Running Wagic with HBL

This forum is locked, but kept for archiving purpose. If you want to discuss Half-Byte Loader or PSP homebrews, we now recommend our sister forum http://wololo.net/talk
Forum rules
Do not post requests/bug reports regarding versions of the HBL that you didn't download from wololo.net, I do not offer support for other people's versions, thanks!
KF1

Running Wagic with HBL

Post by KF1 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:13 am

Thank you again for sharing this wololo. I thought this step by step of what I'm doing may help others.

I have a PSP3000 with OFW 6.20 and a 4GB Memory stick (3104 MB free) with no other custom games/firmware

Okay I downloaded:

1. hbl-r65-wololo I unzipped it and put it into the main folder (NOT the MP_ROOT folder) appears as hbl (folder) and "orange cone icon" h (.bin)

2. patapon2 demo (UCUS98734) put into PSP/GAME

3. WTH put into PSP/GAME (I removed ALL the MP3 files in WTH 0.11.1)

4. patapon2 demo save game exploit (UCUS98732_DATA02) put into PSP/SAVEDATA

5. Exit to PSP Menu

6. Scroll to Game / Memory Stick noting Patapon Demo and Wagic Icons.

7. Start up Patapon demo, I get system data not found message: "Do you want to create a new save file?" Click 'No.'

8. Next screen message: "Continue playing anyway?" Click 'Yes.'

9. Patapon demo opening credits/mini-intro movie/ then menu screen appears

10. Click 'Continue' and I get the following save game data: "2/11/2010 11:51 PM 224 KB Game data Mighty One: Wolo Adventure:-Wolo's Return Playtime: 00:07:13"

11. Click 'X'; "load completed" message appears

12. Click 'O' ; Hatapon's March screen appears

13. Push any button message appears I hit 'X'

14. I get an outdoor night time screen with two towers near the middle of the screen and in the upper right hand corner there is a flashing arrow to the left of an 'R' in a circle

15. I click the Right Trigger

16. I get the HBL green success message noting it's freeing up memory and I see yellow WTH letters and I click 'X' for WTH

17. I get: HBL Looping message and a system shut off... I got to the language selection screen once, and the Loading Primitives twice (stops at ZEN) LOL
Last edited by KF1 on Tue May 04, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

wololo
Site Admin

Re: Running Wagic with HBL

Post by wololo » Mon May 03, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks, this is interesting information and I split your message from the other one because it is a different topic.

I'll investigate. The version of Wagic I'm running is the one from the SVN, so it has a few differences that might be important.

KF1

Post by KF1 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:11 am

Time for me to call it a night... What's a test sceIDread anyway?

I haven't got past the Loading Primitives: ZEN screen yet, LOL.

I'm sure the next release of HBL and or WTH will be better for me.

Thank you Wolo and company

KF1

Post by KF1 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:23 pm

Okay, today I tried something slightly different.

I deleted a bunch of my God of War Chains of Olympus, and Star Wars Elite Squadron saved games on my memory stick.

I also answered 'Yes' to create a save game on Patapon 2 demo even though it only shows Wolo's save game exploit in the save game files. I don't think that makes any difference anyway.

I think that by having the Patapon 2 Demo access the memory stick on restarting the HBL makes some difference compared to my experience last night.

This evening I tried HBL:

1. Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash / powers off
2. Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash / powers off
3. Looping HBL Thread - crash / powers off
4. Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash / powers off
5. Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash / powers off
6. Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash / powers off
7. Red letters: "Unable to open GAME folder (syscall issue?) -> Using a cached version of the folders contents" - then black screen / powers off
8. Test SceIoDread - crash / powers off
9. Test SceIoDread - crash / powers off
10.Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash / powers off

Note: I got the Test SceloDread crash if I use the right toggle after I count 'one' flash of the arrow on the night time outdoor camp screen in Patapon 2...

Note: I got the Looping HBL Thread if I use the right toggle after I count 'three' flashes of the arrow on the night time outdoor camp screen in Patapon 2...

Note: I got the Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash if I use the right toggle after I count 'five' or more flashes of the arrow on the night time outdoor camp screen in Patapon 2...

I think this may be completely random and unrelated to the problem at hand with my copy of HBL...

