Nintendo Switch: Developer ‘masagrator’ releases 60FPS mods for 7 retail games with more coming soon – Titles include Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and Overcooked 2!
When we hear of console hacks, our mind usually springs to homebrew, plugins and you know what but game modding is also a thing even though it doesn’t see as many people working on it. In this article, we’ll be looking at a series of 60FPS mods for retail Switch games created by masagrator!
What do these mods achieve? For which titles are they available?
As the name suggests, 60FPS mods are hacks applied to retail games that increase their frame limit to 60FPS (usually from 30FPS). Sometimes, games on portable consoles have their framerate limited in order to save on battery life and improve thermals even though the hardware is enough to push out a much high framerate.
In other cases, you need to overclock the device’s CPU and GPU to achieve a framerate closer to 60FPS which is something easily doable on the Switch with sysmodules like sys-clk.
However, not everybody cares about the aforementioned benefits since some folks prefer a smoother experience while sacrificing a bit of battery life. Due to this, masagrator decided to create a bunch of 60FPS mods for retail Switch games which include:
- Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night – A High and Medium Quality variant exist for this mod which require different overclocking settings
- Yooka-Laylee – The 60FPS mode only works in handheld mode as docked mode increases its resolution
- Subdivision Infinity DX
- SINNER: Sacrifice for Redemption
- Overcooked 2
- Make sure to check the recommended overclock settings for each mod as they’re different from one another! Each link contains information about what masagrator changed to achieve 60FPS so it may be worth checking them out if you want to create similar mods.
Will there be any more 60FPS mods?
On Reddit, masagrator has been responding to various queries about his work and he’s currently looking at creating mods for the following titles:
- TT Isle Of Man
- V-Rally 4
- Snake Pass
- Fate/Extella (both)
- He also plans to look at AAA titles such as Spyro when they’re released
As of right now, he’s mostly working on games that use Unreal Engine 4 as they’re more readable and modifiable but he’s also tried looking into Zelda BotW and Xenoblade 2; these proved to be more problematic as physics break in the former and the game runs twice as fast in the latter. If you wish to check out more about his mods, you should view this list he made which includes all 60FPS mods and others which include resolution-changing mods and high quality graphics mods.
Obviously, you must have a hacked Switch in order to use these mods (fusee-gelee vulnerable or ipatched on FW 4.1.0) so if your Switch is still unhacked, you should check out this guide to get hacks on it. If you want to read more stuff about the Switch, you should read this recently published article by Ars Technica about the current state of Android on the Switch and delves into benchmarks, emulation capabilities and more!