MTG Storyline - 01 - The Brothers' War - V1.7 - WTH 0.13.1

A place to find all custom made campaigns, mods and to discuss the story mode and how to create mods.
abrasax

MTG Storyline - 01 - The Brothers' War - V1.7 - WTH 0.13.1

Post by abrasax »

Hi,

Also long annonced, long delayed.... here is the first campaign of the MTG storyline : "the Brother's war".... this explained the war between urza and mishra, that lead to the catastrophic event causing Urza to become a planeswalker and bringing the dark and the ice-age to Dominaria. This is also the first encounter of Urza with Phyrexia, that would follow an epic story to be followed in Urza's saga, destiny, legacy, prophecy, planechase, homeland, invasion,etc...etc....

Download V1.6 (3.5 MB) : http://www.mediafire.com/?71h1mybud9a32zk
(mirror) : http://www.sendspace.com/file/p2sdny
(mirror) : http://npshare.de/files/3a1849d8/Brothe ... 20V1.6.zip

UPDATE: Here is a small update of this campaign, it include new reward screen (New feature from WTH 0.13.1) and also different music throughout the game (also a new feature from WTH 0.13.1), I only made the first 10 chapters (with optimized graphics and text) and decided to make a break because it's bringing the PSP to its limit... So I don't encourage you to use this version for now, its more for testing purpose for the developpers. Anyway here is the link:
Download V1.7 (40.32 MB) : http://www.mediafire.com/?r2jdz9949fd58p7
I will try to continue this update as far as I can, but cannot promise anything since it's taking a lot of time and I'm kinda busy atm...

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

At the beginning I wanted to make it kind of "short", but then everything went wrong... I've gone crazy on this one.... I hope this will show all users of the forum the possibility behind the campaign mode and that we will have a lot of user submission.

This campaign is mainly based on the "antiquities" set and ultimatively end with Urza's saga (also the encounter in argoth)... There is a lot of text (from the book), a lot of graphics (from the different MTG comics book). The story follows the book "the brothers'war" by Jeff grubb and is as well organized in chapter and part. Naturally I had to adapt a lot of thing this campaign resume 538 pages of the book ... so some details are naturally missing. ...

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

What's new:

I've renamed the current campaign to "Brothers War" and not "Brothers Wars" so it might lead to incompatibilities between old version and this one... if you want to continue at the stage you where edit your data.dat in your player folder and remove the "s".

- Redid the challenge in the cave of Koilo.
- Added the prologue.
- Removed the bird of paradise in the roc challenge and replaced to a more flavored one...adn replace the spider to an artifact creature.
- rewrote the first two chapters to be even more close to the story (Chapter 3 and 4 are now the only one to be extremely summarized)
- added a challenge to the first chapter, .
- Redid some of the graphics and dialog screen.
- Added all the bonus screen + a preview of the next book in the storyline... unfortunately I don't have this one... not sure it's still printed...

Challenge/Duels:
There is only few real duels in the game, all other are "challenges", it means you need to perform specific actions in order to win the game. Each of this duel follow the story and use (as much as possible) the cards that correspond to the story.

There is very few hint or indications on how to do the challenge, some are easy, some are difficult, in any case you need to be carefull on the suite of your actions, especially with mana usage and also think about looking at "all" the cards in "all" the zone... The more you advance in the game the more you will have to think "out of the box" some actions will create token of cards... some cards are dummy that doesn't help you in the challenge at all...

Some of the duels are not thought to be won, so don't wonder if there is sometime impossible tasks....If you see a screen with "you' ve been defeated" then that mean you should have "won" the duel...else the story will continue.

Some of the dialog could be put in branched story, in the form of a "monkey island" dialogue, but that would be for the next steps..

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Rewards:
There is currently only 1 reward of 10.000 credits in doing this campaign, this is volontary. Since rewards are currently very poorly developped, my goal will be to give a "card" at the end of each chapter and to give a little explanation about the cards, especially for the artifacts where it was not fully possible to developp, like the staff of zegon created by Ashnod....
then at the end of each part a set (ATQ,RV,USG) + some credits
I also wanted to give some "vanguard" cards, as this story is particularly adapted for this kind of bonus (at least you have urza,mishra,tawnos,ashnod and gix)

Some Trivia:
Normally the roc is not killed during the first encountered but once at the same time as the su-chi by escaping koilo's cave, Urza use the stone on a mechanical spider artifact.
During the challenge of the warlord, urza is using his "avenger" (Urza's avenger) to move the "jade monolith", both cards are not coded, they are replaced by substitution.
During the siege of zegon, mishra create the battling ram, those have been removed of wagic because banding is not supported anymore.
Sharaman was a Lieutnant and not a sergeant, but in the comics Urza call the soldier "sergeant".
Richlau is totally absent from the game, this secondary characters is first one of the student of tocasia (as loran is) and later became the director of Urza's school i argive, when he died urza found the correspondance he had with Loran (while she was in the ivory tower with the union) and discover the existence of Mana....
Normally the brothers do not play scissor paper stone but flip a coin to decide who fly the first the ornithopter

Bugs.

