Wagic - Game Crash at Startup

Do not post feature requests here, please.
Before posting bugs report check the Image Bug reporting help & guidelines
Forum rules
Do not post Features/Improvments request here (i.e : AI being stupid is not a bug, not being able to do a mulligan is not a bug, etc..etc..)
Before posting, please read the Bugs reporting guideline

Wagic - Game Crash at Startup

Postby wololo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:36 am

Advertising
I've received enough reports of the game crashing at startup to create this sticky. This will give you a few methods to try if Wagic refuses to start on your PSP:

Symptoms: Crash at startup is one of the following:
- When you run Wagic, you only get a black screen, and the PSP turns of after a few seconds
or
- When you run Wagic, the game crashes while loading SETS and before the menu screen
or
- When you run Wagic, the game crashes on the menu screen, sometimes showing a message "This is an alpha version [...] press circle to continue[...]"

If Wagic crashes at startup, try the following steps:
- Download the latest version from the download page, erase any previous version of Wagic you had on your memory stick, and make a fresh install again.
- If this doesn’t help, try to remove “Res/sound/track0.mp3? and “Res/sound/track1.mp3?, then run the game again
- If this didn’t help, try to run the game from IRShell. People have reported success with this method.

Please post success/failures/methods in this thread, thanks
wololo
Site Admin

Re: Wagic - Game Crash at Startup

Postby Saiki » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:40 am

a few more things that might help:

if on XP defrag your stick (yes, I know, tedious, but it works sometimes)
run a disc check on the stick

(if these don't help..)

copy everything from your stick and reformat it from your PSP (backup anything important)
Saiki

Postby jeth » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:33 am

yesterday i said that i was able to run wth thru ir-shell, but i soon realized that it was just a lucky start-up because the i launched the game, again it crashed while loading the sets.. so i did what wololo suggested, i removed the mp3 files.. that pretty much solved the problem.. thanks..
jeth

Postby abrasax » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:54 am

Hi,

So I tryed and tryed to reproduce the bug:
- exiting the game with the home button in all possible situation did not reproduce the bug (but I managed to erase the collection.dat by exiting the game while wagic was saving a custom deck... :D)
- going off/on did not reproduced the bug.

But without any reason the bug happend again... so I tried irfree again it did not work... so I looked at my last action and what I did before the crash happend... The only thing I did was adding some token cards picture to the different set.... So I thought in the first place it was linked to some memory issue, so I deleted some unnoficial set (ALL and ANT but let DAR since I was still working on this one)... did not work neither.... So i began to download some unused files a kept (copy of collection dat some old text file and so on) without success.... Then I deleted the thumb.db that windows was creating in the root folder of the set folder... and it worked...

I did not touch to the mp3, I have some custome one at the moment in my wagic folder...

I still don't know what is causing the bug, and I'm still unable to reproduce it at the moment... but I don't give up... and will keep inform if I got any news...

Grüssi

Abra
We need your Help !!!
New to wagic ? Be sure to check the following :

Bug report: Bug reporting
Help us: Add cards & Compiling.
Customize: Themes FAQ, All images thread, Abra's Mediafire folder
abrasax

Postby belux » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:05 am

Hi,
this is my first post, so first of all, I'd like to thank wololo for his great work, and also the people who are helping him to improve this magnificent homebreew!
You're great!

Then, returning in topic I'd like an explanation about the issue: "When you run Wagic, the game crashes while loading SETS..."
This problem is correlate to the previous limit of 4000 cards in database? If yes, it should be removed in version 0.7.1, right?
Because if I run wagic 0.7.1 with only the "official sets" it works fine...
if I run wagic 0.7.1 with the "official sets" plus all the others "non official sets" it doesn't work...
if I run wagic 0.7.1 with the "official sets" plus some (but not all) of the others "non official sets" it works fine...
Thanks to all for the attention ;)
belux

Postby Dr.Solomat » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Then someone should test every non-official set alone! We should get the error by this!
Sets Coded/Released: Legends, Visions, Weatherlight, Tempest, Stronghold, Portal I & III, Urza's Saga BLOCK, Mercadian Masques, Invasion BLOCK, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Guildpact, Conflux, Alara Reborn
Dr.Solomat

Postby belux » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Dr.Solomat wrote:Then someone should test every non-official set alone! We should get the error by this!

no, each set works fine, is the total amount of the cards that crash the game while loading sets :!:
so I have to choose every time which set I should esclude :cry: (I want them all :lol: )
belux

Postby NyghtcrawleR » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 pm

Dr.Solomat wrote:Then someone should test every non-official set alone! We should get the error by this!

Wasnt gdpsp getting the error with just a fresh install? If that was the case, then card count or sets dont seem to be the cause...at least not in that case.
"Real Magic" Graphic Mod & Image sets: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=318
NyghtcrawleR

Postby babalonius » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:24 pm

I was able to bypass the start up crash by running Wagic through iR shell 4.9 and making the cpu speed 333mhz and removing the track0 and track1 files, I have 40 sets with a 2850 card database if it helps. I'm running 5.00 M33-6, and I noticed that when I use the real Magic theme and remove the "hanging W" image, there is a crash so I kept that file and the real Magic theme files and so far the game is booting fine. The game wont start from the regular XMB though. Hope this helps!
babalonius

Postby belux » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm

Okay, I've done several tests, the results are:
1) wagic with half sets, 29 random (official + non official = 58 sets): WORKS FINE
2) wagic with the second half of the sets, the others 29: WORKS FINE
so this means that ALL the sets are playable. Then...
3) wagic with full sets, official + non official = 58 sets: NOT WORKING
the total amount of the sets and/or cards crashes the game, which freezes on the black screen where are scrolling the name of the sets. I removed the name of the set displayed on the frozen screen, I ran the game but it frozen again. I repeated myself removing the displayed frozen set (8 times) until it didn't frozen anymore but on the other hand I received the "alpha version" bug message, so the PSP crashed. I rebooted it, I launched again wagic and it WORKED FINE with 3537 cards in database.
Any ideas?
:?
belux

Advertising

Next

Return to Bug reports