.
wololo
Site Admin

Re: [Suggestion] Quests/Tasks

Post by wololo »

Awesome! Can we expect that in next release, or will this be too soon? (dang, I act like any other user who can't wait for a new feature :mrgreen: )
Szei

Post by Szei »

This looks impressive and I too can't wait. One thing though, for the delay quests, perhaps the reward should take into account the fact that the user is missing out on the 'Fast and Furious' bonus. Because... I almost always get between 100-300 for fast and furious so it doesn't really see like it's ever worth it to delay. Also, is there a way we can see a running total of how many quests we've beaten?

Anyway, great work! =D
Daddy32

Post by Daddy32 »

wololo wrote:Awesome! Can we expect that in next release, or will this be too soon?
Well the functionality is more or less covered - it is a bit simplified compared to the original plan, but it working OK game-wise; there will be enough time for improvements later. Now it's only question of tiding up a code and visuals and adding/tweaking task types. So, I think it's probable, it could be included.
Szei wrote:...for the delay quests, perhaps the reward should take into account the fact that the user is missing out on the 'Fast and Furious' bonus.
I have thought about this and 'Delay' task reward will always be greater than 'Fast and furious' bonus earned in the same turn.
Szei wrote:...so it doesn't really see like it's ever worth it to delay.
This is still questionable. This type of tasks is meant for decks which are fun to play, but are unable to get the F'n'F bonus because they are too slow - and are therefore crippled in the terms of credit-earning effectiveness - as F'n'F is currently actually the best source of credits in game (I consider it being too high, compared with other bonuses) which almost forces the player to build fast decks, if he wants to earn credits.
For the purpose of helping to determine the appropriateness of task rewards, I've included 'Credits (earned) per minute' counter (which will probably be removed upon integration into official version).
Anyway, this is exactly the type of feedback I'll need to tweak the functionality.
Szei wrote:Also, is there a way we can see a running total of how many quests we've beaten?
This is interesting idea and will probably get implemented (maybe even including per-deck statistics), but not likely in the first version.
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

Daddy32 wrote:Well the functionality is more or less covered - it is a bit simplified compared to the original plan, but it working OK game-wise; there will be enough time for improvements later. Now it's only question of tiding up a code and visuals and adding/tweaking task types. So, I think it's probable, it could be included.
Yay! :)

(And wololo has my complete understanding for being eager to test this new feature, because I feel exactly the same way ;) ).

Btw, I like how you added flavor to the tasks by giving them a bit of a description, It's just a one-liner, but it does contribute to the atmosphere. :)
Daddy32

Post by Daddy32 »

Alpha version available for testing, see the first post.
Any kind of (constructive) feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Szei

Post by Szei »

I guess I'm missing something. I started the game with the new eboot, went into the shop, and pressed 'esc' (on computer, I wanted to check if it worked before I put it on my psp). I didn't see a 'get tasks' option...

Also, why is the eboot you provided so much smaller than the 0.9.1 eboot?
flad_nag

Post by flad_nag »

thanks for this. here's my obervation upon trying the exe file.

1- I replaced the exe file that i have with SVN 1423; it ran okay and i saw the "see avaialble task" option upon escaping at the shop.
2- At first no tasks were displayed, so i pressed the "J" (square in psp) key and a task appeared
3- I pressed escape again, to select "save and back to main menu" - it crashes
3.1- after the crash, restarting the game is not possible anymore (crashes at startup)
3.2- i needed to delete the tasks.dat inside the player folder in order for it to be okay again

4- to prevent #3 above to happen, when you are inside the tasklist, you should press "I" (triangle) to exit properly to the shop, then escape to exit from the shop to the main menu (no crashes); so it think there is a bug on item 3 above --> pressing escape while inside the tasklist

haven't tried to complete the tasks yet so i was not able to verify if the reward will be given. Good job so far daddy32!

so are the tasks randomly generated by the program? or is there a specific list?
flad_nag

Post by flad_nag »

The bug i mentioned above is only true when AI deck has only 2 decks present. That is because i disable deck3 ai as I am hunting bugs using randomly generated deck1 and deck2.

So i tried #3 above with all SVN decks listed, and the i did not experienced any crash.

Just to add, upon entering the task list, i think there should be at least 1 task available already.
and yeah, im also curious why your file is very small compared to the official one?
flad_nag

Post by flad_nag »

Szei wrote: Also, why is the eboot you provided so much smaller than the 0.9.1 eboot?
In addition, I notice that it is a bit faster also as compared to the official exe.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Szei wrote: Also, why is the eboot you provided so much smaller than the 0.9.1 eboot?
The size of the eboot depends mostly on two things:
1) optimizations
2) Included Pic1.png and pic0.png

wagic 0.9.1 was compiled without optimizations (although the "alternate.pbp" should be smaller) and has a big png picture added to it. Changing these can reduce the size of the eboot, a lot. For example, the current SVN version, compiled with the -O2 flag, is 2.5 MB, which I believe is smaller than wagic 0.9.1