Magic: The Gathering Theme

Graphics and Themes you created go here.
Please read the Image Theme Guide, FAQ, & Index before posting in this forum.
AzureKnight

Magic: The Gathering Theme

Post by AzureKnight »

As stated in the title, this is a Magic Theme for the latest Wagic 0.9.1

I basically copied most of the image files from my 0.8.1 and
the backdrop from the Jade theme (coz it's so cool)
and put it in appropriate folders to fit the new theme system.

I also edited the "menuicons.png" a little,
so that you can see the colourless mana symbols.

Like I said, it's mainly a copy/paste version. Since I haven't seen anything like this for the new version,
I thought I'll post this here, for the convenience of everyone. :D

How to install ?

Unzip the content and copy the Magic folder into your themes folder on your PSP.
It's as simple as that!
Includes MTG card back and avatars in the "Customise" folder.
See the README for more info.

Screenshot:

Credits:

to Jeck for the awesome backdrop

to NyghtcrawleR for "Real Magic" Graphic Mod v0.8.1

Enjoy! ;)

Magic: The Gathering Theme (Ver.2): http://jump.fm/CHCMT
Mirror: http://www.filefactory.com/file/a08aad9 ... _Theme_zip
(Works on 0.9.2 as well)

Useful Links:

"Real Magic" Eboot.PBP Mod (0.9.1) - by kabir94: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=776

MTG Card Images (0.8.1) - by NyghtcrawleR: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=318

MTG Card Images with all tokens (0.9.1) - by abrasax: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726
Last edited by AzureKnight on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:50 am, edited 7 times in total.
Image 3rd Place Winner: SilverBlade by AzureKnight Image TOP 25: Skies of Emeria by AzureKnight
Jeck

Re: Magic: The Gathering Theme

Post by Jeck »

While it's nice that you've done this, I believe most of the images and whatnot that you're using are part of NyghtcrawleR's work here: "Real Magic" graphic mod.

That's the "Real Magic" sticky right at the top of this forum. Then, the backdrop you're using is from my official Jade theme- while I'm glad you like it, I'm afraid I don't approve of this use. If you'd like to include a backdrop in your theme, please create one yourself; if you're really a fan of Jade, then just tell people to copy it... they've already got it, so why make your download bigger? Another thing that's making your download bigger is the *.psi files, which I can't really tell if you (or someone else) edited.

The main reason I'm disappointed with this is that the themeinfo lists you as the artist. If you look at the built-in official themes, you'll notice they all read "Wagic Team". That's not a mistake- we did that because the Wagic art comes from many different artists, and giving credit to just one would be a slight to everyone else that worked on the project. Your art also comes from many different artists, and I don't honestly think that "AzureKnight" is one of them.

I'm very glad that you're interested in making themes, but please don't plagiarize our own community. :) I'm pretty sure this is an honest mistake, so don't take it too harshly. There are hundreds of thousands of images out on the net you could use without anyone here saying a word... and it feels a lot better to have made something on your own, rather than borrowing parts. Trust me, it's worth it :)
AzureKnight

Post by AzureKnight »

Oops. Sorry about that. Was gonna put up the credits. (Done).

I'm just putting everything into one folder for convenience. So that people can just download one file.

If you still don't want me to use your backdrop, I'll take it down.
Last edited by AzureKnight on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image 3rd Place Winner: SilverBlade by AzureKnight Image TOP 25: Skies of Emeria by AzureKnight
Jeck

Post by Jeck »

Well, that's a little bit better. I've updated the theme FAQ with our policy on theme remixes, please read that. You have my official permission to use the Jade backdrop in this particular theme, if you so desire. I'm being pretty okay with this, as Jade is part of our official art, so it's immediately clear you didn't make it- please don't try to use art from any of my other themes.

However! You also need NyghtcrawleR's permission before posting this. Nyght is pretty active on the forums here, so if you send him a private message I'm sure he'll respond sometime this week. If he says no, then I'm afraid you won't be allowed to repost the file. If he says yes, please ask him to post a reply to this topic saying something along the lines of "I'm okay with AzureKnight using the art from my theme in this remix".

If you repost the files without NyghtcrawleR's permission, I'm afraid we'll have to delete this thread entirely. That's just the way it is-- you can borrow art from all over the internet, but you can't copy from our local artists without permission. Sorry.

