PSP Custom Firmware for dummies

You got a new PSP, you want to run homebrews and backups, but you’re lost with all the terms CFW, HEN, M33, Pro CFW… or you’re simply looking for a quick and easy guide to get the best solution for your PSP? Well, you’ve come to the right place. This guide is an all-in-one guide to installing the appropriate Custom Firmware on your console, just follow my lead.

Let’s start with the basics, What’s your PSP model?

1. I have a PSP 1000 (Phat)
  2. I have a PSP 2000 (Slim)
  3. I have a PSP 3000 (Brite)
  4. I have a PSP Go
  5. I have a PSP E1000 (PSP Street, Europe only)

1. ezio auditory da firenzy says:

hey wololo my psp 2000 is called slim and lite too its written on the box its a ta088v3 so you should edit that what you written wrong

2. agatio123 says:

psp 3000 is brite no slim and lite

3. yellow says:

psp cfw for dummies :lol: good work wololo hopefully no mre stupid questions from noobs,

• clockdryve says:

I’m sure that if it’s coming from a “noob”…then it’s NOT a stupid question for him because he doesn’t know any better YET. He’s not LUCKY enough Mr. “Big Shot”…to be all the He-man that is you “yella”

4. luccAS says:

is it run all isos?

• toBsucht says:

luccAS it the cfw (hen) run close to all isos and cso! It if it is to difficult for you to make one game working with it you can use the umd or whatever.

:P I miss the button/trigger Click here to download so guy/gurls click Wololos blue tagged word :o

5. Dex says:

What are the risks when using HEN? I’d like to know before i try it.

PSP 3002, OFW 6.20

6. Spork says:

i posted this guide hope you don’t mind

7. MediaEngine_PRX says:

None. It resides in RAM, which clears if you completely shut off your PSP.

8. yousuf says:

its new hack for psp 6.37?

9. mister munch says:

hey, i have a psp go with TN-d HEN 6.20 and i cant get plugins to work
    (i wanted the game categories v12 plugin)

please help!

10. mister munch says:

srry i didnt realize that there was a light version =)

11. Radz16 says:

Hello wololo :)

I’m new to PSP so I have to read many tutorials and so far your website is the best. But Im confused if ” ‘CFW’ Pro B4 for Firmware 6.35″ is a pure CFW or a combination of Hen+LCFW? Please enlighten me to avoid myself from bricking my PSP, this is my first one…

P.S. My PSP is PSP 3004 slim and lite.

12. imatotalnoob says:

can someone tell me where to put the fast recovery once i download it from this website btw my firmware is 6.35 pro cfw plz plz tell me where to put the fast recovery psp 3000 where do i put it iso files or just in my memory stick

best regards imatotalnoob

13. Sudhir says:

i dont know my psp model can you help me finding it

• imanoob says:

just look at yout ta motherboard the bottom of your psp i think.asi is 3004 france is 3001 and eurasia is 3000 japan 3002 idk if im right or not just check ok:)

• sweirdo says:

3000 – Japan (cause PSP is product of Japan. .)
        3001 – USA
        3002 – New Zealand
        3003 – UK
        3004 – Europe
        so on. .

14. Psp Dummy says:

These are awesome tutorials! Thanks!

15. whydidiupdate says:

hello can someone help me i update to 6.38 and i download the ofw 6.35 when i want to isntall it it says no need to install system is up to date can soemone tell me how to downgrade 6.38 to 6.35

16. makecfwfor6.38 says:

do any you guys think virtuos flame or aka coldbird gonna make 6.38 pro is it possibleand what not do u think it is?? if yes thumbs up…………. if no then shut up……….

17. Dark-Alex says:

wololo i have psp 3004 (4g) model with motherboard TA-093. I m on 6.20 pro-b5. Should i stay on this or upgrade to 6.37 cfw? by the way plz tell me that is my psp downgradable? thanks

18. vjkjh says:

its been a long time since the ofw 6.37 was released or atleast it feels that way and i was wondering why isnt hen out already

could you guys atleast give us a release date?

19. total_noob says:

hello guys i will realease tn-a for 6.38 as soon as possible im working on it plz be patient and no iso loader

20. Anon19861's says:

We are Anonymous.
    We do not forgive.
    We do not forget.
    Expect us.

