Please give some help!!

Problems compiling the game? Ask Here
paoZ

Please give some help!!

Post by paoZ »

Right, I have two questions.
Let me self introduce first. I am 13 years old and is on my school holidays and has limited knowledge of C++.
1. I started a new profile in Wagic and now I cannot play momir basic.(I know this doesn't belong here but the 2nd question does, so please read on.)
2. I want to start a Duel Masters(DM) mod of Wagic but I don't know how to do it. The mod is not just changing the themes and such but another game together.

This DM is another card game from WoTC. So it is relatively similar.
I noticed only a few differences that should be tweaked into the game engine (this is the part where I need help.)
1) All cards can provide mana. And not all creatures can attack or block(vice versa).
2) There is no Main Phase 2.
3) Less type(variety, too) of cards, and no instants. Spells and summons have to be done in main phase 1.
4) Creatures have no toughness, instead power and toughness are compiled into 1 single value.
5) Different keywords for similar things. Deathtouch(MTG) is similar to Slayer(DM).
6) No hand limit.
7) I think this is the last and the most difficult tweak to add. A shield zone (5cards) replaces the life counter.(Players are 1 hit KO) There are shield triggers(broken shields can be played for no cost) and shields are added to hands when broken.( unless special efx(s)).

I need ppl to help me or give advices on how to tweak these tweaks into the game engine.
I can make the decks myself, There are two different formats, credits to KP(kaijudoportal.com) and TCO(tradecardsonline.com) Which do you think os easoer tp adapt to the game?
Base set(from KP)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1CT2ZT5W

2nd set (from TCO)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KQ9KU2IR
Never mind if its a bit messy, I can make it up.(Was that the correct use?)
Or, if you are nicer, send me a file with the format required and show me!!

Oh and, What does DOS SHELL mean? And how to get it?
Yeshua

Re: Please give some help!!

Post by Yeshua »

A dos shell is the same as the windows command prompt. Unfortunatly your mod would require you to reprogram the game.
paoZ

Post by paoZ »

EEEP!
It seems that I would have to give up on the idea.
Maybe I can donate to make it work?
But Paypal requires a credit card(something like that) to make payments? (which would be impossible since im 13.)
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

1) Copy Player/momir.txt in your Profile/[yourprofile] folder, it should fix your issue

2) What you are trying to achieve is extremely difficult. If it was easy to tweak Wagic to create new games, there would already be a Yugioh or Pokemon mods...Nevertheless:

1) All cards can provide mana -> that's easy to do without code, just use _cards.dat. Not all creatures can attack or block... -> not sure what you mean, but there are cantattack and cantblock keywords in wagic that you can use for that.

2)No Main phase 2 -> impossible to change without changes in the code. But basically you can probably update the phaseRing so that it just doesn't add a Main phase 2 when it gets created. http://code.google.com/p/wagic/source/b ... ing.cpp#12

3)Not a problem if you manage to solve 2)

4)Impossible to do without rewriting the engine a lot. What you can do is set power and toughness to the same value for all cards. You can then probably tweak the display so that it only displays one of the 2 values

5)Use the MTG keywords in auto= and abilities= line. Use the DM keywords in the text=line
for example:
text=This Creature is a Slayer
abilities=deathoutch

6) You need to remove at least this block of code:
http://code.google.com/p/wagic/source/b ... er.cpp#121

7) No idea how to do that in a clean way

To summarize, the changes you want to do are quite huge and require lots of non trivial code changes. I would suggest that you first grab the sources from the SVN, and compile them. If/when you manage to do that, we'll see if you still have the motivation to tweak the game.

This is a nice project, but it sounds a bit difficult to me :|

PS: I don't work for money, so don't donate if you expect results. Plus I would feel very bad for taking money from a 13 years old kid. If Wagic is still around when you have a job, you can donate at that time :)
paoZ

Post by paoZ »

I read the compiling guide, but im not sure what it achieves. It seems to be just rebuilding the code by the compiler after clearing it away, with the same thing as the result, or can we actually edit some codes?
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

well, of course you can edit the code, that's the whole point. You edit the cpp files with a text editor (or Visual studio, actually), then compile...

