HBL not loading on PAL(Ireland) PSP Go, N1003

This forum is locked, but kept for archiving purpose. If you want to discuss Half-Byte Loader or PSP homebrews, we now recommend our sister forum http://wololo.net/talk
Forum rules
Do not post requests/bug reports regarding versions of the HBL that you didn't download from wololo.net, I do not offer support for other people's versions, thanks!
Dara

HBL not loading on PAL(Ireland) PSP Go, N1003

Post by Dara »

Hi, I havn't been able to load the HBL, and I am pulling my hair out at this stage I have followed every tutorial, every help guide every read me file and I just can't get it to work, now if I was anyone else answering this question I would think I've done something wrong but I can't think of anything, I have gone over every tutorial about 5 times each and I am confident I have done pretty much everything.

I am at my wits end and am desperate for this thing to work, not even to run the emulators anymore but just so that all the time I've spent wasn't just for nothing!

I have a PSP go, bought in Ireland so its PAL, I have firmware 6.20, it's a N1003 I don't know if the new ones are different or not, but I have downloaded the game demo (patapon 2) and the cracked file and got them to work, it is the US version of the game so it's NTSC and it runs in my PAL console no problem, I get as far as the exploit, load the file press any button then press R and It freezes, and after about 20 seconds shuts it's self off and all the lights flash. Now I assumed thats the exploit? ok so then I downloaded your HBL(I've tried it with many different versions) and I put the h.bin zip and the hbl file in the root directory of the memory stick (I even went out to buy a memory stick because one tutorial said it doesn't work on the Go's internal memory) and I start up the game, load the file and press R and nothing. It just freezes, waits 20 seconds and shuts it's self off, constantly, just doesn't load anything and freezes at that point and turns itself off. No matter what I do

one thing I have noticed is sometimes when it freezes the orange light that tells you it is accessing the memory stick? sometimes it freezes with the light on, and sometimes it's off, but it's always off just before I press the R button, kinda wierd

the only kind of theory I could come up with was that maybe it's because it's an American demo on a EU console? that it just wouldn't work? but then I'm sure other EU ppl have got it to work because otherwise there would be info stating this? who knows...

Any help would be seriously appreciated though, This is pretty much a last resort. and I have to thank you wololo for even giving me the opportunity to do this stuff, you're a hero
wololo
Site Admin

Re: HBL not loading on PAL(Ireland) PSP Go, N1003

Post by wololo »

As far as I know internal memory works better than memory stick. The reports we got are the other way around (issues on the go running HBL from the memory stick). So try again, on the internal memory (I don't own a memory stick compatible with the psp go actually)

The freeze at startup is usually because you have the wrong savegame. We released 2 different savegames, and people got confused by that. An easy way to check is that if the "hello world" works for you: you have the wrong savegame.

The only thing I can suggest you is to download a "RTU" (ready to use) pack that contains everything in one file, so that you don't get confused with which files to put where.
There are also "easy installers" available all over the internet.

One last thing: 100% of the people who contacted me so far because of a "freeze when they press R" ended up realizing they weren't installing HBL correctly. That's why I'm suggesting you to use an easy installer if you can find one.

There is no problem with EU consoles as far as I know. M0skit0 got his PSPGo (6.20) in europe as well, and it is one of our test machines.

Hope this helps.
Dara

Post by Dara »

ok thank you so much, I know I know you must be right about installing it wrong I just couldn't think of ANYTHING at all i must have done that was wrong, the savegame file is interesting I'll try one of those all in one packs you talk about, and it's a relief to hear the region is not a problem, thanks for the support man I will get back to you after I try your suggestions, cheers :D
Dara

Post by Dara »

oh my god... your a legend... thank you, I am staring at my PSP's screen in awe... it worked... I moved everything to the internal memory, re downloaded the save game and the hbl files from your page and it worked, thank you so much!, you can chok me up as one of those helpless idiots who didn't know what the heck he was doing, thank you :lol:
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Glad to hear this!
By the way, don't consider yourself an "helpless idiot" for not installing it correctly the first time. We should be providing something more user-friendly in the first place, but this will come with time. right now we're focusing on core functionality, but at some point the code will stabilize and we will be providing more "error proof" packages :)

I just hope people with the same type of issue will find this thread ;)
Dara

Post by Dara »

ha well thanks bud, I was about to give up :D