21. Anon19861's says:

We are anonymous
    We do not forgive
    We do not forget
    Expect us

22. total_fail says:

im working on 6l.38 hen i will release it soon HA WHAT A JOKE!

23. Koalix says:

2 things to ask:

1 – The best version to keep a 2000 fully hackable is on 5.50 with TN_Hen? Doesn’t have any benefit to upgrade to last CFWs?

2 – There is any way to connect to PSN with 5.50?

24. spiro says:

Thanks for this…
    man i used to know how to do it back when it was a savegame exploit on PSP-1000

now theres like a thousand workarounds over the 4 platforms

now that i’ve moved from the 1000->3000 this really is a Huge help
    thx

25. mister munch says:

I NEED SERIOUS HELP

i tried IvEr PSP V5.00 English version on my psp go version 6.20 PRO B6 or 7
    permanent patch
    i turned it on and it looks like an ipod touch lock screen (its on its side and has that “slide to unlock thing) so turn the psp go around and hold the down arrow (now the right) and the thingy slides BUT THEN it tells me that there is an error and i should press start to reboot it, i reboot it AND THE SAME THING HAPPENS, i cant access usb mode to delete the files either!

PLEASE HELP WOLOLO

here’s my email address : Jacob.Origami@gmail.com

26. d says:

pspgrader makes it easy to create a magic memory stick

27. ahmed says:

my psp version is 5.55 i cant update , how to update this version ? plz help me

28. andfreak says:

dear mister munch, if you cant access usb mode, try using a memory card reader.

29. iSWORD says:

Helolo Wololo! When will you add the PSP E1000 (PSP Street) to this list?! And when will you add 6.60 to the list of versions in /wagic/hen/ ?

• wololo says:

I’ll try to update this guide sometimes this week

• James says:

First i think that Wagic is great (tried only the windows version)- keep the good work !!!

I think of buying a new PSP E1004 – several questions
        1. is it like the E1000?
        2. does the hack in this guide (the E1000 section) will work?
        3. Will l be able to play all available iso/cso with this hacks, or some games dont work.
        4. Is there any difrrence in the hack from the 3000 version?

P.S
        Is there a plan to make a version pf Wagic to Android?

Thanks
        James.

• wololo says:

Hi James. Please note that I have little information about the PSP Street (E1000), but from my understanding it is hackable exactly like the PSP 3000
          1) E1004 is the same as E1000, yes. The last number in the PSP number only represents the region where it was bought.
          2) yes, the hack will work
          3) As far as I know, most isos work on the PRO Custom firmware. Note however that since this PSP doesn’t have a UMD drive, you don’t really need isos (which are useful mainly if you don’t want to carry the UMD), as you will be able to directly play games bought from the PSN.
          4) From the user point of view, there is no difference between the hack on the 3000 and the hack on the PSP street

Wagic on android: yes, you can help with the beta test here: http://www.wololo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3208

30. lol. the guides are like all the same.
    except for maybe the introductory paragraphs. XD

• wololo says:

The “Power users” section is different for each console too. But basically, yes. I’ve seen that people prefer to have a page dedicated to their own console rather than a generic guide which would become confusing with time.

31. Sean G. says:

Good job guys. I have PSP Slim 3001 (Model 9g) with 6.39 OFW but I am thinking of upgrading to 6.60 OFW before installing 6.60PRO-B10 CFW. Is it advisable for me to update to 6.60 OFW and how do I detect which board it has, so I can decide if I can install CIPL flasher. Or should I just stay with Fast recovery?
    WHich CFW is the best and why?

32. Sean G. says:

I found out that there is a 6.60PRO-B10 CFW and also 6.60PRO-B10 fix1,. Should I install the 6.60PRO-B10 before running the 6.60PRO-B10 Fix1 or can I just run the 6.60PR-B10 Fix without the first one?

33. Sean G. says:

Please, which is the best Custom firmware that i can install on a PSP Slim 3001 (Model 9g)? What is the difference between the HEN and ProCFW and which one is better?

• PSPcfwDUDE says:

well….first of all let me tell you the difference.

HEN = It is a homebrew enabler that enables you to play tons of homebrews,emulators,apps.

ProCFW = It enables you to play homebrews,emulators,apps,
      PSP Backups,plugins.

Now the best thing to use is ProCFW(my choice).It totally enables psp’s full potential.trust me,you’ll love it!!

