For those of us who want the ultimate retro gaming experience, there’s the Hyperkin RetroN 5. For the rest of us, the Sony Playstation Portable is one of the best machines when it comes to emulation. Its little sister, the PS Vita, has the same benefits thanks to VHBL and TN-V. NES, GBA, SNES, If you can think of an older generation console, the PSP and the Vita have it.
On this page, we provide download links for all emulators that run on the Sony Playstation Portable & the PS Vita.
Looking for the best PSP emulator? Then you actually want to check our PSP emulator page!
Looking for a Vita emulator? Here again, you want to check our PS Vita emulator page for the latest information on that topic!
This page is a list of emulators to run on your PSP or your PS Vita, not the other way around!
The emulators below are compatible with both the PSP and the PS Vita (through its PSP emulator). We have another page for Native PS Vita emulators (compatible with PS Vita only) running through the Rejuvenate hack.
0. Quick links
Table of contents to jump directly to the emulator you are looking for!
- Second Generation Consoles (1970’s)
- Third Generation Consoles (8-bit era, 1980’s)
- Fourth Generation Consoles (16-bit era, 1980’s & 1990’s)
- Fifth Generation Consoles (32/64-bit era, 1990’s)
- Sixth Generation Consoles (128-bit era, 2000’s)
- Seventh Generation Consoles (late 2000’s)
1. What you need
A variety of emulators exist for the Playstation Portable and the Sony PS Vita. Explaining to you how to install and run them is not the main goal of this article, but you will need to get your console ready first. Check the explanations below:
- If you want to run emulators on your PSP, you will in general need to run a Custom Firmware on your PSP. Installing a Custom Firmware on your PSP is a 5 minutes riskless procedure, and we explain how to do it here.
- If you want to run emulators on your Vita, you will need to run a custom Firmware or VHBL. The procedure to achieve that is described here . You will also need to use one of the scene’s mods of the content manager assistant, in order to copy files to your Vita.
2. Emulators Downloads
The links below are download links for emulators that will run on the PSP and the PS Vita. However, we do not provide any links to “roms”. Additionally, a few emulators require a “bios” file which we cannot distribute for legal reasons. You have to provide your own. Details on how to install those emulators and additional help can be found below.
The download links below are kept up to date regularly in order to guarantee we provide the latest and greatest version of each emulator. When several options are possible, we added alternatives in parenthesis. But if you find better, please let us know!
Second Generation Consoles (1970’s)
- Atari 2600: PSP2600 (don’t like it? Try Stella PSP)
- Atari 5200: PSPAtari
- Magnavox Odyssey: emuODD
- Colecovision: PSPColem (don’t like it? Try ColemPSP)
- Vectrex: PSPVE
- Intellivision: PSPInt
Third Generation Consoles (8-bit era, 1980’s)
- Nintendo Entertainment System (NES, Famicon): NesterJ AoEX
- Sega Master System: MasterBoy (don’t like it? Try SMS Plus)
- Atari 7800: PSP7800
Fourth Generation Consoles (16-bit era, 1980’s & 1990’s)
Note: If you grew up in the 90’s and like retro gaming, you might want to check the Hyperkin RetroN 5, a 5-in-1 gaming console that supports your original cartridges for the NES, SNES, Genesis/Megadrive, Game Boy and GBA.
- Super Nintendo (SNES): Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 mod (VHBL users, try version 0.4.2 here)
- Sega Genesis/ Megadrive: Picodrive
- Neo Geo: MVSPSP
- Gameboy & Gameboy Color: Masterboy
- Game Gear: Masterboy
- Atari Lynx: PLynx
- Pc-Engine/TurboGrafx-16: PCEP (don’t like it? Try PSPHugo)
Fifth Generation Consoles (32/64-bit era, 1990’s)
- Nintendo 64 (N64): DaedalusX64
- Sony Playstation (PS1, PSX): integrated on the PSP, no need for additional emulator
- Neo Geo Pocket/Color: RACE! (don’t like it? Try e[mulator] or NgPSP)
Sixth Generation Consoles (128-bit era, 2000’s)
Seventh Generation Consoles (late 2000’s)
- Nintendo DS (NDS): DSonPSP (note: that emulator is experimental and support has been stopped a long time ago!)
- Commodore C64: PSP-Vice
- Amstrad CPC464: PSPCAP32
- ZX Spectrum 48K: FUSE
- MSX: fMSX
- Atari 800,800XL,130XE: PSPAtari
- Sam Coupé: PSPSim
- Dragon32/64-Tandy Coco: PSPDragon
- Thompson MO5: PSP MO5
- Thompson TO7: PSPThom
- BBC Micro Computer: PSPBeeb
- Commodore Amiga: PSP UAE
- Atari ST: CaSTaway
- Lucasart Point & Click adventure games: ScummVM
- Adventure Game Studio (AGS, Point & click Games): Adventure Game Studio for PSP
- Dos: DosBox
3. Need More?
If you’re into retro gaming, check out AVGN-X, 100 episodes of the Angry Video Game Nerd on one Blu Ray. If you buy through our affiliate links, you don’t pay anything extra, but we get a commission. Thanks for your support!
Thanks go to Dragon Chan for his “PSP emulators Bible” (and to kakarotto who helped him)
Looking for emulators running on other platforms? Check our emulators page.