M33/GEN

Anything related to the PSP (homebrews, plugins, hacking, news,...) can go here
Disturbed.1.93

M33/GEN

Post by Disturbed.1.93 »

Okay, as you may or may not know from my previous posts, I am a M33 fan but I have both GEN and M33 firmwares. I am making this post because I want to say something but I don't know who to say it to. Recently, MaGiXian gave us all news why there will not be a 6.XX GEN firmware: they use a new kernel. This is where, since I am an M33 fan and DAX has done it before, we need kernel support. Seriously, DAX can do it but he doesn't want to, I would like to but I have no skillage in PSP programming. So why doesn't team GEN work on kernel support, even if it is just 3.71 kernel. Honestly, I am sure we have all been waiting for an updated firmware for the official content as well as better stability (not to point any fingers at GEN ;) ). So, tell me what you guys think about this, i would like to know I am not the only one waiting for an update :) .
wololo
Site Admin

Re: M33/GEN

Post by wololo »

If I understood what Magixien said in his article, firmware 6.xx brings a huge change in binary compatibility.

Remember when we had 1.5 homebrews and 3.xx homebrews ? When people desperately wanted to downgrade to 1.5? When DAX had this "mixed" system that was taking both 1.5 and 3.xx modules and melt them together?When people complained that such homebrew didn't work on their slim because slim wasn't compatible with 1.5? When you had to deal with a GAME, GAME150, GAME3XX, GAME5XX folders?

Well it's pretty much the same mess, and right now they say it is not useful to do the migration.
For a starter, (again, assuming I understood correctly), NO homebrew can run right now on the 6.xx kernel. We would need to adapt all existing homebrews, recompile them or something...

It sounds fun from a dev's point of view, but it will mostly be a headache for users if/when the migration happens.
Basically people on 6.xx wouldn't be able to run currently existing homebrews, so homebrew coders would have to distribute a 3.xx version and a 6.xx version. Since the existing base of homebrews is mostly compatible with 3.xx, all people in 6.xx would then try to downgrade to 5.xx, in other to have their 3.xx homebrews back...
Disturbed.1.93

Post by Disturbed.1.93 »

Right, i understand the whole migration thing and to be honest i have no issues with putting things in both GAME and GAME150 on my psp. All I would like to say is that if there can be an integration, whether it just be a 3.XX and a 6.XX integration system, that would be cool, that way those who still want to use their 1.50 kernel stuff can use LEDA and those who want to use their 3.XX kernel stuff can put it in whatever folder it goes in and then that leaves room in the GAME folder for the official stuff as well as newly developed homebrew. If there is an integration, there would be no need for devs (probably requests however) to convert to 6.XX kernel. And correct me if I am wrong, but a recoding of the kernel or whatever Sony did with 6.XX would allow more features for game coding right? I could be wrong about that because, like i said before I lack programming skillage and am not too sure what all goes into it. But, you know, if devs look at that and say: "this'll be a fun project." whouldn't you be open to an update?
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

assuming there is a 6.XX CFW:
Backward compatibility will not be easy at all. It will take months before people on these firmwares can play 3.xx games. It's not like the devs can simply put a "GAME3xx" folder and "hop" it will work. It requires to deeply understand how the new firmware works, and if/how it can be made compatible. There's months of code required to do that.

Also, no, there is nothing new that we really want to use in Firmware 6.xx as far as I know, which is the reason why the devs at GEN don't feel any kind of necessity to work on this.
Disturbed.1.93

Post by Disturbed.1.93 »

Okay, that makes sense. But it looks like there was at least a 6.10 GEN-A (whether it be beta or not i have no clue) so there can be a CFW, but hey, there are a lot of great programmers out there who have not yet realized what they could do or contribute to that scene. Yes it woult take a lot of time and I understand that. Perhaps GEN (and hopefully DAX as well) are just waiting for a huge upgrade in the official firmware, which honestly I do not see. What would they offer for the psp that they already haven't? (Perhaps a linux command line *wishful thinking*) So then, since i know it will eventually come, whether it be sooner or later, there will be a CFW for the psp go and probably a full one for the psp 3000 as well, wouldn't it be good if there was an all-encompassing CFW?
Saiki

Post by Saiki »

announced and translated via GEN forums GEN 5.50-D3/GEN 5.03-C