PSP Custom Firmware for dummies

Translations for this article:

You got a new PSP, you want to run homebrews and backups, but you’re lost with all the terms CFW, HEN, M33, Pro CFW… or you’re simply looking for a quick and easy guide to get the best solution for your PSP? Well, you’ve come to the right place. This guide is an all-in-one guide to installing the appropriate Custom Firmware on your console, just follow my lead.

Let’s start with the basics, What’s your PSP model?

1. I have a PSP 1000 (Phat)
  2. I have a PSP 2000 (Slim)
  3. I have a PSP 3000 (Brite)
  4. I have a PSP Go
  5. I have a PSP E1000 (PSP Street, Europe only)

1. Learn More says:

Right away I am going to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming yet again to read further news.

2. Jacklyn says:

I constantly emailed this webpage post page to all my associates, as if like to read it then my contacts will too.

3. Lakesha says:

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the structure of your blog?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could
    a little more in the way of content so people could connect
    with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

4. This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which
    helped me. Many thanks!

5. Keeley says:

of course like your web-site but you have to test the spelling on several of your posts.
    Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I
    find it very troublesome to inform the truth on the other hand
    I’ll definitely come again again.

6. Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Finding
    the time and actual effort to produce a good article… but what
    can I say… I put things off a whole lot and don’t seem to get nearly anything done.

7. Gilda says:

For latest news you have to pay a visit web and on internet I
    found this site as a best website for most recent updates.

8. TobeyDemon says:

my psp 3001 never looked or was better even with all my signed games. lcfw pro b10 for ofw 6.60 is so boss. few crashes. love it. love plugins.

9. nura says:

what’s the diff b/n b-10 and C? can C run all what you can run on b-10? im a bit skeptical on switching to pro C :/

10. kingblack says:

win of psp

11. hi re says:

how do u know if yr PSP has custom firmwares

12. google says:

does it take so long when ur installing a cfw

13. hassan says:

i cant know my psp tipe

14. hassan says:

i dont know wahts model is it

15. Akshay says:

I have psp street and I want to play memory card games how can I plz any 1 tell

16. Akamaru says:

I upgraded to this a while ago, but the icons for my psp ISO games appear twice in the game menu. Is there a fix for this?

• toBsucht says:

Look into PSP/GAME i´m sure you got some files twice (shortcuts). You maybe can delete them with isotool or a homebrew sorter.

• Akamaru says:

No that’s not the problem. You put iso and cso games in the ISO folder, not the GAME folder and I know for certain that I don’t put it in there twice. Also only one of the icons in the game menu works when I boot a game. The other one just crashes my psp.

17. toBsucht says:

Have a look into PSP/GAME floder^^

Delete from xmb isn´t possible? Choose not working icon (shortcut) press triangle and select delete.
    You can select hide corupt files.

18. andrikos says:

hhhhhhh guys how can we play to psp ?

19. andrikos says:

pokemon ???

20. orion says:

PSP won’t update from 6.20 to 6.60 ever since I used Chronoswitch Downgrader to downgrade to 6.20?
    So I figured it would be neat to hack my 2 PSP 3000s so I used Chronoswitch Downgrader to downgrade from 6.60 to 6.20 after that I installed the PRO B10 hack to the PSP then I installed the permanent boot loader patch for PRO B10 then I decided I wanted to take it off and so on my first PSP I first uninstalled the permanent patch then I uninstalled the PRO B10 and it worked perfectly and I was able to update my firmware back to 6.60 but on the second PSP I uninstalled the PRO B10 hack first instead of uninstalling the permanent patch first like I did on the other PSP and ever since then I’ve tried downloading the 6.60 firmware from the internet then downloading it to my PSP and booting it from the game section and that didnt work I got this The update cannot be started. The data is corrupted. (IDXFFFFFFFF) SO after that I tried using the built it System Update Feature and i tried Update via Internet and I got connected to the internet but then I got Connection to the server could not be established. (20000006) So if someone could please give me a solution to how to get back to 6.60 that would be GREAT! Because I sold this on eBay and need to get it shipped out soon! Thanks!

21. syed says:

Dear sir ,
    I want to mod my psp to pro cfw but i have a few questions about it as
    I am new to this,my questions are:
    (1) will i be able to play all original psp games on my psp with pro cfw?
    (2) if i buy a original psp game will i be able to download it on a pro duo memory stick and play it without the cd after installing the pro cfw on my psp, if yes then how?
    (3)can i download the latest original psp games for free through internet instead of buying them after i have installed a pro cfw on my psp, if yes then how?

