PSP Custom Firmware for dummies

Heads up! Persona 5 Premium Edition currently up for preorders, might run fast out of stock ($71.99 for Prime members).

Translations for this article:

You got a new PSP, you want to run homebrews and backups, but you’re lost with all the terms CFW, HEN, M33, Pro CFW… or you’re simply looking for a quick and easy guide to get the best solution for your PSP? Well, you’ve come to the right place. This guide is an all-in-one guide to installing the appropriate Custom Firmware on your console, just follow my lead.

Let’s start with the basics, What’s your PSP model?

1. I have a PSP 1000 (Phat)
  2. I have a PSP 2000 (Slim)
  3. I have a PSP 3000 (Brite)
  4. I have a PSP Go
  5. I have a PSP E1000 (PSP Street, Europe only)

1. moolash says:

I have an E1004 (Hungary) with 6.50 OFW.
    I understand, I just update to 6.60 and than flash the CFW?
    Is this method up to now the only way? (running recovery everytime I reboot the PSP doesn’t seem to be a big thing)
    Last Q: if I just want to revert, I just install the 6.60 OFW and I am back to “bring back for warranty” state?

(I know how to flash phones, I just had these noobis questions, sorry)

• PSPcfwDUDE says:

you update to 6.60 then you flash the CFW
      and if you want to go to the ‘bring back for warranty’ state you just launch the PROUPDATE program and you press Δ to unistall the CFW and your ‘official’.

2. Albinoslug says:

Hey Wololo i have a PSP 3001 with OFW 6.20, updating to 6.60 and installing the Pro CFW 6.60 is safe? , have any probability to “brick”? thanks

• toBsucht says:

Albinoslug no need to update. Updates cann´t brick your system.
      Things you should know:
      1. Plugins (prx) can brick a system if you use them wrong >
      2. Flash is memory in each psp with nessary operating system files (prx, font etc.). If you mess with the flash you have a high chance to get a full brick. (full-hackabel maybe only semibrick)
      so try to dump / backup your flash.
      3. You can use a faked 6.60 version.txt to play your orginal psp game with 6.20 Firmware or to use psn.
      4. downgrade is much more risky then update.

3. Walter says:

Hello i have a PSP-E1004 Version 6.50 How can i flach it?

4. yash says:

i have a psp 3001 does these method will work on it or not?

5. Alex says:

Hey, nice tutorial, but I have one problem. My select button is stuck, so I can’t access the recovery menu to run a remap or a macro plugin. Is there any way around this?

6. vinz says:

hey dude i have a psp e1004 street
    can ya help me

7. Sam says:

what do i do if i have 2 memory sticks? do i need to put any of these files on the second one? is Pro B10 uninstallanle if i have problems? thanks

8. Sam says:

sorry, i misspelled uninstallable

9. Sam says:

I want to install Pro B10 6.60 on my PSP Go. do i have to install it on a memory stick or can it be installed in the system storage?

• toBsucht says:

you don´t need to copy all files from stick to stick
      (except plugins and other custom stuff which is in use)
      6.60 is a non permant fw (pspgo isn´t full hacked^^).
      No files in flash if you reboot!

10. venkat says:

Plzz Help to download games for my PSP 3004 version.6.60.! i have downloaded many games and applications..they are not working.! i donno how to install them into my PSP.. thank you.! waiting for the reply:)

11. pspfreak says:

hey guys i have a PSVita some one please help me. im not a noob at this, i have fully hacked psp 1000 completely with Pandora bat and magic memory sick, running remote joy, all homebrews, theme packs, and umd dumper. i have no idea where to start with Exploiting the PSVita, i know there are no hacks for it but i do know you can get homebrews on it and i have see the ones that are compatible. can any1 help me plz!?!?! thankyou so much .

12. Mr.Flake says:

Hey,

A Looong time ago i did the Pandora trick to get to 4.01 m33-2.

