PS4 Homebrew Store, by LightningMods, released – Getting homebrew on your hacked PS4 is now easier than ever before!
Compared to the PSVita and Switch scenes, homebrew isn’t as numerous and popular when on the PlayStation 4 and perhaps, one reason behind this is because there was no very easy way to install homebrew. Now, that’s changed as LightningMods has released “PS4 Homebrew Store”, a project that he’s been working on for over 3 months!
What is PS4 Homebrew Store?
As its title suggests, PS4 Homebrew Store is a homebrew utility for hacked PlayStation 4 consoles that lets you download/install homebrew directly from the console itself similar to Vita Homebrew Browser. The person behind PS4HS is LightningMods and he received some help from SocraticBliss, TheoryWrong, Znullptr and Flatz while developing it while many others helped with testing. Thanks to his numerous hours of work, PS4HS is pretty feature-packed and it includes:
- The ability to download apps and install them directly on your PS4
- It also shows the firmware that a homebrew application is playable on along with release date/a description/author info/APPID
- You’re shown a progress bar while applications download
- An auto-updater so you needn’t reinstall the PS4HS application again
- Optimisations for slow networks, a hard drive cache and the ability to save PS4HS settings
- Other features such as the ability to uninstall apps, see your local IP address and custom backgrounds and more
What Homebrew is available? How do I install it?
Currently, PS4HS hosts around 50 homebrew applications (split in 7 pages) ranging from utilities, to emulators and homebrew games. Among these, there are NoPSN applications for services such as Netflix, Crunchyroll and Twitch; emulators like PS4NES and PS4-GBEmu; homebrew games like Flappy Bird and much more so you’ll be able to install most of the publicly available PS4 homebrew with it.
Installing PS4 Homebrew Store is pretty easy if you have a hacked PS4 as all you need to do is:
- Download the PS4HS PKG file from the link below
- Copy it over to your PS4 through USB or FTP
- Install it through the package installer
- Enjoy being able to install homebrew easily!
- Obviously, this requires you to have a hackable PlayStation 4 console (i.e a console running FW 5.07 or below for the time being)
Hopefully, PS4HS will increase people’s interest in PS4 homebrew and perhaps make more people create homebrew games, ports and emulators for Sony’s current home console. To get the PKG file and report any issues to LightningMods, check the link below.
PlayStation 4 Homebrew Store Thread (download link + more info): https://forum.darksoftware.net/threads/release-ps4-homebrew-store.8876/