• toBsucht says:

Sean G. your psp is most likely a brite not a slim.

procfw is a hen with a lot of build in plugins like isoloader etc. (pro most likey the best for backups)

tn-hen is a hen without permanent patch or isoloader.
        you can run “all” the stuff that working with procfw,
        plugins for example to load isos, run apps emulators hbs etc..

note that thier are some problems after downgrade a g9 psp.

with “all” 6.xx psp you have a choise between two or more hen. Switching is no problem (to run some stuff which may does not work with one of them)

34. Raldo says:

i Have a psp go how to hack it

35. Raldo says:

Thanks a lot dog the pro cfw works on my psp go, i have a lot of games now

36. moolash says:

I have an E1004 (Hungary) with 6.50 OFW.
    I understand, I just update to 6.60 and than flash the CFW?
    Is this method up to now the only way? (running recovery everytime I reboot the PSP doesn’t seem to be a big thing)
    Last Q: if I just want to revert, I just install the 6.60 OFW and I am back to “bring back for warranty” state?

(I know how to flash phones, I just had these noobis questions, sorry)

• PSPcfwDUDE says:

you update to 6.60 then you flash the CFW
      and if you want to go to the ‘bring back for warranty’ state you just launch the PROUPDATE program and you press Δ to unistall the CFW and your ‘official’.

37. Albinoslug says:

Hey Wololo i have a PSP 3001 with OFW 6.20, updating to 6.60 and installing the Pro CFW 6.60 is safe? , have any probability to “brick”? thanks

• toBsucht says:

Albinoslug no need to update. Updates cann´t brick your system.
      Things you should know:
      1. Plugins (prx) can brick a system if you use them wrong >
      2. Flash is memory in each psp with nessary operating system files (prx, font etc.). If you mess with the flash you have a high chance to get a full brick. (full-hackabel maybe only semibrick)
      so try to dump / backup your flash.
      3. You can use a faked 6.60 version.txt to play your orginal psp game with 6.20 Firmware or to use psn.
      4. downgrade is much more risky then update.

38. Walter says:

Hello i have a PSP-E1004 Version 6.50 How can i flach it?

39. yash says:

i have a psp 3001 does these method will work on it or not?

40. Alex says:

Hey, nice tutorial, but I have one problem. My select button is stuck, so I can’t access the recovery menu to run a remap or a macro plugin. Is there any way around this?

41. vinz says:

hey dude i have a psp e1004 street
    can ya help me

42. Sam says:

what do i do if i have 2 memory sticks? do i need to put any of these files on the second one? is Pro B10 uninstallanle if i have problems? thanks

43. Sam says:

sorry, i misspelled uninstallable

44. Sam says:

I want to install Pro B10 6.60 on my PSP Go. do i have to install it on a memory stick or can it be installed in the system storage?

• toBsucht says:

you don´t need to copy all files from stick to stick
      (except plugins and other custom stuff which is in use)
      6.60 is a non permant fw (pspgo isn´t full hacked^^).
      No files in flash if you reboot!

45. venkat says:

Plzz Help to download games for my PSP 3004 version.6.60.! i have downloaded many games and applications..they are not working.! i donno how to install them into my PSP.. thank you.! waiting for the reply:)

46. pspfreak says:

hey guys i have a PSVita some one please help me. im not a noob at this, i have fully hacked psp 1000 completely with Pandora bat and magic memory sick, running remote joy, all homebrews, theme packs, and umd dumper. i have no idea where to start with Exploiting the PSVita, i know there are no hacks for it but i do know you can get homebrews on it and i have see the ones that are compatible. can any1 help me plz!?!?! thankyou so much .

47. Mr.Flake says:

Hey,

A Looong time ago i did the Pandora trick to get to 4.01 m33-2.

Now, I’ve pulled the dust off my PSP-1003 and would love to get it up-to-date, but forgive me I’m a little rusty after a few years!

Can I use install this over 4.01 m33-2 straight off the bat? or should i do something else first?

Also – is this pretty much the best method for custom firmware these days? I feel like a n00b again…

48. Stefano Rickeets says:

Thank you very much! I never knew hacking my PSP 3001 was this easy and without the risk of bricking. Thanks again! :-)

49. IH8S0NY says:

There should be one for ME CFW

50. Genesis says:

P.S.G.C.

