This page contains a list of Emulators available to run on the PS Vita, through the HENkaku hack. These are considered “native” emulators, using the full power of the PS Vita, per opposition to emulators available through the ePSP system on the Vita (for those, see Emulators for the PSP / PS Vita – The ultimate download list)
Please note that emulation on the PS Vita is still in its early stages. Many of the emulators below have bugs. In general, we recommend to check our HENkaku forum to look for the latest version or ask for help. This could help you confirm if a given emulator actually works before throwing your console through the window!
In order to run the following emulators on your PS Vita, you will first need to install the HENkaku hack on your console.
Emulators for the PS Vita – The Ultimate Download list
These emulators are compatible with the HENkaku hack. For more emulators, that run through other methods, please check our “ultimate emulators download list”
In general, you’ll find that Retroarch, which emulates more than 20 different consoles and Operating systems, is probably your best choice for now. If you want to look deeper into specific systems for alternatives, check below.
0. Quick links
Table of contents to jump directly to the emulator you are looking for!
- Second Generation Consoles (1970’s)
- Third Generation Consoles (8-bit era, 1980’s)
- Fourth Generation Consoles (16-bit era, 1980’s & 1990’s)
- Fifth Generation Consoles (32/64-bit era, 1990’s)
- Sixth Generation Consoles (128-bit era, 2000’s)
- Seventh Generation Consoles (late 2000’s)
1. What you need
A variety of emulators exist for the Sony PS Vita. Explaining to you how to install and run them is not the main goal of this article, but you will need to get your console ready first. Check the explanations below:
- If you want to run these emulators on your Vita, you will need to run a PS Vita custom Firmware or homebrew enabler. The procedure to achieve that is easy and described here .
- Now could be the right time for you to get a PS TV, while they’re cheap in stilll in stock. Just sayin’
2. Emulators Downloads
The links below are download links for emulators that will run on the PS Vita. However, we do not provide any links to “roms”. Additionally, a few emulators require a “bios” file which we cannot distribute for legal reasons. You have to provide your own. Details on how to install those emulators and additional help can be found below.
The download links below are kept up to date regularly in order to guarantee we provide the latest and greatest version of each emulator. When several options are possible, we added alternatives in parenthesis. But if you find better, please let us know!
Second Generation Consoles (1970’s)
Third Generation Consoles (8-bit era, 1980’s)
- Nintendo Entertainment System (NES, Famicon): Retroarch (fceumm core or quicknes core or Nestopia core)
- Sega Master System: SMSPlusVita
- Atari 7800: Retroarch (prosystem core)
Fourth Generation Consoles (16-bit era, 1980’s & 1990’s)
Note: If you grew up in the 90’s and like retro gaming, you might want to check the Hyperkin RetroN 5, a 5-in-1 gaming console that supports your original cartridges for the NES, SNES, Genesis/Megadrive, Game Boy and GBA.
- Super Nintendo (SNES): Snes9xVita (don’t like it? try Retroarch – CATSFC core or Snes9x_next core)
- Sega Genesis/ Megadrive: Genesis Plus GX (don’t like it? Try Retroarch – Genesis Plus core or Picodrive core)
- Neo Geo: Retroarch (fb-alpha cores)
- Gameboy & Gameboy Color: RealBoy-Vita (don’t like it? Try Retroarch – Gambatte core or tgbdual core )
- Game Gear: SMSPlusVita
- Atari Lynx: HandyVita (don’t like it? Try Retroarch – HandyVita core)
Fifth Generation Consoles (32/64-bit era, 1990’s)
- Neo Geo Pocket/Color: NeopopVita (don’t like it? Try Retroarch – mednafen-ngp core)
- Virtual Boy: Retroarch – mednafen vb core
- Sega Saturn: Retroarch (Yabause core)
Sixth Generation Consoles (128-bit era, 2000’s)
- Gameboy Advance (GBA): mGBA (don’t like it? Try Retroarch gPSP core)
- Bandai Wonderswan: Retroarch – mednafen-wswan core
Seventh Generation Consoles (late 2000’s)
- Nintendo DS (NDS): DeSmuME-Vita (don’t like it? Try the other port by Xerpi, or the Retroarch DeSmuMEe core)
- Cave Story (NXEngine): Retroarch – nxengine core
- Doom (PrBoom): Retroarch – prboom core
- Quake: VitaQuake (don’t like it? try Retroarch – TyrQuake core)
3. Need More?
Up to date list of Homebrews and utilities for your HENkaku-enabled PS Vita.
Looking for emulators running on other platforms? Check our emulators page.