Defrag your PSP question

Anything related to the PSP (homebrews, plugins, hacking, news,...) can go here
Saint

Defrag your PSP question

Post by Saint »

I was just curious if you could defrag a PSP with CFW without scewing up the flash.
Sony forums say it's possible but that is with OFW.
I was defragging other drives (with the normal windows defragger) while the psp was plugged in so i analyzed it and it was a total mess so that's why I asked, it should speed things up a bit again and such.

Never heared anybody talk about it before hence the question if anyone is familiar with it and what not.

Greetz,

Saint.
"The bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame." - Ripley Scrowle, Elias Ashmole's Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum - 1652
Disturbed.1.93

Re: Defrag your PSP question

Post by Disturbed.1.93 »

Well what i would do (I'm currently using linux so i cant do what your asking) is use hellcats recovery flasher to backup your flash, or just copy your flash over to your hard drive, wither way create a backup on your computer just in case, then try it, if it ruins it you have a backup, ahhh the beauty of CFW
Saint

Post by Saint »

Yeah I thought of doing that but well if someone has experience with it it would save atleast 5 min of time lol :P that's why i asked, if it doesen't do any harm I won't have to bother backing up ;)
"The bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame." - Ripley Scrowle, Elias Ashmole's Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum - 1652
leungclj

Post by leungclj »

defragging flash? =/
not sure if that is anywhere similar to SSD, but defragging is only useful on conventional hard disk with moving part (mechanically) whereas flash/SSD has instant access to files (digitally), so defrag will most likey not help speeding up files access time.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

I agree with leungclj here...defragging is just needed for the FAT filesystem, I don't think it makes any sense on the PSP flash memory...
Saint

Post by Saint »

That's actually what I thought but Windows keeps saying it needs to be defragged (bunch of red fragmentation in the display pic blablabla) thought it was worthless.. but anyways it was worth to ask since it seemed pretty strange to me that it detects a PSP and wants to defraggle it lol.

Anyways Gracias for the feedback, i didn´t do it anyways I was just curious if it would make ANY difference at all.

Btw one thing dissagree about it that you only need to defag FAT drives (btw my psp is fat32, just saying lol), i´ve seen major improvements defragging NTFS systems aswell but i guess that´s just one of them discussions like `Is the Guttman Wipe methode still usefull` and such sorts lol.
leungclj

Post by leungclj »

i have never heard the format of a system would make any difference in terms of defrag or not.
the only different it will make if you defrag flash/solid state memory is reduce their life time. (but not noticeable)
I doubt window understand the difference between and HDD or SSD/flash, so just ignore their "advice" for defrag.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Saint

Post by Saint »

Myeah your right i figured it was pretty pointless so that's why i didn't do it but had to ask if someone had experience with it and if it was usefull at all.
Think your right though Windows just sees storage drives, it doesen't check if it's a HDD or a SD, USB stick whatnot.

Well thanks for the feedback guys :)