Waiting for your response eagerly,
    Syed owais

• Ken says:

(1) yes (2) yes. Once cfw is installed just access vsh menu on your psp by pressing select button,and under “usb device” you select “umd disc”. Now you connect your psp to your pc to have access to the umd disc. You will see “game title.iso”. Just transfer the iso to your hard drive then go back to vsh menu and change usb device back to memory card. Now transfer the iso file to iso folder on the psp memory stick. (3) You should be careful with your last question. You may as well be asking “Can I kill someone in cold blood and get away with it, if yes then how? lol Just Google “torrent” and that will send you down the path to find most anything you want.

22. sp says:

Hi,

I have a PSPVITA and i want to play pirated games on it can anyone please help me out with links to download the right CFW hack files. And also how to hack it. I also checked out some video where that person was showing about installing your REGION file. How do i find out what region my PSP is??

23. Carnate Artemio Jr says:

hjfghfghfgh

24. jr says:

hi Sir i have a new ps vita.every time i download uno it would not appear on my vita screen and they goes to Application Data Management,save data (PSP/Playstation/Other).what to do to make it appear on my vita screen icon…tenkz…

25. Manbir1246 says:

I have a psp model 3003 how do I get custom firmware.

26. Peter Smit Gary says:

My PSP Slim has become dysfuntional with Auto-Pressing Buttons likes of Start button and Right Trigger button during Game play. i changed quite a few CFW but none of them seem to work at the moment.

Is there any way to solve that problem? thanks very much indeed.

27. Daniel says:

Hey, my psp model is 2003. Would the 2000 link work on my 2003?

28. The SCoTT says:

Tops it all works fine just don’t know what to do with a modded psp that’s legal

29. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the simple guide. I’ve got CFW on my PSP now. 😀

30. aman says:

Thanks for this guide man, all worked perfectly, and now I am able to play games on my psp.

For people who are skeptical about wheather it will work or not, it SURELY works given that you perform the steps exactly mentioned in the guide. And if it helps:

my psp details:
    PSP Slim.
    ofw = 6.60
    motherboard = 0.88 v1/v2

…works very well on that!
    thanks for the guide again! 🙂

31. Chris says:

I want to instal Custom Firmware but I can’t figure out which psp I have, before check the bottom my serial code is wiped off. ANy other ways to figure out which psp I have or is ther a custome firmware I should try first? I’m just worried Ill try the wrong one and brick my beloved psp I got a week ago =P

Thanks =]

32. Chris says:

Gahhh I feel dumb explored my psp better and figured it out-excited top install but thanks for the help anyway!

33. Alex says:

Which one is for the PSP go/portable?

34. JAKE says:

HOW DO I UNMOD MY PSP PHAT PLEASE

35. vincent says:

hello,
    i have a psp 1004 with cfw 3.52 m33-4 on it.
    but there are many iso’s that won’t play .
    now i want to upgrade the cfw to a higher one but if i try to install another then i get dadadada error.
    then i found a cfw update for 5.xx and when i start the update the psp is asking if i want to dl the filefrom the internet , so there is a file missing.
    i don’t know what to do .
    can anyone help me please??

36. gazer says:

^_^ Hello guys. I have one question, I have a PSP 3001and i recently installed the CFW 6.60. i downloaded a decrypter and extracted it using Win.rar, and when i copy the decryption folder to the PSP/GAME section, it displays as Corrupt Data on my PSP menu. does anyone have a solution to this problem?

37. zeus14 says:

yo i hav a fat psp with a software 5.50 GEN-D (full) and wen trying to update it says already fully updated, i tried nearly everything but nuthins worked does anyone have any ideas got it without a memory stick, but bought a new one didnt help.

• Ken says:

Open the vsh menu (select button in xmb), scroll to usb device and select flash0, close vsh menu and connect your psp to your pc. Look for a file named version.txt (in vsh/etc directory) and open it, you should see something like 9.90, change it to 5.50 and save, disconnect psp, reboot psp and start updater.

1. June 23, 2013

[…] custom firmware on your PSP. If you’ve never done installed a CFW before, I suggest following this tutorial to install 6.60 […]