Gemstone Array has a bug so you need to correct it before you can solve the last challenge of chapter 25.

Here is the corrected code for this card.

Code: Select all

[card]
name=Gemstone Array
auto={2}:counter(0/0,1,Charge)
auto={C(0/0,-1,Charge)}:add{W}
auto={C(0/0,-1,Charge)}:add{U}
auto={C(0/0,-1,Charge)}:add{B}
auto={C(0/0,-1,Charge)}:add{R}
auto={C(0/0,-1,Charge)}:add{G}
text={2}: Put a charge counter on Gemstone Array. -- Remove a charge counter from Gemstone Array: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
mana={4}
type=Artifact
[/card]
In Chapter 4, during the fight of the machines, the duel has been reported not to function properly on PSP. If you loose this duel you can choose "skip" to get to the next chapter.
In Chapter 32, when you win the challenge the game crash, here as well you will find a screen with "skip" if you loose this duel.

TODO
- Redesign the challenge that you cannot win, to some that you need to win by changing the side you are playing with (e.g. playing misha in the battle of Kroog, playing ashnod in the battle of tomakul, playing korlisian forces against ashnod in the battle of korlis...)
- Implement some branched dialog (i.e. the first encounter scene between Ashnod and Mishra is particularly adapted to branched dialogs)
- Add some explanation to some location in the map.
- Add other rewards as soon as these are implemented.

Comments/Suggestion

- The storyline of magic is beginning much earlier, there is book before the brothers' war called "the Thran" but this is not related to any particular set. more info about the story line here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirari
- the next episode would be a mix betweeen the beginning of urza's saga and the dark until approx 300 AR,
- then comes ICE-Age together with Alliances + coldsnap. A
- Afterwards comes the whole urza story again, there is 12 books on the urza/phyrexia battle story and all sets from Mirage, Tempest, Masques, Urza and Invasion (also all together 15 sets...that's an epic story to tell...)
- After comes the history of Kamahl in Odissey block that is continuing in Onslaught block
All the other block are individual story to tell... that's an easier part... the Urza's story is naturally the biggest challenge because it's an epic story spread over a lot of different book and sets... jumping from different plane to different continent going back and forth in the history...

Do not hesitate to post your comments and suggestions, as well as any Typo you might find, I'm not native englich speaker so I might have done one or two mistake...

Enjoy,

Abra

ARCHIVE do not Download it's only for me to keep track:
V1.5: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zh5i6q
1.4: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xwfb0c
We need your Help !!!
New to wagic ? Be sure to check the following :

Bug report: Bug reporting
Help us: Add cards & Compiling.
Customize: Themes FAQ, All images thread, Abra's Mediafire folder
Saint

Re: MTG Storyline - 01 - The Brothers' War - V1.0 - WIP (16/35)

Post by Saint »

*Thumbs up* Abra, sounds awesome, i'll check it out tomorrow, one thing though didn't the novel line start earlier though? I remember reading MTG Arena or something in the time of Weatherlight and Magic wasen't that hot over here back then (the cards were sold at a few places but that was kind of it and a tiny fair once every half year or so), so i'm not sure if there are books dated before The brothers' war but well you could check it out if you think it's worth to bother :P

Greetz,

Saint.
"The bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame." - Ripley Scrowle, Elias Ashmole's Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum - 1652
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

Hi,

you are rigth there is one novel called "the thran" (even if it was wrotten later), this one is the "pre-historical" one...but as far as I know it is not related to any particular sets. The earlier set "arabian night" is a kind of work-alone set... it is set up in the plane of Rabiah.. In my Idea of a campaign I wanted it to be the Campaign "0" kind of tutorial thing if you see what I mean, there is a comic book (in fact 2) about arabian night, so it should not be so difficult to do... the Whole story with urza and mishra is kind of the central one in magic, as it involve a lot of other sets, and spread from 0 AR (the date of birth of the brother) to 4000 AR....For info the brothers' war goes from 0AR to 64AR and is officially the "beginning" of the history in magic...