I went back in and Deleted the Patapon 2 Demo game I made (not the Wolo save game exploit) and got to the HBL screen only to get:

2. Red letters: "Unable to open GAME folder (syscall issue?) -> Using a cached version of the folders contents" - then black screen / powers off
3. Red letters: "Unable to open GAME folder (syscall issue?) -> Using a cached version of the folders contents" - then black screen / powers off
4. Hangs at the yellow WTH and crashes
6. Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash / powers off
7. Test SceIoDread - crash / powers off
8. Test SceIoDread - crash / powers off
9. Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash / powers off
10. Looping HBL Thread - crash / powers off

I hope this testing information is helpful in some way...

Are there any OTHER non-PSP related files that should be removed from WTH 0.11.1 besides the MP3 files?

KF1

Post by KF1 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:37 am

Okay, I cleared off the memory stick (now I have 3688 MB free space) and reloaded hbl-r65-wololo (root folder not MP_Root), WTH 011.1(minus the three MP3 files) and Patapon 2 Demo and Wolo's save game exploit. No other games, music or video are saved on my PSP 3000 OFW 6.20.

I did select 'No' save a game at Patapon 2 start up and I got to HBL:

1. Crashed after HBL Thread message appeared.
2. Red letters: "Unable to open GAME folder (syscall issue?) -> Using a cached version of the folders contents" - then black screen / powers off
3. Red letters: "Unable to open GAME folder (syscall issue?) -> Using a cached version of the folders contents" - then black screen / powers off
4. Test SceIoDread - crash / powers off
5. Test SceIoDread - crash / powers off

I did select 'Yes' save a game at Patapon 2 start up and I got to HBL:

1. Red letters: "Unable to open GAME folder (syscall issue?) -> Using a cached version of the folders contents" - then black screen / powers off
2. I got to the language selection screen, I select English, I click 'O' and I crash (X and right trigger have no response at all)
3. Looping HBL Thread message and crash
4. Looping HBL Thread message and crash

Wasn't there an alternate BOOT file somewhere I can try?

wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo » Tue May 04, 2010 1:47 am

It seems you are not the only one with the issue, I need to work a bit more on this it seems :|

wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo » Wed May 05, 2010 2:26 am

ok, try to erase the file "exception.prx" and see if it solves the issue.

KF1

Post by KF1 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:06 am

wololo wrote:ok, try to erase the file "exception.prx" and see if it solves the issue.

I did that and I got:

1. Test SceIoDread - crash / powers off

I removed a Patapon 2 Demo saved game (not Wolo's save game exploit) and restarted:

1. Test SceIoDread - crash / powers off
3. Loading Primitives; Loading Set: Zen - crash / powers off

It seems to be more consistent now.

Are there any other non-essential files in the WTH folder that don't need to be on the PSP?

I tried again around lunch time and got:

3. Test SceIoDread - crash / powers off
5. Red letters: "Unable to open GAME folder (syscall issue?) -> Using a cached version of the folders contents" - then black screen / powers off

KF1

Post by KF1 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:29 am

Hmm...

Any recommendations for homebrew games that work for comparison to WTH under HBL?

I've tried Doom Legacy, PSPChess, a Starcraft clone and a couple of Mario Bros. homebrew games but no luck with them either. I am guessing this may be due to the fact that these programs were programmed several years ago for other OFW hacks, long before HBL came out.

NnySpade

Post by NnySpade » Sat May 08, 2010 1:46 am

Hello, this is my first post on these forums, but I've been keeping an eye on Wagic for a bit. I'm running a PSP 3000 with ofw 6.2, so as soon as the HBL was released in a state that Wagic could possibly run on it I downloaded it and began tinkering.

I tried the most current release of Wagic first, and got results very close to KF1's, except instead of locking up on "Loading: Zen" I kept locking up on "Loading: 10E". So I tried downloading and compiling the SVN version, to no avail. I also tried version 0.10.1 and version 0.9.1 from the official release page, with the exact same results.

Then I found some success. I downloaded the "Complete" Wagic Download (Version 0.9.2) from NyghtcrawleR's "Real Magic" Graphic Mod post. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=318

I deleted the sound files, and exception.prx as suggested, and whenever it gets to the point where it begins loading primitives, it doesn't hang anymore. I get alot of crashes, specifically when I try to alter my profile, or win a game, but it loads consistently, and it rocks that I can finally try out this awesome homebrew on my PSP. 8-)

Hope this helps, Good Luck to all!