Atmosphère 0.8.8 released with Switch Firmware 8.0.0 support – Nintendo’s latest Switch update hacked in time for Easter!
5 days ago, Nintendo released Switch FW 8.0.0 which closed a couple of security holes while also bringing about a couple of minor but welcome additions. Now, Atmosphere 0.8.8 has been released so that you could enjoy the new features while still having a hacked console!
What is Atmosphère?
Atmosphère is a CFW for fusee-gelee vulnerable Nintendo Switch consoles by SciresM, TuxSH, hexkyz, and fincs. It’s almost certainly the most popular Switch CFW and one of the main reasons for that is because the folks behind it tend to push frequent updates to fix issues and make it compatible with new FW versions.
Other than being quite stable and compatible with almost every Switch FW, Atmosphère allows your Switch to do much more than Nintendo lets you do such as:
- Run a truckload of emulators on your Switch letting you play a lot of older titles
- Available emulators include PPSSPP, melonDS and various RetroArch cores that let you emulate the PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, SNES and many other consoles
- Install homebrew games and ports like McOsu NX and NXQuake
- Watch videos through pPlay and explore your microSD card’s file system with NXShell
- Overclock your Switch with sys-clk and install other modules to tweak your experience
- Commercial game modding and a lot more stuff including the ability to browse the web with BrowseNX
What does Atmosphère 0.8.8 bring along?
Atmosphère 0.8.8 is a pretty significant release as it brings about support for the latest version of Nintendo Switch firmware, that is version 8.0.0 which was released a few days ago. Other than support for FW 8.0.0, Atmosphère 0.8.8’s changelog also mentions:
- Custom exception handlers were added to stratosphere modules
- If a crash in a core Atmopshere module occurs, a log is now saved to the SD card
- A bug in creport that sometimes caused games to hang when crashing has been fixed
- An issue in which Maintenance Mode was prevented from booting on FW 7.0.0+ was fixed
- Other bug fixes and minor improvements you can check out by checking the commit history
It is important to note that full sigpatches for FW 8.0.0 aren’t available yet so if you’re into playing NSPs, don’t update just yet. You should also make sure that your favourite homebrew/modules support FW 8.0.0 as some have reported that sys-clk (overclocking tool) and Emuiibo aren’t working on FW 8.0.0.
If you’re on a lower firmware, you should update to Atmosphere 0.8.8 when you have the time especially if you’re impacted by one of the bugs mentioned above!
To get Atmosphere 0.8.8 and run your favourite homebrew on FW 8.0.0, follow the link below to download it and install it on your Switch. As usual, issues should be reported to the Issues Tab of GitHub and remember, hacking your Nintendo Switch makes it somewhat likely to be banned by Nintendo so proceed with caution especially if you’re into installing NSP files.
Atmosphère 0.8.8 download link: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/latest