Grü

Abra
We need your Help !!!

Saint

Post by Saint »

Yeah your right, the first books were kind of none set related, the "Arena" book I read had some characters in it but they didn't come back in any set. The only relation it had to the game was that there were the 5 factions at that point (red, blue, etc.), artifact would be the 6th faction by now since there are alot of artifact based creatures etc.

It would be great if you kept to the real story line though because there are a ton of books I haven't read (simply because they weren't for sale here... and to start of reading from Invasion is kind of jumping in the middle of a game so I decided not to do that until I could buy someone's full collection on ebay or something), i have read all the short stories that come with the fatpacks (and from books other people carried with them to a fair or something) though so i'm a little bit up to date if it comes to the storyline and i know about the mishra/urza struggle but have no clue what it was about to be honest haha.
Would love to get the basic story facts together thru the campaigns (wich will be easy if you stick to the storyline :) ).

But about the previous books well at the arabian nights period WoTC had no idea if they would even make enough money to keep the company up lol (just look at Dungeons and Dragons that went great for a while then they went "bye bye" and WoTC bought the concept a few years ago and now the game starting to spread more then it did before) so the books are pretty much unrelated to a "from the beginning to the end" storyline like they are using now.

After the Mishra/Urza struggle you have alot of other stories though, lets just give an example for the latest "planeswalker" storylines (the comic books kinda suck if you ask me but the books are pretty good, atleast the chapters i read were).

Oh well the storymode will only get better and better just as the game does :) (I'm waiting for CGI options until i start writing my storylines, first of all i can cheat a bit and read some other stories to get the feel of writing them and second of all i want to start of with a Final Fantasy Full mod (no magic cards, no in game magic art just fully customized), full campaign, couple of cardsets (already created and yet to be created) and advancing thru all the games, mixing it up a bit and well I got tons of ideas but that's totally offtopic haha).

Anyways keep up the good work :D

Greetz,

Saint.
"The bird of the Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame." - Ripley Scrowle, Elias Ashmole's Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum - 1652
belux

Post by belux »

Okay, this story mode is fantastic!
I'like a lot the challenge mode where the win of a game is related to a strategy of play (i.e. killing the Roc in chapter 3 was amazing!)
Now I'm stucked in chapter four, I've tried everything but nothing worked:
-I try to do nothing: I fail
-I play weakstone in my 1st main phase, I survive an attack then I die in the second one
-I play weakstone in my 2st main phase, I survive an attack then I die in the second one
-I play mightstone in my 1st main phase, I die in the next attack
-I play mightstone in my 2st main phase, I die in the next attack
-I play weakstone in my 1st main phase, I survive an attack then I play mightstone in the 1st main phase of the second turn, then I die in the second attack
-I play weakstone in my 2st main phase, I survive an attack then I play mightstone in the 1st main phase of the second turn, then I die in the second attack
-The opponent never activates the Gate of Phyrexia, so he never sacrificea a Su-Chi to destroy another artifact (mine or its), he continues attacking mercyless
-I damege myself one time with Caves of Koilos to have 12 point life, so that in the next attack, after I play weakstone, the opponent reduces me to 0 point life exactly, nothing happens

I'don't want the solution of the quest !!!!!
The only thing I want to know is if there is a bug, if the wip stops here for the moment so I must attenf for next releases, or if I simply miss the correct strategy...
Thanks guys and great job!!!
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

Ok sorry to hear that... I just tested this challenge, and at least one of the strategy you are mentionning should work... at least it works for me... I tested on PC not on PSP that condition be the issue... It's an easy challenge normally...

The opponent should not get a 2d attack phase....that should not be possible according to the way I've coded it....So I don't understand what the issue might be....Or Are you playing with a modded Eboot or template ? (also not the official WTH 0.12.1)...maybe with the pass phase automation mode from almosthumane ???

The story should go up to chapter 16... and should be playable until this stage.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the "roc" challenge... that's maybe the most complex one... I had a very twisted mindset when I designed this one, and this is one of my favorite one too...Did you manage to solve it in the first time or did you need more than one try for this one ?

Also the first challenge at tocasia camp can be tricky too... it's also a matter of chance... because you can have the right card in the first round... or not...

If you are really stuck here... edit your data.dat in your player folder and replace the line:
s Brothers Wars=duel_machine
by
s Brothers Wars=machines_win

that should bring you directly to the next screen...