Edit: From my understanding, the mana icons were from an earlier Wagic release, so using those is also not an issue... unless I'm wrong. The logo text is official MtG art, but I think it was transformed into a transparent png by Nyghtcrawler. The avatar is definitely from Nyght's theme, so I stand by the fact that you'll need Nyght's permission. I'm sorry if this is overly harsh. I'm glad that you're part of the Wagic community, and I don't think you did anything here that was intentionally bad. We just can't set the precedent of having local art used without permission.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to offer advice and graphical tips on making your own theme. Trust me, it's a very rewarding hobby... with a little work you can put together something awesome, and the skills you learn can be used almost anywhere.
Last edited by Jeck on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Let me add a grain of salt to that, as I disagree a bit with you here Jeck.
Your own art is 100% original so I understand where you're coming from, and it's perfectly fine if you require people to ask your permission before using it.

Nyghtcrawler's work, on the other hand, mostly relies on copyrighted content that he doesn't own the rights for. It is tolerated on this forum since the files are not hosted here, but I think it's a bit "over the top" to ask AzureKnight to remove the file, while Nyghtcrawler probably never got the permission from the original artists to use all these graphics in the first place.

AzureKnight, please keep in touch with Nyghtcralwer to make sure he's ok with this, but personally I don't see why he wouldn't. If we remove this theme, then it would be for copyright infringement, and in that case we should remove half of the posts on this forum...

Edit: and I'm not saying that no work was involved in Nyghtcrawlers release, just that it feels "awkward" to tell a guy that he's "stealing" (sorry, can't find a word with a better nuance due to my lack of vocabulary, english is not my mother language) content, when we don't even have the rights for the content...
NyghtcrawleR

Post by NyghtcrawleR »

Its fine to use the work as everything is credited. I do the same. Much of what I do for the unofficial release is from various resources, not just my own. Most of the work I did was avatars, I did redo the Wagic logo but referenced how Wololo originally did it (I just made it a higher quality). I have also done about half of the card images in my releases, which is where most of the work lies and I also did the eboot.

Anyway, this is fine for now but I will be creating my own release that will go in my thread and be updated as I see it should be. It will take a bit longer as I am a bit busy and need to get all of the sets done that I want to do and I have also been adding all the tokens (which takes forever mind you), so once all done I will release mine. This is fine for now though as the whole point is to have more options for people here. I was thinking of making a temp release that didnt add everything new yet (just basically pull what was from 0.8.1 and add it to 0.9.1 until I could do the full release) but looks like you beat me too that which is fine. I just moved and am looking for a new job so its been crazy and this release I have been father behind than I wanted to be.
"Real Magic" Graphic Mod & Image sets: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=318
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

need to get all of the sets done that I want to do and I have also been adding all the tokens (which takes forever mind you),
If you need support I'm here... I pretty quick at doing such work.... I was thinking about redoing some older sets (e.g TMP that is badly cropped from Gatherer) I could help you if needed.

Grü

Abra
We need your Help !!!
New to wagic ? Be sure to check the following :

Bug report: Bug reporting
Help us: Add cards & Compiling.
Customize: Themes FAQ, All images thread, Abra's Mediafire folder
Zethfox

Post by Zethfox »

wololo wrote:Let me add a grain of salt to that, as I disagree a bit with you here Jeck.
Your own art is 100% original so I understand where you're coming from, and it's perfectly fine if you require people to ask your permission before using it.

Nyghtcrawler's work, on the other hand, mostly relies on copyrighted content that he doesn't own the rights for. It is tolerated on this forum since the files are not hosted here, but I think it's a bit "over the top" to ask AzureKnight to remove the file, while Nyghtcrawler probably never got the permission from the original artists to use all these graphics in the first place.

AzureKnight, please keep in touch with Nyghtcralwer to make sure he's ok with this, but personally I don't see why he wouldn't. If we remove this theme, then it would be for copyright infringement, and in that case we should remove half of the posts on this forum...

Edit: and I'm not saying that no work was involved in Nyghtcrawlers release, just that it feels "awkward" to tell a guy that he's "stealing" (sorry, can't find a word with a better nuance due to my lack of vocabulary, english is not my mother language) content, when we don't even have the rights for the content...

this is a rather old post but i feel that i should add, there is a clause in copyright laws, that if you took a peice of artwork with or WITHOUT permission and modified it a min of 30% (this can be color changes, style changes, adding something new, even adding text over the top of it) you can legally publish or sell the work as tho it was your own. thats how it works in the usa atleast.