Runs pro b 10 CFW with XMBcontrol and vsh

Build in memory in N1004 makes it possable to run remotejoy & pspdisp without plugin changes

minnimum loadtime cuse of 14gb ef0 build in memory/ also got 8gb micro sd2 memory

Pro b 10 need no external eboot loader like iso tool or prometheus,
    Makes Eboot shell on boot-up / WORKS FOR BOTH ISO & CSO FILES and with catagorise prx

On upload pro b 10 has been set to auto run XMBControl

Catagorise prx (VSH) & Catagorise prx (POPS) installed and set to hide uncatagorised folders & ISO FILES

N1004 comes with a build in WIDE Color depth option, (is activated)

CAT FOLDERS ACTIVATED
    _EF0 (RPG – ACTION – STRATEGY – FIGHTING – DRIVING) / PRO B 10 IS UNCATAGORISED LOCATED ON EF0 & MS0 root
    _MS0 (PSX – MINIS – SNES – GAMEBOY ADVANCED – CFW & XMB – APPLICATIONS – DISPLAY)

HBL CFW INSTALLED AND ACCESSABLE FOR MS0/ DOES ONLY EBOOT – INSTALLED IN XMB & CFW FOLDER IF NEEDED

REMOTE PRX IS AUTOMATICLY ACTIVATED ON CFW PBO B 10 BOOT UP (REMOTEJOYLITE.EXE FILES IS PRELOADED ON MS0)

LIGHT EXPAND PRX IS SET AND PRELOADED ON PRO B 10 START UP / 4 STEPS SWITCH

cXMB PRX GAMEBOOT IS PRELOADED FROM MS0 ON PRO B 10 BOOT-UP

VSH MENU PRX INSTALLED / ACCESS FROM XMB BY PRESSING SELECT BUTTON

USBVERSION.TXT/VERSION.TXT/USBVERSIONFAKE.TXT PRX ACTIVATED ON PRO B 10 BOOT-UP

TOTALNOOBS TN HEN E RESENTLY HAS SOME SORT OF MALFUNCKTION AND IS NOT IN USE (I´LL GET BACK TO THIS LATER)

UPDATE 6.20 CFW PRO B 10 HAS SHOWN NO SIGNS OF LACKING BEHAVIOR WHATSOEVER ON BUILD IN M33 DRIVER..

DIGITAL COMICS WORKS LIKE A CHARM

SENSME SEEMS WORKING / UNCERTENED & NOT FULLY TESTED

PSN LOGIN & STORE WORKS LIKE A CHARM

PRO SETTINGS EXTRA MENU APPLAYED IN XMB SYSTEM MENU

BLUETOOTH DEVICE DOSENT SEEM WORKING WHILE USING REMOTEJOY PLUGINS. IT WORKS IN PSPDISP BUT ONLY IN WLAN

RECOVERY MENU IS ACCESSABLE FROM VSH MENU IN XMB AND PRO SETTINGS IN XMB SYSTEM MENU

SWAP X/O ACTIVATED AND LOCKED TO 6.20 XMB

PAUSE GAME HAS MALFUNCTION ON EF0 YET WORKING FINE ON MS0 (GUESS ITS SOME PLUGIN FAILURE, NOT FULLY TESTED)

DUE TO PLUGINS USB ACTIVATION MUST BE TOGGLED FROM XMB VHS/ WORKS WELL

• Genesis says:

SensMe Fully tested & works like a charm

Hud Prx has been activated (Not quite sure but think this plugin may cause some sort of plugin disturbance)

Still haven´t tested nor figured out the cause of TN HEN E´s
      malfunction Yet as for now i won´t do anymore examination of this problem since it would seem like a step back compared to PRO B 10 6.20 CFW

Any suggestions or recommendations for which Homebrew and Prx plugins i should be testing next??

