Update: This thread is now obsolete. the android version is now part of our "normal" release cycle, for now you can get it here:
As you know by now, the wagic team has been working on an Android port of Wagic for a while.
The Wagic devs and myself have been receiving lots of contacts requesting an android binary, and so far we have declined the requests. There are two reasons for this: first, we believe the port is currently not in a really playable state (deck creation for example is not great), or at least not very intuitive. Second, we are working hard to bring Wagic to the android market, which involves lots of technical and legal problems that we are progressively solving.
That being said, some of the devs have convinced me to put a test binary up so that people can give it a try. I personally decided to put one condition to that: I want to know who's testing the game, so people have to request the binary to me personally. There is no limit to the number of testers, no "requirements" to qualify for the download, just send me a pm and you'll get the file. This is just for me to gauge interest and know who our testers are
Android 2.3 or higherDownload and install
1) Request the .apk (Android binary) file to me by PM (please give me a few days to reply, I can be very busy sometimes)
2) Install the .apk file on your android, for example using "Astro"
3) Get a Wagic mod such as Knights and Dragons
. A Wagic mod is usually made of a folder containing subfolders with the following names : ai, campaigns, graphics, lang, etc...
4) Extract the Wagic mod into /wagic/Res at the root of your Android sdcard. You will end up with wagic/Res/ai, wagic/Res/campaigns, etc...
5) start WagicImportant notes / Disclaimer
- We tested this application on our own devices and had no critical issue. Nevertheless, this game comes with no warranty, you run this at your own risk
- If somebody else than me gives you a Wagic binary for Android, do not install it. At best it's the same I am providing, at worst you will be installing a virus
- As a consequence of the request above, I am asking people to avoid sharing the binary publicly for now. I cannot legally prevent people from redistributing compiled versions of Wagic, but if things go bad we will consider going closed source to avoid future problems. Whether you enjoy the game or not, I am asking you to respect the 4 years of work I put into it.
- If you do not install any mod, Wagic will most likely crash, the binary on its own is not enough to run the game.F.A.Q
Q: This doesn't work/ it's too difficult, why does it require a rocket science degree to install the game?
A: This is a work in progress, we plan to make the install process way smoother in the weeks to come, please be patient if you don't want to go through the difficult installing process of this test version
Q: I got the binary to work, and found many issues, what do I do ?
A: please report your bugs and requests in this thread
Q: Great, it works, but that "Knights and Dragons" game sucks, I want to play something else
A: Wagic on android is compatible with all Wagic mods, if you find other mods you can install them
Q: This alpha is barely playable, I reported hundreds of bugs and you haven't fixed them, how long am I going to wait?
A: we are a very small team of devs working on wagic during our free time. If you have the skills to help, please contact me and join us, otherwise, please be patient
Q: Android is great, what about the iPhone and the iPad version?
A: If you're an iOS developer we'd love to hear from you. Currently our team is mostly made of people who dig Android, while we only have one iOS dev.