Switch & PSVita Releases: Atmosphere 0.10.5 with LayeredFS improvements, Staybright for the Vita which disables screen auto-dimming buts keeps suspend together with RetroArch core updates for both!
With some of us bracing themselves for a weekend mostly stuck at home, it’s not all doom and gloom as the Vita & Switch scenes both have some new interesting stuff to check out! In this article, we’ll be looking at the release of Atmosphere 0.10.5, Staybright for the Vita and some RetroArch core updates for both hacked potables.
Switch Releases: Atmosphere 0.10.5 & re-based melonDS core with RSDuck’s JIT
Atmosphere is a CFW for the Nintendo Switch which has cemented its place as one of the major CFWs for the console thanks to the excellent support it sees from its developers, features like emuMMC, sysmodule support from the community and the fact that it’s both free and open-source. Now, Atmosphère 0.10.5 has been released which brings about the following improvements:
- The way fs.mitm builds images when providing a LayeredFS RomFS has been modified
- One of the most important takeaways from this is that LayeredFS now supports games with huge file tables such as Football Manager 2020 and Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Support for games with huge file table sizes was achieved by making the RomFS image creation code more memory efficient as games with file metadata tables exceeding 4MB exhausted fs.mitm’s 16MB memory pool
- Now, the memory requirement has been slashed by around half (from 4x the file table size to 2x the file table size + 0.5MB) – this comes with a minor speed penalty but it shouldn’t be noticeable
- The TLS dumping feature introduced in version 0.10.4 received a fix for an issue that caused it not to dump TLS for certain processes
You may read more and grab Atmosphere 0.10.5 from this link.
In the last few days, the Switch’s RetroArch nightlies started including a re-based melonDS core which includes Generic/RSDuck’s dynarec JIT. This provides great performance improvements especially in 2D titles thus making most of them playable.
You may grab RetroArch Nightlies from this link. The latest standalone melonDS build with JIT can be downloaded from here. Some on Reddit have recommended you reset your RetroArch configuration file for the core to work properly.
PSVita Releases: Staybright & PUAE RetroArch core
Yet another plugin has descended for the PlayStation Vita and this time, it’s Staybright by cuevavirus/Marburg who’s released quite a few other plugins for the console including Quietshot and Music Premium. As its name suggests, this plugin disables screen auto-dimming while keeping auto-suspend enabled which is useful for titles that have long cutscenes or sequences that don’t require you to press any buttons such as dialogue in Visual Novels.
You may grab Staybright from its thread on Team CBPS’ Forum.
Moving to the final piece of news in this article, rsn8887 has fixed the PUAE Amiga core found in RetroArch to compile on the PSVita. This core provides:
- More accurate emulation than that found in UAE4ALL2 albeit with a performance penalty
- Proper Sound FX emulation in IK+
- Support for the ill-fated Amiga CD32
In other scenes, an experimental checra1n 0.9.9 pre-release is out which provides experimental iOS 13.4 support [Reddit Thread for user experiences]. This week, we should also be getting some more information on Team Xecuter’s SX Core & SX Lite hacking solutions for mariko/ipatched and Switch Lite consoles respectively although nothing has been shared yet.