PSP 5.50 Gen D2

Anything related to the PSP (homebrews, plugins, hacking, news,...) can go here
Yeshua

PSP 5.50 Gen D2

Post by Yeshua »

Although I have this problem with any Gen firmware, I am picking on D2. Whenever I try to exit Memory Stick Menu in game (or load up wagic) It TAKES FOREVER!! Whats the deal? Is there a fix for this. I tried the fatmsmod, no dice... I also tried re-installing 4 TIMES... WTH?
Psyringe

Re: PSP 5.50 Gen D2

Post by Psyringe »

I have very little knowledge about PSP firmwares, but I've seen some talk about a speed patch for memory sticks which was apparently present in one CFW (M33?), but not in the latest GEN.
Yeshua

Post by Yeshua »

Yeah its called Fatmsmod. I tried it. Doesn't do anything. Still have the issue.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Is your memory stick a Sony or Sandisk one? Or is it a "fake" ? In other words, do you have MagicGate ? Magixien recently said that the "slow" effect only happens on fake memory sticks.
Yeshua

Post by Yeshua »

San Disk 2 GB Bought it at best buy. Unless best buy is selling fake sticks I doubt its fake... Tried formatting the stick too. No luck...
bcdiscman

Post by bcdiscman »

Yeshua wrote:Although I have this problem with any Gen firmware, I am picking on D2. Whenever I try to exit Memory Stick Menu in game (or load up wagic) It TAKES FOREVER!! Whats the deal? Is there a fix for this. I tried the fatmsmod, no dice... I also tried re-installing 4 TIMES... WTH?
I also run 5.50 Gen-D2 and have the same problem, but I don't think it is the problem...I have been running 5.50 Gen-D2 for months now and never had the speed problem until I downloaded NyghtcrawleR's "Real Magic" Graphic Mod for Wagic 0.9.1 (not that I would dream of getting rid of this Mod - but I think the problem may lay here or it may be that I now have three Wagic Mod's that load into Wagic - Real Magic, Ice Age, and Final Saga). Just Sayin' :P
ImageImageImageImage
BCdiscman
Yeshua

Post by Yeshua »

I have no such mods and still have the issue
Daddy32

Post by Daddy32 »

Found the cause finally:
Slowdown is occurring on GEN firmware when there are too many files in the Wagic folder. There are two most common reasons for having many files:

1. Using the SVN version with .svn subfolders in every folder. Delete those.
2. Using the pictures for cards in jpgs. Zip them (with no compression) and delete the jpgs.

Got my startup time from dang long to about 8 secs - which is not perfect, but is completely bearable.

Note to devs: Please, keep this in mind for future additions: Having too many files causes pain.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

This is obviously a bug in either sony's firmware or the GEN CFW.
I've never encountered the problem on a M33 firmware (but I could confirm it on a GEN firmware), so I'm going to assume this is a problem on Gen's side.
I contacted Magixien about the issue a while ago but he is in complete denial :|

Please try a M33 firmware and confirm if the issue goes away.

We will of course try to reduce the number of files in the future, but the Wagic team is clearly not responsible for the flaws of Custom firmwares.
You can also erase the Themes you don't use (even all the contents of the Theme subfolder if you want), it should help a bit.
Daddy32

Post by Daddy32 »

<Wimpy>
As I have no experience in meddling with PSP firmwares, I would prefer not to change it.
</Wimpy>

However, as I see the possibility of getting other homebrew running with less problems under M33, if anyone points me to the tutorial on how to switch to M33 from GEN, I'll do that.

Edit: By deleting the themes, start-up time got to 5 seconds.