News: Google offers 2 months of Stadia Pro for free with 9 games due to the coronavirus situation – You can try out the alleged future of gaming without spending a cent!
When Google’s Stadia was released in mid-November, some hailed it as the future of gaming while others described it as a pretty painful experience. Now, a couple of months have passed and Google has finally released a free version of Stadia together with a 2 month trial of Stadia Pro!
Google Stadia’s free tier introduced with 2 months of Stadia Pro being given away for free
Up till Wednesday, the only way to make use of Google’s Stadia was by paying a $9.99/month subscription together with buying the games you actually wanted to play but now, that’s no longer the case.
This is because Google has just introduced a free version of Stadia that’s free for everyone to use and the main differences between this and Stadia Pro are:
- A maximum of 1080p resolution rather than 4K although The Verge noted that Stadia’s 4K wasn’t exactly 4K back in November
- Stereo Sound rather 5.1 Surround Sound which will surely make a difference for some but if your audio equipment is pretty basic, it may not affect you much
Together with introducing a free version, Google also started offering a 2 month Stadia Pro trial which gives you the aforementioned benefits of Stadia together with 9 free games. According to a blog post linked below, Google is doing this in order to benefit those stuck at home due to the coronavirus situation as the service is available in some of the worst-hit countries like the USA, Spain and Italy.
A look at the 9 free games available with Stadia Pro & what’s needed to use it
As mentioned above, Stadia Pro comes with 9 free games, some of which are pretty decent, namely:
- Destiny 2: The Collection
- GRID (2019)
- SteamWorld Dig 2
- SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
- Serious Sam Collection
- Stacks on Stacks (on Stacks)
To use Stadia’s free tier and now Stadia Pro, you don’t need any special hardware because as long as you have a Google account and live in a country where the service is available, you can play wherever you want. This includes:
- Supported Android devices by using the Stadia application
- Any PC or laptop with Chrome provided you have an HID-compliant controller which you probably already own
- Chrome OS tablets and Pixel phones
Other than announcing a free trial for new users, Google also won’t be charging existing Stadia Pro subscribers for two months. You may learn more about what Google announced by following the link below. In other scenes, Joonie released a modded version of Rebug 4.86.1 LITE for broken PS3s with defects like a broken BD drive, BT/WiFi module or a corrupted VTRM hash (RSOD).
Google’s blog post about Stadia Pro being free for 2 months: https://blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today/