News: RPCS3 gets PlayStation 3D support & the Switch gets a FIFA 20 Mod with lots of added content together with NXThemesInstaller 2.2.1 (includes FW 9.2.0 support)!
Before the rise of VR, there were some efforts to introduce 3D in gaming with limited success and the PlayStation 3 was a recipient of some of these. In this article, we’ll be looking at the introduction of PlayStation 3D support in RPCS3 & the release of a FIFA 20 mod for the Switch alongside NXThemesInstaller 2.2.1.
Emulation News: RPCS3 introduces PlayStation 3D support allowing you to play certain titles in Anaglyph 3D!
Yesterday, the folks behind RPCS3 tweeted out that the emulator now supports PlayStation 3D, a feature that allows for the implementation of 3D functionality in games.
This feature, which was introduced with PS3 FW 3.30 released in April 2010, is supported by 78 titles which include some pretty popular ones including Crysis, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Doom 3 BFG Edition, Hatsune Miku Project Diva F, WipeOut HD and numerous others meaning that there’s certainly something of interest to try out.
As the RPCS3 folks only shared information about the newly added feature through Twitter, information is a tad sparse but tweets have revealed that:
- As of right now, only Anaglyph (red & blue) 3D is supported with Stereo 3D support coming soon
- Anaglyph 3D can be displayed on any monitor provided you have the 3D glasses required. On the other hand, Stereo 3D requires a compatible monitor so you can’t view it everywhere
- Output to VR headsets isn’t supported since RPCS3 only renders to a single GSFrame for now
To experience PlayStation 3D on your PC, you may grab the latest build of RPCS3 from this link and turn on 3D mode. Games demonstrated to be working in some capacity include Super Stardust HD, Doom 3 BFG, de Blob 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. You may support RPCS3’s development through Patreon.
Switch Releases: FIFA 20 Patch & NXThemesInstaller 2.2.1 are out
Moving over to the Switch, the console has just received a mod/patch for FIFA 20 Legacy Edition, a commercial football title.
This mod, by diazjesux, comes with a pretty good deal of stuff which football fans from all over the world will surely love that includes:
- The licensing of River, Boca, Juventus, U Chile and Colo-Colo
- Licensed kits, kit numbers, fonts and mini-kits for the Italain Serie B (Serie BKT)
- The addition of kits, kit numbers, fonts and mini-kits for the Russian League
- The addition of Flamengo, Corinthians, Sao Paulo, Vasco and Palmeias
- 4 added stadiums
- 800 mini-faces, the replacement of some sound tracks and templates from 13/02/2020
To read more about FIFA 20 Patch, follow this link which details installation instructions together with some other information.
Other than a pretty feature-packed mod for one of the most popular football games on the Switch, NXThemesInstaller 2.2.1 also landed for those who love customising their Switch. This update, which is somewhat minor, includes:
- Support for the recently released Firmware 9.2.0
- The ability to theme the lock-screen on SX OS
- Only SX OS 2.9.4 Beta is supported as of right now
- Some bug fixes
You may grab NXThemesInstaller 2.2.1 from this link which also includes some SX OS-specific instructions.
In the last two days, the emulation scene received another contribution with the public release of Cemu 1.17.3 (Wii U emulator) which brings some improvements to the JIT and more Vulkan fixes (changelog). The 3DS scene also saw some love with the release of Twilight Menu++ 12.2.1, nds-bootstrap 0.30.1 & 3DStris 1.6.4.