[Suggestion] Quests/Tasks

Suggestion about adding, unlockable, tasks, rewards and credits to the game.
Daddy32

Re: [Suggestion] Quests/Tasks

Post by Daddy32 »

Szei wrote:...pressed 'esc' (on computer, I wanted to check if it worked before I put it on my psp). I didn't see a 'get tasks' option...
Display of the item is not conditional, so it should be visible whenever other menu items are...
Szei wrote: Also, why is the eboot you provided so much smaller than the 0.9.1 eboot?
So it's faster to download :) Actually, I've posted my custom version, in which I was experimenting with removing various resources to try to find the reason of extremely long game starting under the GEN firmware (no luck yet); also, as Wololo pointed out, it was compiled with different optimization settings.
flad_nag wrote:The bug i mentioned above is only true when AI deck has only 2 decks present. That is because i disable deck3 ai as I am hunting bugs using randomly generated deck1 and deck2.
I will have to look into this - the code should behave gracefully even under the extreme circumstances - and I'm likely to believe that increasing the number of decks did only reduce the probability of the crash, and did not eliminate it.
flad_nag wrote:so are the tasks randomly generated by the program? or is there a specific list?
There is a fixed list of task templates (which are hard-coded, but easy to add - each of them requires around 60 lines of code), with their parameters generated randomly and rewards calculated based upon them. I may post the parameters' ranges and rewards calculations if anyone is interested in examining them.
flad_nag wrote:I think there should be at least 1 task available already.
I will yet have to decide this - I want to keep the number of the tasks small at the beginning and increase it later, so the user is not spammed. But yes, it should be non-zero most of the time.

So, did anyone manage to try the actual functionality yet?
bcdiscman

Post by bcdiscman »

This looks great. Anything that keeps the game interesting should always be promoted & your hard work is greatly appreciated. :D
ImageImageImageImage
BCdiscman
Daddy32

Post by Daddy32 »

v0.2

- One more task type (fast win)
- Fixed crash
- Fixed fonts
- Tweaked task difficulty, expiration and rewards

See first post for download.
flad_nag

Post by flad_nag »

hi daddy32, may i ask the svn version of the latest eboot/exe that u made?.. thanks!
Daddy32

Post by Daddy32 »

flad_nag wrote:hi daddy32, may i ask the svn version of the latest eboot/exe that u made?.. thanks!
If you mean sources, I've added them to the first post.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

I only had a few minutes to test it so I didn't have the possibility to fulfill a task yet, but I hope you will put it into the SVN sooner than later :)
A few comments/questions:

- Going to the shop the first time didn't give me any quest. I assume this occurs, and it is probably alright, but in that case we should show a message saying: "No quests for now, please come back later".
- closing the tasks list with Circle will also click on circle on the card behind it, showing the "yes/no" message to buy it. We might want to NOT send the key events to layers under the tasks list when it is open

Question: When a task says "1 day remaining", does it actually count "real life" days? That's pretty cool...what if you quit the game and come back 2 days later, is the quest gone? (which is perfectly fine, just asking out of curiosity)
Jeck

Post by Jeck »

Hey, I've also only got a few minutes, but I very much like what you've done. I've just recently added a trophy room to svn, and think that it would be really cool if we collaborated on some quest related trophies. If you're ever on google chat, or feel like sending me an email, that'd be really cool. I'm not on the forums here that often, but you can reach me here as well.

Keep up the awesome work :)
Daddy32

Post by Daddy32 »

wololo wrote:I hope you will put it into the SVN sooner than later :)
I was hoping for some tweaking before submitting it, but I currently lack confidence due to the lack of testing and feedback.
wololo wrote:- Going to the shop the first time didn't give me any quest. I assume this occurs, and it is probably alright, but in that case we should show a message saying: "No quests for now, please come back later".
Message added.
wololo wrote:- closing the tasks list with Circle will also click on circle on the card behind it, showing the "yes/no" message to buy it. We might want to NOT send the key events to layers under the tasks list when it is open
Will fix. I kept the event fall back to have the menu available for cheap :)
wololo wrote:Question: When a task says "1 day remaining", does it actually count "real life" days? That's pretty cool...what if you quit the game and come back 2 days later, is the quest gone? (which is perfectly fine, just asking out of curiosity)
Actually, no. 'Day' refers to the passing of single game - so the tasks are refreshed after each duel. If you think it would be cooler to tie them to the real days, it can easily be done. (it would slower the pace of questing, but prevent grinding)
Daddy32

Post by Daddy32 »

Jeck wrote:If you're ever on google chat...
I'll try to be available whenever I'll have time. (d32.wagic, sent you an invite)
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

Daddy32 wrote:I was hoping for some tweaking before submitting it, but I currently lack confidence due to the lack of testing and feedback.
I think the current lack of feedback is due to most developers having their plates rather full at the moment (and non-developers often being reluctant to obtain "beta" code and test it).

I would *love* to test this feature, but I don't think I'll find time for it during the next week. However, this does definitely *not* mean that there's no interest in the feature, on the contrary.
Daddy32 wrote:Actually, no. 'Day' refers to the passing of single game - so the tasks are refreshed after each duel. If you think it would be cooler to tie them to the real days, it can easily be done. (it would slower the pace of questing, but prevent grinding)
Personally I'd prefer it the way it is now. In other games which use such real-time mechanics, I often find myself frustrated when my real-word time schedule interferes with my chances to successfully solve a quest in a game. However, many games do use a real-time schedule (mostly online multiplayer games though), so it's probably just a matter of preference.