Thanks for your feedback... I'm currently at chapter 19, but in fact 17 and 18 are only text chapter....

Enjoy,

Abra
We need your Help !!!

belux

Post by belux »

Thanks for the quickly reply, abrasax!
I played the story mode both on psp and pc, but nothing changed...
The wagic I play has the original eboot, the modding relates the font, the official images, the sfxs and so on, but to be sure, reading your point I played the original wagic without changing anything, simply and plain just like downloaded from the site... but nothing changed again.
I finally edited the data line, now I will continue hoping to not have more problems!

PS:
-for the roc quest I solved it the second time (I'm an old magic player, from the italian edition revised black bord, so I perceived the mechanism quickly);
-I resolved the challenge at tocasia camp the first time, but my purpose was to kill the opponent, so I managed to reduce him to 37 point life (I had 1 point life left) with 2 Prodigal Sorcerer, 1 original and 1 cloned... so I played a lot of turns until the unexpected happened (you know wath I'm talking about) and I won

Okay, new issue, new problem:
I'm playing chapter 14 (night Moves)
I win against my brother, the game give me the option DURING THE GAME "win game", but when the phase goes on instead of the next issue appears this black screen in which is written:

chapter 14 - night Moves - END
you have been defeated!
Go back to chapter 13 <--- this in yellow

so, a part the fact that I won, even if the "go back to ch13" is enlighted even if I press the move button nothing happens. Even if I exit the story mode and re-enter the black screen reappears. So this time I'm stucked here, eh eh...

abrasax, I'm doing a testing job :lol:
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

Hi,

Well I did a little mistake in the loose screen of this chapter.... the "wingame" is normal... in this case it's because there is an "opponent" wingame conditions... that's mean the opponent win the game...

To go to next chapter edit your data.dat and put:

s Brothers Wars=night_win

or if you want to retry the challenge:

s Brothers Wars=night_moves

You are not far from the end of the WIP... I've corrected the mistake (also there was also mistake in chapter 14 preventing the images to display correctly) in my working copy... I'm currently having an issue with a duel crashing the game at chapter 18... so i'm gonna have to find a solution....

I will probably post an update by tommorow.... but with only 3 or 4 additional chapters...

thanks for the testing.

Abra
We need your Help !!!

Saint

Post by Saint »

Ok i'm at chapter 3, Koilos, i'm stuck xD i tried milling his deck of 5 cards to zero, wich should be a Win because he can't draw anymore cards, Doesen't work.

I tried Breaking both of his artifacts (getting the bury card back with regrowth) and boosting my BoP but that just ends you up with a 1/2 creature vs a 3/3 creature.

I tried putting a -1/-1 counter on him while i destoryed his +1/+1 red creature artifact and boosting my BoP to 1/2 wich should make his creature 1/1 but you can't because your stuck with the Protection from red from the other artifact...

Checked the deck with the black cards in your hand but those are pointless (since there is nothing usefull in the deck).

Sorry i might totally miss the strategy but it think it just doesen't work... please clear that one up for me if you can lol :P

Oh and btw I found some Minor spelling errors, in the introduction of Mishra and Urza it says "Two brother who" or something like that it should be "Two Brothers", and another is "defat the roc" wich should be "Defeat the Roc" :P

Looks good though,

Greetz,

Saint.
abrasax

Post by abrasax »

Well,

As you can see belux did the challenge, so it is possible to solve it....This challenge does not include the mtg rule, so you and your opponent don't draw any cards, therefore he will not die if you mill him completly.

I'm happy to see the challenge are difficult enough to give you headache....I will not give you the solution of this challenge, since it will spoil everything....If you really can't stand it, I could write a small guide on how to solve this one... but will do it by MP...

Some "hint" you need to get a creature that can block the roc.....and you need to pump it.... you need also to reduce the toughness of the roc, but to do so you need to remove the "protection from red" of the roc... The only way to solve this challenge is by blocking the roc with a creature that can kill him.... the trivia I posted about the "missing" creatures the brothers are supposed to use will give you a hint about which creature you need to get...

In the meantime you can edit your "data.dat" in your player folder and replace the "duel_roc" by "roc_win" that will bring you to the next chapter... ;)

I'm currently at chapter 26.... I've designed some other nifty challenge, although I must say the "roc" challenge is probably the most pervert....

Ah and thanks for the typo...

Grü

Abra
We need your Help !!!