When you say "limited knowledge of C++", do you actually have any knowledge at all about programming? C++ is quite difficult if you're just beginning in the programming world (I'm assuming you don't have a huge experience in programming given your age, I could be wrong so no offense intended)
paoZ

Post by paoZ »

1) Copy Player/momir.txt in your Profile/[yourprofile] folder, it should fix your issue
It worked. Thanks much ;)
paoZ

Post by paoZ »

When you say "limited knowledge of C++", do you actually have any knowledge at all about programming? C++ is quite difficult if you're just beginning in the programming world (I'm assuming you don't have a huge experience in programming given your age, I could be wrong so no offense intended)
Im reading on it here.
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
Needs to reread it many times more though, still cant remember most stuff.
And none taken. :D
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

Hello paoZ, welcome to the forums :)

I'll try to answer your questions point by point. Don't hesitate to ask follow-up questions if my answers aren't clear and/or if you want further information.
paoZ wrote:1. I started a new profile in Wagic and now I cannot play momir basic.
Find the file momir.txt in the player directory and copy it into the directory of your profile.
paoZ wrote:1) All cards can provide mana. And not all creatures can attack or block(vice versa).
Can be done when you add the respective cards. Mana abilities are added with "auto={T}:add{G}" (for green mana), check Llanowar Elves (10E) for an example. The keywords "defender" and "cantblock" are also available. Check this page for a reference on how to add your own cards to the game, lots of people do that.
paoZ wrote:3) Less type(variety, too) of cards, and no instants.
No problem. If you don't add instants when you add the cards, then there will be no instants in your game. The same goes for other types.
paoZ wrote: 4) Creatures have no toughness, instead power and toughness are compiled into 1 single value.
Could be done in a complicated way or in an easy workaround. The complicated way involves rewriting basically every code that deals with power and toughness. The easy way is to give each creature identical power and toughness, and let each card that affects that value affect power and toughness in the same way. So basically the game engine still treats power and toughness as two distinct values, but due to the way you construct your cards, everything that affects toughness will affect power in the same way, so the game works as if there were only one combined value. (This approach will need some further refinement depending on which cards your game has, but in general it should be possible.)
paoZ wrote: 5) Different keywords for similar things. Deathtouch(MTG) is similar to Slayer(DM).
If it's identical, then use the MTG keyword when you describe the card's abilities, and the DM keyword for the card's rules text. If they are only similar, then it depends on the keyword. Some similarities can be implemented in the card's data very easily, others might require changes to the Wagic source code.
paoZ wrote: 2) There is no Main Phase 2.
Spells and summons have to be done in main phase 1.
6) No hand limit.
These two require changes to the engine, either by you changing the source code, or by us in the form of allowing modders to override the phase order or the hand size in a configuration file. Implementing these changes in the source code should be fairly easy.
paoZ wrote: 7) I think this is the last and the most difficult tweak to add. A shield zone (5cards) replaces the life counter.(Players are 1 hit KO) There are shield triggers(broken shields can be played for no cost) and shields are added to hands when broken.( unless special efx(s)).
This sounds indeed complicated. I'm not sure I understand from your description how the system is supposed to work, but this seems to be the only actual difficulty among the points you raised.
paoZ

Post by paoZ »

It is now my bed time :( Since im a kid.
But i will try and compile the Code tomorrow and give my results. Hope they are positive, Thanks much. :D
//Edit
My last activity here.
http://www.wizards.com/duelmasters/htmldemo.asp
wait for it to load and click on how to play, then click on play area then skip and click on the 2nd turn. Then click on abilities. This online rulebook demo is quite outdated, but it should clear up some misunderstandings. :)
P.S I really have to sleep. NOW. :cry: