All Card Images - 93/93 Sets - WTH 0.13.1 Updated - HQ & PSP

Additional Ressources for WTH : new cards, card images & more
Guillo

Re: All Card Images - 93/93 Sets - WTH 0.13.1 Updated - HQ &

Post by Guillo »

LuLu wrote:m12!!!!!!!!!!!
YEAHHHH SOME1 SHOULD REALLY MAKE THE M12 ONES!!!!!!!!
lantern48

Post by lantern48 »

Any word on when we might get image sets for 'M12', 'Commanders', and 'New Phyrexia'?
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Guillo wrote:
lantern48 wrote:Any word on when we might get image sets for 'M12', 'Commanders', and 'New Phyrexia'?
Guys, this is a community, not a service. If you want the cards for M12, please create the package yourself and share it with everyone. This is how it should work. If the community was only made of people who ask for stuff, but no nice person who provide stuff, it would collapse.

In other words: don't ask for images. Either make them yourself and share them, or shut up and wait.
goojamin

Post by goojamin »

I'd suggest searching the forum there have been PSP image packs posted for NPH, COM, and M12 sets in some of the threads. Some are missing token images but they do include all card images.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

goojamin wrote:I'd suggest searching the forum there have been PSP image packs posted for NPH, COM, and M12 sets in some of the threads. Some are missing token images but they do include all card images.
I believe this thread has them for PSP:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3066
lantern48

Post by lantern48 »

wololo wrote:
Guillo wrote:
lantern48 wrote:Any word on when we might get image sets for 'M12', 'Commanders', and 'New Phyrexia'?
Guys, this is a community, not a service. If you want the cards for M12, please create the package yourself and share it with everyone. This is how it should work. If the community was only made of people who ask for stuff, but no nice person who provide stuff, it would collapse.

In other words: don't ask for images. Either make them yourself and share them, or shut up and wait.
Leave me some instructions on how to do it and I'll have it done in a few days at most.
But unless you provide some guidance on how to do it, it's kind of pointless to bark at people about it.

In fact, if you really care about growing the community here, you or other knowledgeable people should have a few starter threads:

- A stickied thread that has a tutorial on how to make image sets for both PSP and the PC. And keep in mind when you explain it that many people don't even know the basics, but would love to do it if we only knew how - just remember to not explain it like you were speaking to someone who knows all this stuff already.

- A stickied thread that gets people started using the Tortis SVN. At least explain the basics, and most people with the desire will go from there. When you explain it, remember many of us are beginners and are learning from scratch, don't explain things to us like you were talking to Bill Gates. You guys who know this stuff already tend to explain it like you forget we know very little or nothing at all about it. Talk down and simplify it as much as you can. It's ok, I'm not sensitive. We want to learn. Teach us.

- Any other helpful stickied thread/s that would help novices to learn and become active members of the community. People do want to help, we just don't know how. Help us help you and this community. :)
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

lantern48 wrote: But unless you provide some guidance on how to do it, it's kind of pointless to bark at people about it.

In fact, if you really care about growing the community here, you or other knowledgeable people should have a few starter threads:
As a reminder, I've spent the past 4 years of my life working on this project and maintaining this website. The amount of time I spend on Wagic has endangered my family life more than once. I wish I had time to write tutorials for all the aspects of this game, but believe me when I say I don't have that kind of time. I believe the same is true for most of the "knowledgeable" people. In my opinion, most people are just too lazy to try and learn stuff by themselves. I get the same when people ask me about PSP hacking, to some people it's as if hackers got their knowledge from their parents or at school. There's always somebody to believe hackers have a secret way to know more stuff than normal people do. When actually the only answer is google and lots of dedication.
I know you did not mean to sound aggressive here, but please try to choose your words carefully...
lantern48 wrote: - A stickied thread that has a tutorial on how to make image sets for both PSP and the PC. And keep in mind when you explain it that many people don't even know the basics, but would love to do it if we only knew how - just remember to not explain it like you were speaking to someone who knows all this stuff already.
On the one had you tell me that you are willing to learn, on the other hand you give me lots of indications that you didn't read the game's Readme, or you never tried to open one of the image zips and see what's inside. You never tried to code a card either. If you had tried any of these, you would have realized there is no magic (no pun intended) behind card pictures creation. The people who provide the card pictures didn't get any pointers from me, and yet at some point they figured it out with the information that's already available here or on google. So, my question to you is "how seriously are you willing to learn those things? How serious do you think you look, when I can clearly see that others have done it without my help?"
Don't get me wrong, I agree that documentation of all aspects of Wagic is seriously missing, or lacking important stuff. But that's what I say when I talk about the community. Instead of expecting people who already work hard on the project to provide even more, why don't you start (for example) your own thread with a series of links to existing documentation? I'm sure this would help a lot of people.

Back on images:
There are dozens of ways to get/create those images, I'm afraid a tutorial would be pointless, and I'm personally not a photoshop expert, but here are a few pointers:

The first step is to get the images. People who don't have any script knowledge will simply grab the card images from their favorite website (the two most obvious being http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx and http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/view ... f=15&t=445 ). People passionate with quality and HQ will buy all the cards of a set and scan them on their computer (but luckily most of the time the good people at slightlymagic - see previous link - do it for us).