Now, I’ve pulled the dust off my PSP-1003 and would love to get it up-to-date, but forgive me I’m a little rusty after a few years!

Can I use install this over 4.01 m33-2 straight off the bat? or should i do something else first?

Also – is this pretty much the best method for custom firmware these days? I feel like a n00b again…

13. Stefano Rickeets says:

Thank you very much! I never knew hacking my PSP 3001 was this easy and without the risk of bricking. Thanks again! 🙂

14. IH8S0NY says:

There should be one for ME CFW

15. Genesis says:

P.S.G.C.

Runs pro b 10 CFW with XMBcontrol and vsh

Build in memory in N1004 makes it possable to run remotejoy & pspdisp without plugin changes

minnimum loadtime cuse of 14gb ef0 build in memory/ also got 8gb micro sd2 memory

Pro b 10 need no external eboot loader like iso tool or prometheus,
    Makes Eboot shell on boot-up / WORKS FOR BOTH ISO & CSO FILES and with catagorise prx

On upload pro b 10 has been set to auto run XMBControl

Catagorise prx (VSH) & Catagorise prx (POPS) installed and set to hide uncatagorised folders & ISO FILES

N1004 comes with a build in WIDE Color depth option, (is activated)

CAT FOLDERS ACTIVATED
    _EF0 (RPG – ACTION – STRATEGY – FIGHTING – DRIVING) / PRO B 10 IS UNCATAGORISED LOCATED ON EF0 & MS0 root
    _MS0 (PSX – MINIS – SNES – GAMEBOY ADVANCED – CFW & XMB – APPLICATIONS – DISPLAY)

HBL CFW INSTALLED AND ACCESSABLE FOR MS0/ DOES ONLY EBOOT – INSTALLED IN XMB & CFW FOLDER IF NEEDED

REMOTE PRX IS AUTOMATICLY ACTIVATED ON CFW PBO B 10 BOOT UP (REMOTEJOYLITE.EXE FILES IS PRELOADED ON MS0)

LIGHT EXPAND PRX IS SET AND PRELOADED ON PRO B 10 START UP / 4 STEPS SWITCH

cXMB PRX GAMEBOOT IS PRELOADED FROM MS0 ON PRO B 10 BOOT-UP

VSH MENU PRX INSTALLED / ACCESS FROM XMB BY PRESSING SELECT BUTTON

USBVERSION.TXT/VERSION.TXT/USBVERSIONFAKE.TXT PRX ACTIVATED ON PRO B 10 BOOT-UP

TOTALNOOBS TN HEN E RESENTLY HAS SOME SORT OF MALFUNCKTION AND IS NOT IN USE (I´LL GET BACK TO THIS LATER)

UPDATE 6.20 CFW PRO B 10 HAS SHOWN NO SIGNS OF LACKING BEHAVIOR WHATSOEVER ON BUILD IN M33 DRIVER..

DIGITAL COMICS WORKS LIKE A CHARM

SENSME SEEMS WORKING / UNCERTENED & NOT FULLY TESTED

PSN LOGIN & STORE WORKS LIKE A CHARM

PRO SETTINGS EXTRA MENU APPLAYED IN XMB SYSTEM MENU

BLUETOOTH DEVICE DOSENT SEEM WORKING WHILE USING REMOTEJOY PLUGINS. IT WORKS IN PSPDISP BUT ONLY IN WLAN

RECOVERY MENU IS ACCESSABLE FROM VSH MENU IN XMB AND PRO SETTINGS IN XMB SYSTEM MENU

SWAP X/O ACTIVATED AND LOCKED TO 6.20 XMB

PAUSE GAME HAS MALFUNCTION ON EF0 YET WORKING FINE ON MS0 (GUESS ITS SOME PLUGIN FAILURE, NOT FULLY TESTED)

DUE TO PLUGINS USB ACTIVATION MUST BE TOGGLED FROM XMB VHS/ WORKS WELL

• Genesis says:

SensMe Fully tested & works like a charm

Hud Prx has been activated (Not quite sure but think this plugin may cause some sort of plugin disturbance)

Still haven´t tested nor figured out the cause of TN HEN E´s
      malfunction Yet as for now i won´t do anymore examination of this problem since it would seem like a step back compared to PRO B 10 6.20 CFW

Any suggestions or recommendations for which Homebrew and Prx plugins i should be testing next??

