Discussion: Coding some cool legendary creatures

If you have a question about the git repository and the code, or if you have code to propose then please post in this forum.
Do not post request here.
Dr.Solomat

Discussion: Coding some cool legendary creatures

Post by Dr.Solomat »

Hi all,

in my early days as Magic player i opened a booster pack of the brand new MIRAGE Edition ( :D ) and then held this rare in hand:

I loved it from the start: A legendary, huge, dark monster with cool artwork! :twisted:

And today I wanna implement it into Wagic. The problem is one of its abilities:

"First strike when attacking". So, coding this ability just by writing: "abilities=first strike" would not be correct and would make Spirit of the Night better (when blocking) than it is. But I think there is a way, and because I don't like cards that are altered too much just to get them work for Wagic I will code it in a way that it won't have any influence on the game or the card itself.

1. I will give Spirit of the Night a second creature type next to "Spirit". I think i will call it "Spiritofthenight", so the subtype line will be:
"subtype= Spirit Spiritofthenight"

2. Then I add the auto line: "auto=aslongas(spiritofthenight[attacking]|myinplay) first strike"

By this method we would be able to get cool legendary creatures like Leonin Titan work. BUT: This is only possible for legendary permanents!

One example why this is so:

ImageImage

If you control two Charging Paladin and attack with one them (You have coded Charging Paladin as I explained aboth!) the Paladin that stays at home will also get +0/+3 because there is an attacking "chargingpaladin" in play! ;)

CONCLUSION: Don't try this with Non-legendaries!
Sets Coded/Released: Legends, Visions, Weatherlight, Tempest, Stronghold, Portal I & III, Urza's Saga BLOCK, Mercadian Masques, Invasion BLOCK, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Guildpact, Conflux, Alara Reborn
wololo
Site Admin

Re: Discussion: Coding some cool legendary creatures

Post by wololo »

looks cool. I also had plans to create a keyword that would say "asLongAsI" for the card itself, which would probably work good...
Dr.Solomat

Post by Dr.Solomat »

hmmm, sounds good.
Sets Coded/Released: Legends, Visions, Weatherlight, Tempest, Stronghold, Portal I & III, Urza's Saga BLOCK, Mercadian Masques, Invasion BLOCK, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Guildpact, Conflux, Alara Reborn
Dr.Solomat

Post by Dr.Solomat »

This is the way I coded it:

[card]
text=Flying, trample, haste, protection from black Spirit of the Night has first strike as long as it's attacking.
id=3315
abilities=flying,trample,haste,protection from black,legendary
auto=aslongas(spiritofthenight[attacking]|inplay) first strike
name=Spirit of the Night
color=Black
rarity=R
mana={6}{B}{B}{B}
type=Creature
subtype=Demon Spirit Spiritofthenight
power=6
toughness=5
[/card]

But it does not work. I tested different versions and the reason why it does not work is that it has protection from black, so it seems to protect itself from getting any aslongas bonuses.... . :( Without protection from black it works fine!