TheFlow publishes announcement about native PSVita FW 3.69 / 3.70 hack – It’s coming in 6-8 weeks and REQUIRES you to have a PSP game/demo installed!
If you have a PSVita or PSTV on FW 3.69 or 3.70, then your wait will soon be over as TheFlow has given us an ETA along with some important information regarding his upcoming hack! Without further ado, let’s look at what TheFlow has in store for us this time.
TheFlow’s Public Service Announcement (PSA) regarding his upcoming FW 3.69/3.70 hack
Earlier today, TheFlow published an important announcement regarding his upcoming hack, which works on the latest PSVita FW (3.70). In the announcement, the following important points can be found:
Unlike HENkaku for FW 3.60 and h-encore for FW 3.65-3.68, this hack runs from the PSP emulator rather than WebKit/savedata
- That being said, the hack is still a native hack like those for FW 3.60-3.68 so you’ll still be able to run all of your favourite homebrew and use plugins
- The hack is set to be released in 6-8 weeks which means it’ll be out in mid/late May 2019
- To use it, you must have a PSP game installed on your PSVita that can be opened; your device must be activated as well. Obviously, the exploited game must not ever be deleted from your system
- This is because the exploit chain that makes the hack possible escapes the PSP emulator in order to execute native ARM code
- Currently, the hack has no name and TheFlow has stated that it’s his last one for the device or at least for the time being
- Finally, TheFlow stated that he’ll be using his Twitter account for InfoSec-related tweets so don’t do stupid comments on his tweets and don’t retweet/like such tweets if you follow him for PSVita-related news only
How can I get a PSP game for my PSVita? Can I back it up so I can reinstall it if I accidentally delete it?
Getting a PSP game on your PSVita is pretty easy but obviously, you must be on the latest firmware to get it since you need access to the PSN store. This is because Sony bars older firmwares from accessing the PSN store in order to force people to update although there are ways around that.
In a nutshell, these are the steps to get a PSP game on your device:
- If your device is on FW 3.69, either update to FW 3.70 OR set your DNS to 188.8.131.52
- Log in with a PSN account and activate your system with it
- Activation is crucial because without it, you won’t be able to open any digital content downloaded from the PSN store
- Don’t ever unlink your PSN account or deactivate your system
Go the PSN store and look for a free PSP demo, the demos you can get vary depending on the store and some stores don’t have one so you have to buy a PSP mini/game or create a PSN account with another region
- Available demos include Ape Quest (EU store), LocoRoco Midnight Carnival (NA/SG store) and YS seven (Japan)
- If you can’t find a free demo, I personally recommend buying Persona 3 Portable if you don’t mind spending $20/25 (depending on region) which I personally think is one of the best PSP games
- PSOne (PS1/PSX) Classics don’t work with this hack!
- Make sure you can open the game
While TheFlow’s announcement is pretty exciting, you shouldn’t nag him for an earlier release as May will eventually be with us! To follow the TheFlow on Twitter, check out the link below and you can also donate a few bucks to him through Patreon as a token of appreciation for his excellent work in the PSVita hacking scene!
TheFlow’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/theflow0
TheFlow’s Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TheOfficialFloW