16. smdelfin says:

I have PSP3000 running on 5.03Gen.
    Isn’t that enough?
    Should I still mess with my current version?
    Should I still upgrade to 6.60 (then to ProCFW)?
    What are the benefits?

• PSPcfwDUDE says:

You choose what you want to do . 5.03 GEN is outdated though , and probably doesnt play the newest games . Updating to 6.60 and then to ProCFW will GUARANTEE the best compatibility in both old and new PSP Games .

17. Wololo if you’re reading this, then your wife wants something from you RIGHT NOW!

18. hanibal says:

I have a psp e1004 and iam really new at this.can u please tell me how to play games on it via memory card…….ive heard that its unhackeble or so.

19. hanibal bartha says:

i have psp e1004 and iam really nw at this.can u please tell me how to play games on this via memory card…………….ive heard that its unhackable or so

20. Musasa says:

Cn anyone help me , i want to know what to do to play games on my psp e1004 via memory card because am tired of travelling with umd’s plz help

• parthwrte says:

hey man its easy … first install 6.60 firmware and then install cfw on it….. i also have e1004. so once u download the files of cfw just extract the three folders namely cipl flasher (not needed , can even delete) , proupdate,fast recovery into memory card -psp folder-game. close the usb mode and go to games … there will be 2 or3 icons (depending upon if u added cipl flasher)…. open pro update….it will not recognise the model but u can install it by the onscreen directions…..fast recovery is for when u totally shut down ur device and open it again to se that cfw is deactivated….so just open it

21. tankerkiller says:

OK so i would like to know if i can perma hack my psp3000 brite if i downgrade i have found a downgrading tool do you think you can help

22. ZiK says:

Hey, I’ve been out of the PSP scene in such a loooooooooong time now. And apparently the psp community has increases and more hacks has been fix and stable.
    So I left the scene right about the time TN-E and Pro where the only CFW around. Total_noob left the scene and so did I.

but now i want to be ” Up-to-Date” but before i make any hasty decisions as to upgrade the firmware. I would like to know what are the benefits with staying on (6.20 TN-E)/(6.20 Pro-B) and proceeding to the latest stable CFW

I really want answers to people that would like to downgrade to and early FW and why?
    [any information would help me out righ t now, The more the better 🙂 ]

23. ZiK says:

I forgot to mention Im running it on My PSP-Go…

24. Maruf 786 says:

Ca any 1 help me? i hav a psp 3000 (Carnival colours-Vibrant Blue)….i run 6.20 cfw…..when i upgrade to 6.60 and try to install cfw pro-c it cant be permanent patch…..Sadly i hav to again downgraded to 6.20……can any one tell me how to solve this problem….i really wanted to try the 6.60 fw…..

25. crookedmouth says:

I just wanted to report that when I upgraded to 6.60 OFW. MAME4All began freezing after I select the game rom. I also ran into a few freezes when using some of zx81’s ports. Random freezes I can live with but mame still did not work. I tried a bunch of different versions of mame to no avail. After I downgraded back to 6.20 OFW it now works as it did.

I don’t think I will bother with 6.35 or 6.39 until I absolutely have to.