The second step is to crop/resize the images to your liking and to match Wagic's recommended size. The readme (see below) gives the recommended sizes for the PSP, but bigger images should be done for HQ obviously, and/or different format for the Tiny crops (<-- Wagic is pretty flexible here, the only problem is for the PSP, where big images could slow the game down, so use the recommended sizes there). Here, everybody has their own technique. I personally use imageMagick, but I'm assuming lots of people are manually editing each card, with photoshop or similar tools

The third step is to create the correct zip file. From there, it's just a matter of naming the files correctly, using their gatherer id instead of their name (quickly looking at the the contents of existing set images should be explanation good enough, but the game also ships with a README.txt explaining that kind of stuff).

From the readme that ships with each release:
=====================================
WHERE ARE THE CARD PICTURES ?
=====================================
New releases of Wagic do not include card pictures due to legal concerns, but you can of course still use your own pictures to replace the default "text" version.
card pictures have to be in the following format:

200x285 jpeg for "big" pictures
45x64 jpeg for thumbnails
pictures must be in the Set subdirectory of the card they represent, and their name is the id of the card they represent.
for example, if a card named "air elemental", in the Set directory "RV" has the following id:1189, then you'll need a 200x285 jpeg file named "1189.jpg" in the Res/Sets/RV directory, and a 45x64 jpeg file named "1189.jpg" in the Res/Sets/RV/thumbnails directory.

Pictures representing tokens have the following naming convention: id of the card that created them followed by a "t".
For example, if a card name "the hive" has the ability to create tokens and the id 1138, token pictures generated by this card have to be named "1138t.jpg", and respect the same size conventions as the other cards.

You can also put the images in a zip file with the following structure:
Sets/[SETNAME]/[SETNAME].zip
For example, Sets/RV/RV.zip
Files inside the zip should have the following pattern:
*.jpg
thumbnails/*.jpg
For example: Sets/RV/RV.zip/1234.jpg and Sets/RV/RV.zip/thumbnails/1234.jpg
It is highly recommended to NOT compress the zip, but just use the "store" option.

Google or the wagic forum will help you if you have problems finding/installing card pictures.
lantern48 wrote: - A stickied thread that gets people started using the Tortis SVN. At least explain the basics, and most people with the desire will go from there. When you explain it, remember many of us are beginners and are learning from scratch, don't explain things to us like you were talking to Bill Gates. You guys who know this stuff already tend to explain it like you forget we know very little or nothing at all about it. Talk down and simplify it as much as you can. It's ok, I'm not sensitive. We want to learn. Teach us.
The tutorial on how to compile was mostly written by somebody who had 0 experience in programming beforehand. It is honestly dumbed down to the max, although it could probably benefit from pictures.
There is nothing to explain about tortoiseSVN once it is set up, and the tutorial already explains that.
I'm going to give you the link to that tutorial, my assumption being that you never stumbled upon it, and hoping that it will answer your questions.

http://wololo.net/miki/index.php/Wagic/ ... or_Windows

Again, Tortoise SVN is a generic tool used by us, but it is not needed for images, so I'm not sure why you are asking about this.
I've seen some devs (mostly, Dr.Solomat and Zethfox) recommending people to use Tortoise SVN in order to grab the latest cards and the latest version of Wagic. This is a good recommendation, but if you're not ready to spend a few hours learning by yourself about those tools, maybe you're not the kind of person targeted by these recommendations. And in this case, it is probably better for you to wait for a few weeks until an official release is made.

Again, SVN is a tool for developers, we provide svn access to everyone as a convenience for people who can't wait for official releases, but in return we expect people to do the necessary efforts of learning how to use it. This is how we spot the people who can probably join the dev team in the future.
lantern48 wrote: - Any other helpful stickied thread/s that would help novices to learn and become active members of the community. People do want to help, we just don't know how. Help us help you and this community. :)
There's a bunch of sticky threads already, with lots of explanations. As you know wagic is extremely customizable, so it is very difficult to cover all aspects.

How to create cards:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1545
http://wololo.net/miki/index.php/Wagic/CardCode

How to compile/use svn:
http://wololo.net/miki/index.php/Wagic/Compiling

How to format card pictures:
Check the Readme in the game

Creating Themes:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=746

Creating your own boosters:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2632

How to translate Wagic:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2847

etc...

Again, not trying to say I won't help here, but please help yourself first, and you'll see there's little needed from people who already do their best for this project ;)
Shadowfireomega

Post by Shadowfireomega »

So a quick question, is there an easy installer for the picture files yet? if not i can whip one up in about a week or so....
Wagic: the Homebrew Image Pack Easy Installers

"I love being wrong, for if I was always right, I would never learn anything, and that would be a sad life." -Benjamin Fisher
check out my blog http://shadowfireomega.blogspot.com/
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Shadowfireomega wrote:So a quick question, is there an easy installer for the picture files yet?
Not one that is regularly maintained/updated AFAIK
Shadowfireomega

Post by Shadowfireomega »

Cool, I just made one w/the pics from the first post, will update when new ones come out.

Few things tho:
1. May I have permission to use the wololo W as the icon, and use the Wagic the Homebrew logo pic for the downloader sidebar?
2. Where would be a good, reliable, easy to use file storage site to upload it to?
Wagic: the Homebrew Image Pack Easy Installers

"I love being wrong, for if I was always right, I would never learn anything, and that would be a sad life." -Benjamin Fisher
check out my blog http://shadowfireomega.blogspot.com/