1. February 24, 2011

[…] don’t even know if they can run a CFW on their PSP or not, or what solutions exist for them.CFW For Dummies is my humble attempt at making an up to date guide on how to install a CFW or Homebrew solution on […]

2. May 29, 2011

[…] LoaderWagicHomebrewsSecurity TutorialsContactDonate/Talk forumsGenesis CompetitionCFW For DummiesSubscribe to feed‹ PSPsych – you always need a dice (PSP Genesis compo […]

3. June 11, 2011

[…] LoaderWagicHomebrewsSecurity TutorialsContactDonate/Talk forumsGenesis CompetitionCFW For DummiesSubscribe to feed‹ Sony’s racketwareGA_googleFillSlot("Blog_header");TN Hen for 6.39 […]

4. December 3, 2011

[…] SupaBoy portable SNES, is it cool or useless? · Wololo.netvar _gaq=_gaq||[];_gaq.push(['_setAccount','UA-15990907-1']);_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);(function(){var ga=document.createElement('script');ga.type='text/javascript';ga.async=true;ga.src=('https:'==document.location.protocol?'https://ssl&#039;:'http://www&#039;)+'.google-analytics.com/ga.js';var s=document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga,s);})();GS_googleAddAdSenseService("ca-pub-7101223807014632");GS_googleEnableAllServices();GA_googleAddSlot("ca-pub-7101223807014632","Blog_header");GA_googleFetchAds();Wololo.netWagic, Half-Byte Loader, PSP Programming, and Homebrewsgoogle_ad_client="pub-7101223807014632";google_ad_slot="3782179532";google_ad_width=728;google_ad_height=15;HomeHEN/Custom FirmwareHalf-Byte LoaderWagic/Talk ForumsHomebrewsContactSubscribe to feedjQuery(document).ready(function(){var container=jQuery('#navigation > ul'),navbar;if(container.length>0){navbar=new Tarski.Navbar(container);}});‹ The real price of the PS VitaGA_googleFillSlot("Blog_header");SupaBoy portable SNES, is it cool or useless? December 3, 2011 in hardware, Homebrew | No commentsToday I saw on engadget an article about the SupaBoy, a portable SNES system that will run your old SNES cartridges. It looks really great, a bit (a lot?) old-school, and engadget mention that it has video out and 2 slots to plug-in original SNES controllers, so you can also use it a home console.Honestly it’s a cool gadget, I can picture myself coming to a friend’s home and play old-school games on this device… at less than 80$, it’s fairly cheap too…But of course, for 80$ you can get a refurbished PSP 1000, or if you want something new, for just a bit more you can get a new PSP 3000. A quick CFW install, and in less than five minutes you can get one of the best emulators out there, Snes9xTYL, up and running all your SNES games out of the box. No need for the cartridges, that’s what I call portable So, real portability VS cool gadget that can be used as a home console… I think I still prefer my PSP, but I guess it can be a nice Christmas present…what do you guys think?source enGadgetHow to run SNES Games on your PSPIf you haven’t done it already, install a Custom firmware on your PSP. This process is free, takes less than 5 minutes, and has less risks for your PSP than installing an official Sony update.Download Snes9x Tyl and copy it on your memory stickPut some SNES roms in the “ROMS” folder of Snes9x (I won’t tell you where to get those)That’s it! Launch Snes9x from your PSP menu and have fun google_ad_client="pub-7101223807014632";google_ad_slot="4103309510";google_ad_width=300;google_ad_height=250; No commentsComments feed for this articleTrackback link: http://wololo.net/wagic/2011/12/03/supaboy-portable-snes-is-it-cool-or-useless/trackback/Reply Cancel replyYour email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *Name *Email *Website Your commentYou may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> […]

5. December 13, 2011

[…] PSP Custom Firmware for dummies · Wololo.net […]

6. June 23, 2013

[…] custom firmware on your PSP. If you’ve never done installed a CFW before, I suggest following this tutorial to install 6.60 […]

7. July 29, 2014

[…] I used this guide from wolo.net to get the custom firmware needed on my PSP. MASSIVE WARNING THOUGH: You could potentially brick your console if you do this wrong, so follow the guide carefully, double check everything and you should be fine, just don’t go crying at me if you mess up. Once that’s done all you need is to grab OpenBOR from here, find the PSP engine, pop it onto your PSP in the ‘PSP >Game’ folder and you’re ready to roll. Games can be found in a lot of places, but I found zvitor.com and Chrono Crash to be good resources and there’s plenty of comprehensive torrent collections out there too.  And there is a lot of creative people making a lot of games for the engine, most are remakes/sequels of existing brawlers (Final Fight being the big one) and a lot use assets from other games to create new versions but there’s also some great original material too. I’m gonna run through some of the best ones I’ve found in my short time. By no means a ‘best of’ list, these are just the ones I tried and thought were great, there’s so many out there it’s worth just downloading a load and seeing what takes your fancy. Anyway…onwards! […]