Emulation: Zelda: Master of Time Romhack for Zelda: Ocarina Of Time on the Nintendo 64 – Around 20 hours of gameplay, a new overworld & more
Nostalgia and sheer love for retro games lead various talented individuals to create intricate mods & hacks for their favourite games with titles such as Chrono Trigger having received many over the years. This time around, a Zelda: Ocarina of Time romhack called Zelda: Master of Time is making the rounds on the internet with it boasting around 20 hours of gameplay and much more!
What is Zelda: Master of Time?
As its name may suggest, Zelda: Master of Time is a mod/romhack for the Nintendo 64 version of the extremely popular game Zelda: Ocarina of Time which was the first 3D game of the TLZ series. Zelda: Master of Time, by Don Camilo, is situated in a brand-new world called Abello in which you play as Link with the main aim of restoring the flow of time with the help of a fairy called Nite. According to the game’s release post on Hylian Modding (link below), the game is set after Link managed to save Hyrule & Termina and has to do with the flow of time freezing completely.
When it comes to the stuff that Zelda: Master of Time brings to the table, one can find:
- About 20 hours of gameplay in a brand-new overworld
- Custom cutscenes & music
- 100 skulltula tokens and 20 hearts that one can find among lots more stuff
How do I get it & install it?
While Zelda: Master of Time’s release post is a bit scant on how to actually get the romhack up and running, a Reddit thread about it managed to clear up the questions that various people had. To get the game up and running, all that one has to do is:
- Acquired a dumped version of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (U) version 1.0 for the Nintendo 64
- Using TLZ: Ocarina of Time version 1.2 will not work as its checksum doesn’t match that of the source ROM
- Download the patch file which comes in BPS format from the release post linked below
- Head over to Rom Patcher JS which is an online tool letting you patch ROMs
- Choose your ROM file & Patch file by using the buttons present on the website
- Click ‘Apply patch’ and download the modified ROM
Speaking from personal experience, the patching process was done fairly quickly and no issues arose after testing the game on Project64 2.3.2 which is the latest public release for Windows to date.
You may read more about Zelda: Master of Time and acquire its patch files, which were updated 2 days ago, by following the link below. To see the game in action, a YouTube video posted yesterday by the romhack maker is linked.
Zelda: Master of Time Release Post on Hylian Modding (contains download links + more info): https://hylianmodding.com/?p=2116