Introducing "grade"

If you have a question about the git repository and the code, or if you have code to propose then please post in this forum.
Do not post request here.
wololo
Site Admin

Introducing "grade"

Post by wololo »

Hi, today in the SVN we added a "quality" functionality to the cards. It basically helps card creators to let users know if the code for a given card works correctly, mostly, or not at all.
This is only in the SVN for now but it will make it to next release, so have a look and don't hesitate to ask questions, this is still a work in progress so suggestions are welcome
http://wololo.net/miki/index.php/Wagic/CardCode#grade
flad_nag

Re: Introducing "grade"

Post by flad_nag »

in the current SVN, I can only save into options grades 1 and 2.. I can select grades 3, 4 and 5 but when I save it, it returns to grade 2..

Also, the cheat profile only identifies 5,818 unique cards but the old identifier says 5,837.. ? Why is that?
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

flad_nag wrote:in the current SVN, I can only save into options grades 1 and 2.. I can select grades 3, 4 and 5 but when I save it, it returns to grade 2..
Ok, thanks for the report I'll have a look!
Also, the cheat profile only identifies 5,818 unique cards but the old identifier says 5,837.. ? Why is that?
I like how you've hidden the cheat profile name ;)
So, the distinction of "number of cards" VS "unique" is the following:
Technically, "Primitives" are unique cards, and "MTG Card" are actual reprints.
For now the "unique" value is not significant until a big update that Psyringe is expected to do this week.

what does this mean for the end user?
number of cards is the number of cards stored in the database, including reprints. So if 10E has 4 reprints of "forest", this will count as 4 cards.
Unique is the number of unique cards, so even if you have 4 forest in each expansion, "Forest" will be counted as only one card.

For example Wagic 0.10.1 has 5100 cards, but there are so many reprints that it actually only has around 4000 unique cards.

Again, this is pending a major Cards update that Psyringe will do later this week, which will give the "real" values. The database I tested yesterday from psyringe has more than 9000 cards but something like 4000 uniques, because we include all Core sets which have lots of reprints.
flad_nag

Post by flad_nag »

just a thought, an enhancement request perhaps:

in the trophy room, wherein you can view/read the cards of each sets --> how about enabling an option of viewing also those cards not supported by wagic?

example: for ZENDIKAR set, you have 161 cards coded by Wagic and all of those cards can be seen in the trophy room. But all in all, ZENDIKAR set has about 270 cards (i think). It would be great to view also the other (270 minus 161) cards for reference, reading, enjoyment purposes.

With that, I can conceptualize my real hard copy deck anytime anywhere w/ my psp. What do you guys think?
bcdiscman

Post by bcdiscman »

I think that's a really good idea (but is it easily codeable?)

Thanks to abrasax :D , we already have all MTG card images here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=726
ImageImageImageImage
BCdiscman
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Yes, that's a good idea. We could probably introduced a grade "not coded"... the issue is that it would break lots of features such as the shop (that would sell these cards...) hmmm, not so easy to code actually... I'll think about that.
flad_nag

Post by flad_nag »

thank you very much!
Nordom

Post by Nordom »

A small idea about the Cards not Coded... since there can be a Todo.Dat file in the Set folder...

Couldn't you just have the shop utilize the Data File containing the Cards, whereas the Trophy room Showing the Cards from both the Cards.Dat, and the Todo.dat files?...

this is just a small idea about how to utilize that idea, you dont have to take it seriously, or anything, just an idea...
Psyringe

Post by Psyringe »

Nordom wrote:Couldn't you just have the shop utilize the Data File containing the Cards, whereas the Trophy room Showing the Cards from both the Cards.Dat, and the Todo.dat files?
It's possible, but has a downside. The amount of data represented by the non-implemented cards is quite large (about as large as the data for the already implemented cards). At some point in time this data has to be read in, and that's the problem.

Either we read the whole data in at program start. This slows the program start down considerably (roughly twice the amount of data to read) and also takes up memory (which is a scarce resource on a device such as the PSP).

Or we read the data in only when it's needed (in the trophy room). That would use less memory and wouldn't slow down program startup, but it would slow down the trophy room a lot, because each time you'd enter it an look at a set, a lot of data needs to be read. That's probably too high a price to pay for the sole purpose of displaying cards that the player can't even use yet.

There may of course be solutions that I don't see yet, but that's the situation as I see it currently.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Psyringe wrote: Either we read the whole data in at program start. This slows the program start down considerably (roughly twice the amount of data to read) and also takes up memory (which is a scarce resource on a device such as the PSP).
Yep. Let's consider this only when we have byte compilation loading working
Or we read the data in only when it's needed (in the trophy room). That would use less memory and wouldn't slow down program startup, but it would slow down the trophy room a lot, because each time you'd enter it an look at a set, a lot of data needs to be read. That's probably too high a price to pay for the sole purpose of displaying cards that the player can't even use yet.
In that case we would cache it. Only the first time would be painful