I have a 3000 and just wanted to report this in case others are thinking of going to 6.60. I should of followed one of my rules. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

• toBsucht says:

i also use 6.20 and a 3000. If you use another ofw ver. you have use another exploit each of them is a bit different that´s a resaon why 6.60 don´t work as well as lower fw-hen.
      Some stuff just work with 6.39 fw example leda.prx
      6.60 fw is possible with all psp and pro-cfw has a pretty good HomeBrew support..
      I use sometimes tn-hen to run some HB s which aren´t working with pro. 6.60 has naturel sony-game support and if you are more advanced you will note that a downgrade to the lowest installed ofw @ your device is possible!-)

did you try 6.60hbl mame4all i believe there is one

• crookedmouth says:

I admit I didn’t know about that version of MAME4all. Perhaps I will try it again since now I am not afraid of downgrading anyway. There is still the matter of more crashes in some of zx81’s ported emulators but perhaps that was coincidence. Thanks for the reply.

26. BIG SEK says:

works great

27. Guess there’s actually going to be a practical purpose to a RetroArch Vita port. Keep up the good work and we’ll meet there soon.

28. Xavier says:

Hey! PSP Street is available in India now. Update it please. It’s no longer (Europe Only)

29. Taka says:

Hi. I am sorry, I am using PRO-C 6.39, just updated yesterday. My screen is black and sometimes there are some green and red blocks flashing on the screen.
    Anyway, should I upgrade to PRO-C 6.60 instead?

• toBsucht says:

Try hold power for ~10sec.! Do you use plugins for example theme. What have you updated pro-hen or fw^^ Becareful or you maybe brick your device.

30. Branden says:

This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have
    found something that helped me. Thanks!

31. Velda says:

Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the great work.

32. Andisimo says:

i got a psp 2000 running CFW 5.50 Prometheus-4 …. i want to update it more to the latest…can someone give me a list of CFW after that so i can update in order

33. David says:

Hi. I got a PSP1000 a couple of months after launch, which has sadly been in a drawer for nearly all of the last five years. I wondered about using CFW about three years ago, but decided to leave it. Anyway, I dusted it off, bought a few cheap games and then found this site. It seemed easy enough to use CFW now, even for someone as clueless as me, and I’ve just done it. So far, so good.

My question is, can I use it to play PS1 game Xenogears? I have read so much about the game but am in UK, where Xenogears wasn’t released on PS1. I would pay for it but can’t find it in the PSN store. Without breaching any of this site’s rules, could someone please advise me if I can play it using CFW 6.60, and how I would go about it. Many thanks.

34. David says:

… I’m sorted now. If anyone else is new to this and has the same question then Google, as ever, is your friend.
    I used the search terms PSX PSP EBOOT XENOGEARS.
    This took me to a source in the required format (EBOOT.PBP).
    This file, in its own folder, goes into the \PSP\GAME\ folder …so in this case it would be \PSP\GAME\XENOGEARS\EBOOT.PBP.
    I chose to use an ‘undub’ version of the game, with the original Japanese voices and English subtitles – delighted with that, as it’s my preference when watching anime.
    I’ll be having a look at other PS1 games which are rare or not released in the UK, such as Tomba, Einhander and Symphony of the Night.
    Happy days, and thanks to everyone connected with the CFW and this site.

35. bill says:

hi i am running vf coldbird 6.31pro on psp 2000 and has suited me well so have not need to upgrade but now am looking to update as some iso arent working what is the best option cfw for me any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• toBsucht says:

6.31 hen aren´t supported anymore downgrade to 6.20 or update to at least to 6.35.
      After that more plugins should work etc. 6.60 is the best for games~ 😉

36. Noah says:

Does this work on the PSP 2001? I tried the “2000” link and did everything right, but it didn’t work. Maybe I did mess it up. Please help. Thanks!

37. HelpAreWelcome says:

Need help, why does the psp restart when you turn it off instead of sleeping?

38. Sainath says:

I hav sony PSP E1004 2A,
    pls hlp me to unlok or hack i.
    I m nw user to it.

39. Mitchel says:

What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable familiarity
    regarding unpredicted emotions.

40. Earlene says:

Hi there, the whole thing is going perfectly here
    and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that’s actually excellent, keep up writing.