Switch News: Atmosphere 0.14.2 released with the ability to load mesosphere & various bug fixes – Sigpatches already available and version 1.0.0 on the horizon!
Yet another Atmosphere update has descended and this time, it comes a little over a month after the release of Atmosphere 0.14.1. Mostly intended as a bug fix update, Atmosphere 0.14.2 fixes three pesky bugs while also adding support for booting mesosphere which will be integral to the CFW in the future!
What is Atmosphere?
Atmosphere is a free and open-source CFW for the Nintendo Switch that has effectively cemented its place as the go-to CFW for the Nintendo Switch. Originally released in October 2018, Atmosphere has come a long way since then and it packs in various features essential to end-users which include:
- Running homebrew, custom sysmodules and themes
- Installation on one’s microSD card via emuMMC
- Daybreak, a bundled application that allows one to safely update their console without burning fuses
- The ability to mod commercial games and much more!
Other than providing a good amount of features, Atmosphere also sees very active development with it usually supporting new versions of the Switch FW as soon as possible unless significant changes are done by Nintendo. Currently, SciresM is behind the vast majority of commits being made to the project with others such as Adubbz, hexkyz and fincs also helping out.
Atmosphere 0.14.2 released with bug fixes and the ability to load mesosphere binaries
Moving over to recent developments, Atmosphere 0.14.2 has been released with a somewhat short change log that includes:
- Three bug fixes that fix:
- A bug which could cause a deadlock while installing ‘mitm’ services – this is a breaking change so sysmodules that use ‘mitm’ need to be recompiled in order to function properly
- Atmosphere sysmodules no respond incorrectly when they receive invalid messages
- A bug related to fatal auto-reboot timing was fixed
- It is now possible to boot mesosphere using fusee-primary
- Mesosphere is an open-source re-implementation of Horizon OS’ kernel that can already run games and was considered to be around 90% finished in July
- When mesosphere is stable and well-tested, Atmosphere’s version number will finally be incremented to 1.0.0 and mesosphere will be enabled by default
You may get Atmosphere 0.14.2 by following the link below. Working sigpatches for it are also available online and they are pretty easy to find. For those that want to learn more about what’s in store for Atmosphere in the coming year, you may want to check its Roadmap linked below!
Atmosphere 0.14.2 GitHub Release Page: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases
Atmosphere’s Roadmap: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/blob/master/docs/roadmap.md