Online Mode!

Suggestion about new game mode (campaign, EDH, etc...)
bcdiscman

Re: Online Mode!

Post by bcdiscman »

wololo wrote:The main problem for me right now is not the difficulty, but boredom.
Coding a network library is something I really hate to do. I love to code stuff and see the results directly. When I add a new card, I can see it working.
a Network library is weeks of work for no visible result. I'm also not motivated by the fact that I will never use a network game myself, considering I now absolutely nobody in my neighborhood who's into Magic or the PSP...

So, yeah :|
Would you do it if I promised to move close to you? i already live in Indiana, Japan isn't that far from here...I might be able to commute to work. LOL :D
ImageImageImageImage
BCdiscman
Elfo

Post by Elfo »

Just a question to wololo:

As you told, network is boring to do but seems possible. Well, you told that you dont have anyone to play, etc...

So, it is POSSIBLE (technically) to add an infrastructure mode, with online server? Or that is dream too much?

So you can play with all ppl on forum, make tournaments, etc =P
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Elfo wrote: So, it is POSSIBLE (technically) to add an infrastructure mode, with online server? Or that is dream too much?
It is technically possible, but before that I will focus on "two people on the same network".
Also, an online server might be technically possible, but probably not financially in the current state.
Elfo

Post by Elfo »

Nice, at least i can keep dreaming :lol:

You think the game would need a dedicated server? If anyone could host a server, money wouldnt be much of a problem
TioSolid

Post by TioSolid »

I think that the best approach for an online "server" mode is dedicated servers. Somebody codes the server and anyone can host tournaments and duels (as far as he can host the dedicated, of course).
mickey_brown

Post by mickey_brown »

wololo wrote:The main problem for me right now is not the difficulty, but boredom.
Coding a network library is something I really hate to do. I love to code stuff and see the results directly. When I add a new card, I can see it working.
a Network library is weeks of work for no visible result. I'm also not motivated by the fact that I will never use a network game myself, considering I now absolutely nobody in my neighborhood who's into Magic or the PSP...

So, yeah :|
There are programs for pc (and a free one is out for PS3 now) that allow you to play ad hoc games over the net.
So you could play against any of us. :D
Xitoshi

Post by Xitoshi »

The main difificult is that network (or adhoc) mode have a lot of problems hard to see at a first look. For example:

The first and worst of all is that is needed an "standard card database", because
a) is too easy to hack oneself database to make unbalanced cards (just imagine an 20/20, cost 1 and with haste and trample :roll: )
b) what if the same card in two databases are different?
c) what if one player has a card that is not in the other player database?

Another problem is that the engine works different in different releases, and this is difficult to solve because everybody can change his own code.
Sorry about my poor english; I try my best, but it seems to be insufficient V_Vu
ProtoJazz

Post by ProtoJazz »

Xitoshi wrote:The main difificult is that network (or adhoc) mode have a lot of problems hard to see at a first look. For example:

The first and worst of all is that is needed an "standard card database", because
a) is too easy to hack oneself database to make unbalanced cards (just imagine an 20/20, cost 1 and with haste and trample :roll: )
b) what if the same card in two databases are different?
c) what if one player has a card that is not in the other player database?

Another problem is that the engine works different in different releases, and this is difficult to solve because everybody can change his own code.

First one is easy, some one pulls out a 20/20 for 1 with hase and trample, he gets punched in the ***. Problem solved

The other one. Dont know, maybe force an update?

Theres a game called scroll rack, It has no rules knowlage, and it asks the other players if this is a valid move, maybe something like that?
(signature was too big, removed by mods)
TioSolid

Post by TioSolid »

The client itself could enforce a verification until a server-side one is possible. One client could check the version of the connecting player, if its lower than yours, than refuse to play and send him a "message" saying that he has an old version. I think cards would be the most difficult one but its still possible if nobody hacks the game using Cwcheat for example
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

I'll be happy the day I can have two clients talk to each other :mrgreen: . I'll think about security checks after that.